Oil filter cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered this bad boy, I have 5 filters in waiting......
20.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Filter-Cutte...470&vxp=mtr

I hope it works out for you, mostly good reviews but one review mentions it has sub par quality and doesn't cut well.

I use tin snips and cut around the base plate, works good especially on cheaper filters.

I use a hacksaw. I cannot justify paying $32.00 plus $6.00 for freight for a cutting tool which does not provide a solution to anything.. I can buy a lot of filters for that money.

Last edited:
Hey Chevy
Nice Cutter, remember to remove the gasket before you put it in the cutter. That way you get a smooth cut and it doesnt wobble when u try to cut it.

TSR6,,

I have had my eyes on the Longacre but have a concern.

Is the cutting bade servicable...aka do they make replacements if it gets nicked or become dull OR can you sharpen it?

I've read the Caterpillar is no slouch either and there is a dealer the next town over!

The blade on this one looks to be almost identical to a Ridgid pipe cutter wheel. Theyre all fairly similar. Shouldnt be too bad to find a wheel.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I use a hacksaw. I cannot justify paying $32.00 plus $6.00 for freight for a cutting tool which does not provide a solution to anything.. I can buy a lot of filters for that money.

I've often wondered why oil filter cutters cost so much.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: Lubener

I've often wondered why oil filter cutters cost so much.
$38 is not much to cure my curiousity.

I use the cheap exhaust tubing cutter on anything small, for bigger filters I bout one on E-bay, have not used but thanks Merdog for the tip about removing the gasket, makes sense.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
TSR6,,

I have had my eyes on the Longacre but have a concern.

Is the cutting bade servicable...aka do they make replacements if it gets nicked or become dull OR can you sharpen it?

I've read the Caterpillar is no slouch either and there is a dealer the next town over!
Filter cutters are designed around existing cutter wheels so replacement cutter wheels for most any Ridgid tubing cutter will work. I have a Longacre and it has been satisfactory in cutting Denso and OEM Denso made oil filters. The thing about the Longacre that I don't like is that the cutter wheel rotates on a threaded surface of the bolt. Probably doesn't affect performance but I replaced the bolt with an Allen head cap screw with a longer grip so that wheel rotates on a solid surface. Also used a plastic washer under a lock nut for more precise adjustment of wheel.

Originally Posted By: jmb3675
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Just ordered this bad boy, I have 5 filters in waiting......
20.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Filter-Cutte...470&vxp=mtr

You will have to write a review. I almost bought that one, but I ended up getting the Longacre. I really like it.
I like it works just fine. I have cut 20+ filters with it and it works like the day I got it. I am glad the cheapy worked. Save some money and buy this one.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
And I'll say it again.... Pics please
click on the ebay link, I will try to remember to get pics of it fomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that same exact filter cutter and have been using for the past 7-8 years. It still works perfectly as it did from day one. I estimate that I have cut 40 or so filters with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back