ATF Change 2003 Toyota Sienna 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not my car - no manuals but done some searching. ATF "possibly" changed once more than 7 years ago, now has 160K, shifts well. Lucky owner - total lack of maintenance all around. Appears to have 2 drain plugs, 10mm hex. One in pan is obvious, other is rear facing in what forums call the differential, but this is FWD only. Is this correct? Calls for DexII or III (unavailable), I have 2 gallons Maxlife. How much fluid will drain when removing both plugs? Also plan to do a pan drop and install new filter (wow - like the old days of a GM TH400, etc - thanks Toyota - seen too any Hondas, etc). Need spec for pan bolts also and any other tips, advice, warnings, etc.

Last edited:
Yes, this is correct! And I believe only about 2.5-4.5 qts will drain. One gallon should be fine but, you may have to open the 2nd gallon to top off.

I believe that side plug(for the F:Diff) will drain another ~1/2 qt. Look for a fill plug above the drain plug for the Diff. Otherwise, the Diff will be refilled with the ATF as ONE UNIT but, I'm not sure on that! Camry's were similar!

DEXRON III/Mercon(or obsolete DEX II/III) is the correct ATF for this generation of Siena. And MaxLife should be a good choice though many prefer Mobil 1 ATF(same for P/S unit)!

The older Japanese cars like a little thicker ATF, Amsoil ATF (not ATF light) works very well in these.
This is a perfect candidate for a line off exchange. Drain the pan, change the filter and replace the amount that came out.

Before starting the engine remove the return line from the radiator or transmission and attach a piece of PCV clear tubing, put it in a gallon jug.
Have someone start the engine and shut it off when about 3 qts are in the jug, reconnect the line refill and check the level. This only holds 8.5 qts so that should be enough.

The final drive hold approx 1 qt so a 2.5 gallon container from Amsoil will work with 1/2 a qt to spare.
This should be good for 50-75K in this transmission.

Pan bolts are 7.8Nm or 69 inch pounds, just firm with a 1/4" ratchet is more than good enough.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The older Japanese cars like a little thicker ATF, Amsoil ATF (not ATF light) works very well in these.
This is a perfect candidate for a line off exchange. Drain the pan, change the filter and replace the amount that came out.

Before starting the engine remove the return line from the radiator or transmission and attach a piece of PCV clear tubing, put it in a gallon jug.
Have someone start the engine and shut it off when about 3 qts are in the jug, reconnect the line refill and check the level. This only holds 8.5 qts so that should be enough.

The final drive hold approx 1 qt so a 2.5 gallon container from Amsoil will work with 1/2 a qt to spare.

Pan bolts are 7.8Nm or 69 inch pounds, just firm with a 1/4" ratchet is more than good enough.

Thanks for the info. Should rear drain bolt be removed also? Are those magnetic plugs? Is there just one fill port or 2 as mentioned by other poster? Which is the return line hose at the radiator tank connection - driver or passenger side?

Last edited:
Pull both drain plugs. Measure amount drained. Replace drain plug washers. Torque drain plugs to prevent stripping and leaking. Refill with amount drained, test drive, recheck level and top off as needed.

Any universal multi vehicle ATF that mentions your spec can be used. Valvoline And Castrol Import ATFs are good choices.

Mercon V is another good upgrade, available, and reasonably priced.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Pull both drain plugs. Measure amount drained. Replace drain plug washers. Torque drain plugs to prevent stripping and leaking. Refill with amount drained, test drive, recheck level and top off as needed.

Any universal multi vehicle ATF that mentions your spec can be used. Valvoline And Castrol Import ATFs are good choices.

Mercon V is another good upgrade, available, and reasonably priced.

Thanks, but I am looking to do a complete fluid exchange based on the method that Trav explained above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: Trav

Thanks for the info. Should rear drain bolt be removed also? Are those magnetic plugs? Is there just one fill port or 2 as mentioned by other poster? Which is the return line hose at the radiator tank connection - driver or passenger side?

There is a drain bolt for the differential and one in the pan. There may or may not be a fill plug for the diff, the book i have shows one but some claim it is filled by the transmission. You fill the transmission through the dipstick.
I will post a picture so you can see if one is there.

The passengers side should be the return line so put the clear hose on the radiator nipple after removing the hose. Keep a pan under the other end of the hose just in case.

Screenshot_zpscirb85nv.png

Thanks Trav. I don't see a differential fill plug. So I have to assume filling the trans thru the dipstick also fills the diff? That pic does not apply to this car.

Last edited:
Its listed as a 03 Sienna 3.0 but there may have been mid year changes.
Yes fill it through the fill tube, it will fill the diff at the same time.

Edit: A bigger picture..

Screenshot-1_zpsadjvv6xg.png

Last edited:
That's the same unit only a different view. This snapshot is of the diff part of it only. Where the diff drain plug is in the rear of the unit on the side.
If there is a fill it wont be flat in the side but on a small boss. 35104Q in your picture

Owning a 2002 Sienna, I'll verify that the tranny and differential share the same sump. Actually, if you open the differential first, and let it drain, most of the fluid will run out through it, with, say 1/4 remaining in the tranny pan.

I use Chevron MD3 ATF. You can find cases on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back