Ram 3.6l with canister filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to do my first oil change. Do I have to remove the plastic cover on top of the engine to unscrew the top off the filter canister? Also, who makes the best cartridge filter for this application?

thanks!

You do not have to remove the plastic cover. Unscrew the access cap loosen the filter plug and remove the filter. If you want to remove that plastic cover you can it just pops loose and pops back into place. I used the NAPA gold filter on my 2012 Jeep with the 3.6. I will be using a NAPA gold today when I do the first oil change on my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6.

I like the extra space removing the cover gives. I like Wix for this, make sure that there is a replacement o-ring in the box. Also Dodge changed the design in 2013?, make sure you get the newer design or no oil pressure
frown.gif

Youtube below should be good general guide to the oil and filter change. Think you meant 'cartridge' filter in title.

As for cartridge, link should provide a good reference for your choice. Fyi, a Napa Gold cartridge would be the same as Wix.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3431075/2014_3.6_Pentastar_filter_thou

One note, Hyundai/Kia and some others recommend opening the cartridge housing and pulling the cartridge and replacing prior to cracking the oil drain bolt. The idea is to get all the oil out of the housing first. May not matter on the 3.6L, but just throwing it our there for consideration.

Whoa! That is an big'ol obnoxious engine cover on the rear-wheel drive version of the Pentastar V6. Looks like plenty of clearance with the access hole for the oil filter though..

I know on my 2013 Grand Caravan, I like to pull off the engine cover at oil change time just to give everything a look-over. I pop the top off the air cleaner housing and swing it out of the way for better clearance around the oil filter housing on the FWD version of this engine.

The oil canister is located just beside and below the engine cover but will be a little tight to pull it out without spilling oil on the cover or engine.

There is another write up for the 3.6L Pentastar but it's for a Dodge Journey which may have different engine cover.

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Dodge-Journey-Pentastar-V6-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide/index.html

EDIT Found the Update interesting (as I noted above)." The service manual recommends that you loosen or remove the oil filter cap before draining the oil to allow the old oil from the oil filter cavity to drain down to the sump. If you don't loosen or remove the oil filter cap before draining the old oil, all of the old oil will not be drained from the engine."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back