Robot kills worker at VW Germany plant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait... did the robot become self-aware and attack its master? Is this the beginning of the end? I'm going to unplug my blender just in case.

This is how it all starts -- one robot at a VW factory. 100 years from now, the human race will be wiped out. The machines will be running the planet. I wonder if the machines will get along with each other or if they'll be killing each other off like the humans do.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This is how it all starts -- one robot at a VW factory. 100 years from now, the human race will be wiped out. The machines will be running the planet. I wonder if the machines will get along with each other or if they'll be killing each other off like the humans do.
+1

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
+1

I see you guys saw the new Terminator too.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Machines should be locked out and tagged out when being serviced, sounds like they need a more rigorous safety program. A sad way to die.

I doubt VW needs a more rigorous safety program, but what do I know? A company can preach safety all they want, but it only takes 1 person to have an accident. Sounds to me like the tech straight up forgot the lock out key. Safety isnt a thing that should be rushed.

Don't know why the article is worded so emotively. If said worker was crushed by an automated forklift, there wouldn't be a "Christine" implication on forklifts.

Lock out/tag out is industrially state of the norm forever, and prevents this sort of thing happening nearly every time.

I commissioned a fibreboard factory in the '90s, and there was a bloke there who was nearly killed by automated plant....but he'd bridged out and bypassed 2 completely independent personnel protective (plant trip) devices to get into harms way "to perform a simple adjustment".

Same place, I found a guy standing on the feed belt of the press (descendent of Sherriff Behan), whose sole lock-out was a "/" in a programmable logic controller.

Originally Posted By: Trav
On another note. Contrary to the golfers statement that mass shootings only happen in the USA and not anywhere else in the civilized world..

I note this only because I happened to be looking this up yesterday for another reason, but Americans don't even make the top 3 for mass shootings on a deaths per incident basis. You still have a lot of little ones, but to tag it as a US only problem is slightly misguided.

terminator genisys comes out this weekend. you can see robots kill humans for 2 hours! We can blame the Germans for starting skynet! and world war 3
smirk.gif

Last edited:
VW-1.jpg

Sarah O'Connor wrote about this. Life certainly is interesting...

Maybe Sarah should keep an eye on all the technology around her, ya never know.... Is her son named "John" ?

Last edited:
Honestly I don't know why this is "big news", these types of incidents do happen more than you'd think but usually are only mentioned on the local newscasts or local papers.

Like others have said the lock out system is a good one and should NEVER be circumvented. I think if you are ever caught NOT observing this procedure on the job you should be fired.

Originally Posted By: Benito
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/02/robot-kills-worker-at-volkswagen-plant-in-germany

Quote:
German news agency DPA reported that prosecutors were considering whether to bring charges, and if so, against whom.

This post and the link to the associated article see to be written by people who know little or absolutely nothing about how industrial robots work. However, I can see how the uneducated would be conjuring up visions of the Terminator movies...so nice click bait for the low information types

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back