VW transmission reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a VW, and it was fun, but this time around it will be a Corolla. My VW wasn't bad, I did not mind, but I have different goals now for my next car.

Originally Posted By: VR6
I've seen it too. I try and remember "perfect is boring."

Ah yes, the character.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
I had a VW, and it was fun, but this time around it will be a Corolla. My VW wasn't bad, I did not mind, but I have different goals now for my next car.

And that's what it's all about. I've never once ragged on somebody for buying a car that will take them to the moon and back several times over. That's precisely why I bought our Tacoma. Buying a vehicle is just like investing... Risk vs Comfort.

When my wallet and wife have had enough... I'll just live in the Passat!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
V.W is not known for reliability in general.

What a useless post...

Try being constructive next time.

BOT:

I never had the Rabbit long enough to care about the 6 speed auto but when the time came I was going to just do a drain & refill at 50k. It is a well known Asin 6 speed unit and unless abused I can't see many of them failing.

Well these posts have been more positive than I originally thought they would be. I just wanted to hear others experiences because this transmission doesn't feel all that solid in the way it behaves. If the car ends up staying around I'll probably have the fluid changed every 30K-50K.

Originally Posted By: VR6
Enthusiasts love to complain on forums and will typically make a much larger mountain out of a molehill than a CamCord driver.

Our local independent VW garage has a sign above the desk that stipulates they "only deal with facts and diagnosis, any mention of "the/a forum" will automatically incur a mandatory $100 donation to the RSPCA".

Diagnosis by committee. Love it.

Btw, the wife has a 2005 Golf Tdi with the 6 speed DSG. It has about 130,000km on it now and gets the snot beaten out of it regularly. So far the only big ticket item has been the EGR valve.

Useless post?... I have been in the engine business all my life and as far as reliability goes V.W. is in my professional opinion not known for reliability at all. Very trouble prone automobiles and very expensive to fix. As far as a useless post maybe someone reading this post and thinking of buying a V.W. will think twice.

My personal experience is that VWs are reliable, actually more reliable than some other brands, but many of the people that buy them beat the [censored] out of them, and do not do regular maintenance, or do IMPROPER maintenance (which many times is worse!) then they get on the interwebz and whine like a little piggy about how unreliable their VW is with 150k miles on it.

Interesting discussion considering VW uses ZF automatic transmissions in common with other German manufacturers . My Passat uses the same auto as 3 series BMWs of the same years so any comments should include all of the users ?

Originally Posted By: bruno
Interesting discussion considering VW uses ZF automatic transmissions in common with other German manufacturers . My Passat uses the same auto as 3 series BMWs of the same years so any comments should include all of the users ?

Are you saying they use a ZF in the Jetta? I doubt that would be the case...can anybody confirm who manufactures the regular 6 speed auto in the Jetta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back