Mixing question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I'm a bit ocd. I'll explain later.

I know that you can mix away with different oils. But with my ocd I'd rather not mix weights or brand.

But here's my problem. My ram takes 7 quarts. I have a few jugs of valvoline synpower 0w20. I also have quite a bit of royal purple 0w20 that I got on sale.

From my understanding those two have a similar addpack. Would this be an optimal mix? 2 quarts rp to 5 quarts synpower without diluting the addpacks of each?

That keeps me from buying single quarts of synpower. Or breaking open my other jug to only leave 3 quarts in it. :shudder:

It's not hps royal purple. Just SN rated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Justin251
Or breaking open my other jug to only leave 3 quarts in it. :shudder:

And what's wrong with that?

I'd rather do that than mix anything, but that's just me.

I would open the other jug and leave the 3 quarts in it. With the cap on it, its not a problem, i do it all the time. Although you can mix without worry, i'd open the other jug, after all , its never going to work out where you don't have some oil left in the jug. Buying single quarts to supplement the jug negates savings. I can understand the obsession with opening the other jug but really its not a problem.

But but but. What was the previous fill? If youre truly ocd then theres about 1 quart of old oil in the system too. So you got to match yhat as well.
So if I were scraching my ocd itch id stick with the oldest first strategy. Run through all of whatever type of oil you have thats oldest then switch to the next.

Better than 2 loads of mix.

Then again this is all semantics because logically it shouldn't matter. So end of the day go with whatever your gut tells you to do and you can get a good nights rest with

Last edited:
You wouldn't believe what I put in an engine sometimes. I draw the line at used oil though.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: raytseng
But but but. What was the previous fill? If youre truly ocd then theres about 1 quart of old oil in the system too. So you got to match yhat as well.
So if I were scraching my ocd itch id stick with the oldest first strategy. Run through all of whatever type of oil you have thats oldest then switch to the next.

Better than 2 loads of mix.

Then again this is all semantics because logically it shouldn't matter. So end of the day go with whatever your gut tells you to do and you can get a good nights rest with

Thanks. Now I'm only going to run m1 ep 0w20 forever. lol

I'll most likely end up opening the other jug.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Or breaking open my other jug to only leave 3 quarts in it. :shudder:

And what's wrong with that?

I'd rather do that than mix anything, but that's just me.

It's 3 quarts that have seen oxygen.

That's got to be bad. Right? :p

Look, I'll buy an extra dollar or two of gasoline to make my transaction an even number.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are the only one who can answer this.

FYI this week I put 4 different kinds of left over oil in one of my cars during an oil change. It'll be in there for at least a year. I'm not worried.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C

So nitrogen or argon purge the container before you put the lid back on.

I was kidding.

That's got to be bad. Right? :p

There was oxygen in the bottle before you opened it, so what if there is after. Its not vacuum packed. Oil won't oxidize that fast in a closed jug.

Look, I'll buy an extra dollar or two of gasoline to make my transaction an even number.

There are pills for that lol ( just kidding).
Start ending your fuel bills in odd numbers liek $30.07 or $30.33 to retrain your brain from compulsiveness.

The other day I bought gas and it came to 49.99 and 20 gallons. Ugghh

That's about as bad as I get though. I don't spend hours counting my socks or m&ms.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brad_C

So nitrogen or argon purge the container before you put the lid back on.

I was kidding.

So was he....

Originally Posted By: bvance554

I was kidding.

So was he....

I was only half kidding. When someone starts a post they are OCD I assume they actually suffer from OCD and are not just using it as a trendy term for fussy or particular. I should know better, it's a term that gets thrown around loosely here and actually means nothing (somewhat like amateurarmchair tribologist) in the context of this forum.

I don't argon purge my open oil containers but I do use it for some epoxies and elastomers that are oxygen and/or moisture sensitive and it's good for half open bottles of red wine. It would not be much of a stretch to use it on an oil container if you were that concerned. You do keep cylinders of Argon and Nitrogen in the garage, don't you?

It does mean nothing really. The things I mentioned just bother me. Nothing I'll lose sleep over. I was just explaining why I asking the question. I'm not gonna ignore reason over a slight inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back