Kumho Solus KR21

Status
Not open for further replies.
As they say, everything happens in threes.

Went out today to do an oil change on the 2003 Ranger in my signature, size 22570R15. Got to looking at the tires, and found that they are engaged in the process of dry rotting. In fact, they are even worse than the ones on our Odyssey, which I have not gotten around to replacing yet. That takes the count up to eight tires.

Since I also now have to replace a dying refrigerator this week, I would rather not spend a fortune on tires for this truck since this is not a DD. Was looking on DTD, and saw that they are running a deal on these Kumho tires for $86 each with a $75. rebate on 4 with a $60. rebate if you purchase on their credit card. This would put a set of 4 at $209. not including tax, mounting, and balancing with free shipping.

Anyone have any experience with these tires?

There factory on Hyundai Sonata's, and several other vehicles.

IMO, there a joke. Every car I've been in with them sounds like it needs a set of wheel bearings.

Maybe the aftermarket model is better, but my experience with them isn't stellar.

Our 2011 Subaru Outback is running them. They do fine in all kinds of weather. Downside is that we got about 45K miles on them.

My next set will probably be Labor Day DTD sale.

This particular set I got from a Subaru dealer a ways away, and I am not pursuing the mileage warranty issue. Intend to invoke the mileage warranty with The next set from DTD, if they wear the same, and will see what the DTD warranty business is all about.

The Solus KR21 has been replaced with the TA11

For $255 after the same rebates, and an additional Cooper rebate, you can get the Cooper Discoverer AT3

I don't have experience with Kumho Solus KR21, I think it is fairly old design of about 4-5 years.

Hankook Optimo H724 is better than Kumho Solus KR21, I think. At $72/ea your cost of 4 is about $150 after rebate, plus installation/balance.

I 2nd Cooper for this price range right now. Kumho tends to wear faster. KR21 is a much older model tire now, right? Get whatever the latest Cooper tire is available in the same price range.

I just got a set of CS5 Ultra's on the way from DT as they price matched DTD. I 'did' agree to pay tax, but after all still $310 post rebate installed. I'll be reporting on those later. It looks like the A/T3 or Radial G/T are the best options in this tire size:

http://us.coopertire.com/customer-care/t...204x2&tab=0

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

For $255 after the same rebates, and an additional Cooper rebate, you can get the Cooper Discoverer AT3

Just ordered four of the Cooper Discoverer AT3's. Didn't see the additional Cooper rebate until you pointed it out. Thanks for the assistance everyone.

The Solus KR21 are good for the price for normal daily driving. If the coopers are the same price as the solus, I would get the coopers

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

I would say no comparison, get the Coopers. Have them on my RAM and they are excellent tires.

I got 50kmi+ out of a set of KR21s on my 2000 Ranger. No complaints, a good tire overall. Wore evenly but most do with a consistent rotation schedule. This was in the south, however, so no comment on snow/ice handling.

UPDATE: The Coopers were delivered to my door yesterday and I had Discount Tire install them this morning. Very happy with them so far, they are a better (and more appropriate choice) than the Kumho's. Wish the alignment went as well as the tire installation did. Still trying to calm down from that experience.

Thanks for the update. I hope you get many enjoyable miles out of them
smile.gif

Nice. Thanks for the update. I had to have mine ordered as well, but since I went 'through' DT locally I had to let them order. However, DT somehow dropped the layaway / request? So, I have to wait 1 more week, but at least I submitted my rebates already. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back