1993 BMW 318i Radiator Leak- Best product to fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn

Follow-up how? Or are you just spitting back sour grapes?

What do you want him to do, come back in a year and show how his non-leaking new radiator would somehow been just as good had he put in a stop-leak? Or the other way around? How's he supposed to compare?

Actually your comments make me quite sure he did the right thing.

You are a piece of work. Really? Maybe it takes him a week to put the thing in. Not everyone is mechanically inclined but you guys assumed anyone should be able to put a radiator in. Maybe he breaks something else while doing the work. Maybe he slices his hand open.

Stop leak would have done fine. How many more miles do you expect to get out of that car? Not so cut and dry for me.

If you think stop leak ruins an engine, don't even bother to buy a used car. Or where do you think the millions of bottles of this stuff go? Don't buy anything new GM because they've admitted to putting pellets in new cars. How about all the "honest" manufacturers who have not admitted to it.

PLEASE

The OP did what he was most comfortable with. Would stop leak have done the job? Maybe. Once a plastic radiator cracks it's generally indicative of weakness throughout the plastic. For reliability and peace of mind $140 is not bad at all.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Once a plastic radiator cracks it's generally indicative of weakness throughout the plastic. For reliability and peace of mind $140 is not bad at all.

Then xx hours of his time or a shop bill to put it in. Who said the plastic is cracked? How do we even know its the radiator? No one asked enough follow up. We have so many jumping out of their skins to help when they probably don't qualify.

But hey, carry on.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
You are a piece of work. Really? Maybe it takes him a week to put the thing in. Not everyone is mechanically inclined but you guys assumed anyone should be able to put a radiator in. Maybe he breaks something else while doing the work. Maybe he slices his hand open.

Stop leak would have done fine. How many more miles do you expect to get out of that car? Not so cut and dry for me.

If you think stop leak ruins an engine, don't even bother to buy a used car. Or where do you think the millions of bottles of this stuff go? Don't buy anything new GM because they've admitted to putting pellets in new cars. How about all the "honest" manufacturers who have not admitted to it.

PLEASE

A week to change out a radiator? Hand slicing?

And don't worry, I do not plan on buying anything GM. But did I ever say I thought stop-leak ruins engines?

Please. You're starting to lose it I think.

Then xx hours of his time or a shop bill to put it in. Who said the plastic is cracked? How do we even know its the radiator? No one asked enough follow up. We have so many jumping out of their skins to help when they probably don't qualify.

But hey, carry on.

True.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
A new Behr radiator.

This. It's an E36. If it hasn't had it, it's FAR past due for a complete cooling system overhaul. And they're cheap to do too, thats a sub-$150 OEM name brand radiator.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Few years ago, probably 2-3 years, OEM Behr radiator of my E430 had a leak at the connector, replaced with Behr and so far it is working well, hopefully it will lasted 8-10 years.

I agreed with recommendation of Behr for German cars.

Please follow up on this. You initially didn't want to spend the money/time on a 22year 360k mile vehicle and the OCD group talked you into doing the radiator instead of stop leak. I'd like to know when all said and done whether you think it was the right decision.

I replaced radiator in E430 about a year before I replaced radiator in LS400.

I tried Bahr stop leak several times in few weeks, it didn't work on 20 years old 360k miles radiator plastic neck.

I also tried Bahr stop leak in E430 radiator and it didn't seal the broken plastic neck either.

Yes, I tried a cheap and easy steps first before replacing radiator. I didn't success in using Bahr stop leak tablets, but it made me felt better when I shell out real money for a real radiator.

The OP did what he was most comfortable with.

The OP did what the group browbeat him into.

You have a low opinion of the OP and an awfully high one of yourself. Enjoy your bailing wire and duct tape. I'll wave when you're stuck on the roadside.

Once a plastic radiator cracks it's generally indicative of weakness throughout the plastic. For reliability and peace of mind $140 is not bad at all.

But hey, carry on.

If "WE" don't know it's the radiator, how do "WE" know "stop leak" will work?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

If "WE" don't know it's the radiator, how do "WE" know "stop leak" will work?

Think about it some more. Then get back with me.

Hint. Stop leak seals everything.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
A new Behr radiator.

Behr or Nissens will work fine in this application. Just don't use a Valeo aftermarket one or anything from China or Taiwan.

Denso's aftermarket radiators are made in Taiwan but by a company that they have a stake in.

In that car, the radiator can be replaced in about a half-hour, start to finish, if one is proficient. Drain it (if you care to catch the coolant), two rivets, two clips, two hose clamps, and lift it out, finish in reverse order, refill, and bleed. Oops, forgot the three screws and two rivets for the top valance cover.

A $140 radiator (includes new expansion tank) plus about $16 for a jug of coolant is certainly cheaper than a damaged head/gasket which will total the car instantly. M42s are not tolerant of overheating, so why mess around with a 20+ year old radiator?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back