Photos, oil catch can Hyundai i30. (oil in can)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share a temporary oil catch can that I set up this morning before a 300km trip. The 2015 Hyundai i30 2.0L has 1800km on it now from new. I decided to keep the bronze filter in place, not to filter the air but to allow the vortex element to remain in place and also separate the inlet from the outlet. So the filter didn't restrict any flow, I drilled four 5mm holes in it which is shrouded by the vortex element. this means there is no restriction and good separation between the inlet and outlet. I'm sure the element which swirls the flow also helps separate the oil too. Pretty effective I must say.

Take a look at what i collected on a 300km brisk run!

I know there is those for and those against catch cans, but hey, theres 1/2 a teaspoon of oil in that collector that's not going to be carbonised on my inlet valves. I saw a study in these forums recently that tested to see if PCV oil caused carbon (that was one of the tests, other were fuel/oil variations and power/load variations). The study concluded that PCV air doesn't, BUT it was only run for 100hrs and who knows what setup they used so I wasn't convinced by the study. I believe whole heartedly that any vaporised oil touching 300 degree C valve will carbonise to a certain degree. Ive collected SOME of that oil and thats a good thing
smile.gif

Nice install, looks oem! Can you give us a list of what items you used? What did this cost and how long did it take to install?

Thanks guys, it is very discreet which I like. I'll leave it in for now and monitor it carefully.

Things to be careful with are that new pipe routing doesn't go near any sensitive areas, i.e. throttle, transmission linkages or high temp spots.

Parts are as follows.

1) 500mm of 3/8ID fuel hose NZ$4
2) Med or large sized Compressor water separator with bronze element. NZ$30
3) Two male hose connectors to screw into separator body to suit 3/8 hose. (note that the PCV outlet ID is about 6mm so I chose a connector with 6.5mm to guarantee no reduction in flow) NZ$8
4) Two stainless steel hose clamps to suit OD of 3/8 tube (approx 20mm will do) NZ$3
5) Teflon tape to seal fitting when screwed into body. NZ$4

Total NZ$49 = US$33

Took 20-30 mins to install. Trickiest part is carefully drilling the four holes in the bronze filter.

I secured the arrangement by using black insulation tape, (seen in the third and last photo) and connected the return PCV pipe to the fresh air PCV pipe. Thats the pipe that comes from the back of the tappet cover to the air intake near the air box. The arrangement just hangs in place nicely.

Last edited:
Nice install.
I have a catch can on my 2013 2.4L Sonata. Every oil change at 6,000 kms, I collect 6 - 8 oz. of oily watery mixture. More collected in the winter.

Looks really neat.

Love my I30 and except for the steering rack bushings and brake switch recall, never gave me any headaches.

It would be fun as [censored] to be able to get 2.0 here.

Cheers guys, I was originally worried about the size of the unit thinking there wasn't enough room to condense the oil out of the air flow but it seems that it is very effective which I put to the element that swirls the air in a rotation as it enters the chamber and its baffle. I also think its important to separate the entry and exit points so the oil has a chance to condense prior to being sucked into the exit again. I be honest I'm surprised by the quantity of oil on a 300km trip. I'm very happy with the results.

Originally Posted By: omegaspeedy
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share a temporary oil catch can that I set up this morning before a 300km trip. The 2015 Hyundai i30 2.0L has 1800km on it now from new. I decided to keep the bronze filter in place, not to filter the air but to allow the vortex element to remain in place and also separate the inlet from the outlet. So the filter didn't restrict any flow, I drilled four 5mm holes in it which is shrouded by the vortex element. this means there is no restriction and good separation between the inlet and outlet. I'm sure the element which swirls the flow also helps separate the oil too. Pretty effective I must say.

Take a look at what i collected on a 300km brisk run!

I know there is those for and those against catch cans, but hey, theres 1/2 a teaspoon of oil in that collector that's not going to be carbonised on my inlet valves. I saw a study in these forums recently that tested to see if PCV oil caused carbon (that was one of the tests, other were fuel/oil variations and power/load variations). The study concluded that PCV air doesn't, BUT it was only run for 100hrs and who knows what setup they used so I wasn't convinced by the study. I believe whole heartedly that any vaporised oil touching 300 degree C valve will carbonise to a certain degree. Ive collected SOME of that oil and thats a good thing
smile.gif

Cool!

Do you have a part number and brand of the water separator you used?

Also, why would some people be opposed to using a catch can?...they're nothing but beneficial, aren't they?

Ed

Hi Ed_flecko

I don't have the number unfortunately as it's pretty much a no brander type but it appears to be good quality. They are designed much the same so any alloy body unit would be good. Mine has a plastic collector with max operating temp of 55 degrees. I'll keep an eye on that but it doesn't seem to get too hot.

Some dudes think they do nothing or are a waste of money but as you can see. any oil collected that doesn't see those inlet valves will be good.

I think its good for GDI and PTI as any carbon build up that can be minimised is a good thing. I've heard that oily air can lower octane slightly so collecting the oil from inlet air could be another benefit with power and economy.

I didn't understand the reason you drilled those holes. It should work OK as was constructed.
But, for the 300km trip to get that much oil, I would say is something wrong with your car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SoNic67
I didn't understand the reason you drilled those holes. It should work OK as was constructed.
But, for the 300km trip to get that much oil, I would say is something wrong with your car.

No 1/4 to half a tea spoon is consistent with what I've seen on other catch cans. Its just done its job and collected the oil VERY EFFECTIVELY which would have carbonised against hot bits. I'm expecting 100-200mls at 5000k service.

Its just fine. Remember its just oily air coming from the tappet cover....there nothing to become 'wrong' as its a straight vent.

Holes are drilled because the bronze filter would eventually become blocked which would restrict flow then become ineffective at evacuating the poison in the crank case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back