Lubrication Myths-Lake Speed Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

The "shear" off the shaft argument would be under more extremely viscus conditions. Have you ever seen a drop of oil move around in a hot non stick pan? A lack or break in adhesion.

What does a teflon coated frying pan have to do with a journal on an IC engine ?

You flounder with your assertions, then "look over there a bunny".

If you search, you can find papers that describe exactly that, coating things in oleophylic coatings, to prevent adhesion. It's new stuff, not thick oil in an SBC or any other engine made in the last 100 years.

Would link you up, but then I'd be accused of only posting other's works.

There is a post long ago from someone who sounded like a research engineer. He was talking about the reptiling effect of molecules right before boundary conditions that caused a synthetic to act like a higher grade.

Its not like no one agrees with me.

Linkage ?

Are you talking about the pressure/viscosity effect at the extreme of EHD ?

Or something else ?

I wish you'd think outside the box a little more. That's how new things are invented.

Given that I'm the only bloke in Oz (reputedly further than that) to have developed a method of replacing snapped turbine blades with finger an pin roots without taking the rotors out, and developed an inconel welded cover band repair that didn't require PWHT, I'm doing OK with headspace and boxes without having to make up unicorn effects.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
turtlevette,
as to 2, your premise was that the viscous oil sheared straight off the shaft, before you changed your tune to not getting drawn into the clearances...just saying, and also you never backed the statement with anything before you changed it to "cavitation" in that thread.

The article is an advertorial, not an engineering journal. There is a difference in how information is purveyed in the two fields. Of all people, you should know that.

A thicker oil will have lower side leakage, which will draw less oil from the galleries, which will make it run warmer...pure and simple. Have explained the process ad nauseum for a decade...go and have a look at the how bearings work thread, and follow the charts.

As to number 1, I don't recall us ever "debating that", except for your thinner lubricant that behaves like a thick lubricant in every aspect except viscosity...again which you've never backed with anything.

If you have a dino oil that is shear prone, and a synth that isn't, then of course over the course of an OCI you will have a difference.

If the bearing needs an HTHS of 3, a lubricant with an HTHS of 2.6, synthetic or dino is not going to help.
Awesome !!!!!!!

Dropping fully a grade or two IS a big deal.

It's not slipping across a line, but a pounce into the next state.

That being said, it could be the world's most marginal just in spec 5W30 that they found.
Just think if they used Amsoil in the test !.

If the bearing needs an HTHS of 3, a lubricant with an HTHS of 2.6, synthetic or dino is not going to help.

We need to hear this argument in the xw30 vs xw40 Euro oil thread.

Over in that thread it was argued that an API xw30 posed little risk across all Euro engine that allow for a xw30, yet we know the API version can shear down to a xw20.

Given that I'm the only bloke in Oz (reputedly further than that) to have developed a method of replacing snapped turbine blades with finger an pin roots without taking the rotors out, and developed an inconel welded cover band repair that didn't require PWHT, I'm doing OK with headspace and boxes without having to make up unicorn effects.

I thought turbine blades were modular and keyed. You're talking about pinning a blade back together? Im not familiar with your acronyms. I'd like to hear more about it.

Why do you need to know?

So you can work beside Homer Simpson at a Nuclear power plant?

Or so you can take the information to another forum and pretend
you invented something?

Originally Posted By: Benito
Over in that thread it was argued that an API xw30 posed little risk across all Euro engine that allow for a xw30, yet we know the API version can shear down to a xw20.

Off topic, but the point behind that is under normal, everyday operations. Various German makes used to allows substantially thinner oils under certain weather and driving conditions. The fact that some people can't read manuals or follow instructions (including dealerships) combined with some overly optimistic OCIs, along with improvements in oils, led to specifications that were more stringent and included an HTHS minimum.

I thought turbine blades were modular and keyed. You're talking about pinning a blade back together? Im not familiar with your acronyms. I'd like to hear more about it.

As a power industry professional turtle, I'm not sure what you are fishing for here...the various blade root attachments are pretty well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back