How our careers shape us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've thought about this topic off and on, especially when I meet someone who behaves in a very distinctive way.

The first time I really noticed this was when I was 16ish and hanging out with a few friends. All in all we were pretty responsible at that age. One or two of us could be a danger to ourselves, but not really to anyone else.

One of the friends had an older sister who had recently become a teacher to younger kids. She wasn't happy about something we were doing. But instead of relating to us as young adults just a little less mature than herself, she spoke at us, telling us why what we had done was wrong and what instructions of hers we were to follow.

It was pretty condescending and in fact she was mistaken in what she thought had happened. But any attempt at discussing the issue with her in a reasonable way would not work and was met with her escalating her voice and comments. She clearly felt the need to establish authority over us.

I sensed what was going on and reminded her that we were not her kids at school and she was not our teacher. She didn't like that one bit, but it had enough of an effect to stop things escalating.

Since then, I've seen this many times. Some times though it really sticks out. A person's thought processes have become limited to those they used in their job. And if the job was repetitive and simple, their brain and thinking follow but with a detectable nuance that is the uniqueness associated with their job.

What about you? Have you seen this as well?

It could be many things, cultural, positional, etc.

We had a new Japanese Vice President, that while was walking, just stopped, and said, "I can't see other side of plant, I want to see other side of plant from here!"

Within a month 50 lines and over 90 machines and air piping were relocated so he can "see" the other side of plant.

On the flipside,

there's only about a bazillion self-help/ business books so people can be flexible and LEARN how to negotiate, influence others, make friends and basically deal with other humans in various different situations and not just be 1-dimensional.

So it's not ingrained that this is a lost cause or only one path.
It can be something learned or improved upon.

In the same as some people know a 2nd language either from birth or learn it later, so it is with these social skills.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

We had a new Japanese Vice President, that while was walking, just stopped, and said, "I can't see other side of plant, I want to see other side of plant from here!"

Within a month 50 lines and over 90 machines and air piping were relocated so he can "see" the other side of plant.

Very interesting story, but don't know if it's the same topic as the question in my thread.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
On the flipside,

there's only about a bazillion self-help/ business books so people can be flexible and LEARN how to negotiate, influence others, make friends and basically deal with other humans in various different situations and not just be 1-dimensional.

So it's not ingrained that this is a lost cause or only one path.
It can be something learned or improved upon.

In the same as some people know a 2nd language either from birth or learn it later, so it is with these social skills.

The mind is another muscle. It will form depending on how you exercise it.

So if you push it to think differently, you gain the ability to think differently. If you limit it to doing the same thing day in day out for over 30 years, then you will strengthen certain pathways at the expense of others.

I have no real career so I haven't allowed anything to shape me.

However, I think that you CAN absolutely become your job in several ways. Possibly even more so in the rhythm of your life also...an example would be the people who can't handle retirement and die in relatively short order. My grandfather was a cop for 30 years and my dad was a procurement manager for a construction company for many years...you could pick individual traits from each job that they exhibited in a direct but milder way in their everyday existence outside of work...that I'm sure they didn't have when they started.

I think existentially it's matter of needing to become what we do. We need to take on identities in our professions and these identities structure behavior that caries over into other spheres of activity beyond "what we do" professionally.

Good discussion guys as well as "big sister syndrome"!

The flip side is that we all exhibit something we are good at when we are growing up, and then gravitate towards that when choosing a career.

So in a way, our careers reinforce the "natural" pathways in our brain.

Sci-fi explores the concept now and again. Recently the most notable example is the movie "Divergent". And of course who could forget the related topic of nature vs nurture in "Trading Places"!

Originally Posted By: Benito
One of the friends had an older sister who had recently become a teacher to younger kids. She wasn't happy about something we were doing. But instead of relating to us as young adults just a little less mature than herself, she spoke at us, telling us why what we had done was wrong and what instructions of hers we were to follow.

Sounds to me like this chick is just a control freak,or just plain *angry*. I find that people who are perpetually condescending towards others always have a chip on their shoulder about something.

She was that too. But I think it was because she had become a teacher that she felt she could act with authority over *anyone* younger than her.

Of course, when she failed, she had to literally run to mommy to complain.

How my career changed me?

One bitog member asked me in a pm when I
took a management gig after 39 years on
the chain gang;
"I guess there is no love lost between you and the Teamsters eh?"

So I started the topic "Right to Work Legislation", then got
back to him;

"Does that answer your question?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember working with a retired Engineer on some simple house renos.

He was insistant on working everything out on paper first, even though we were pushed for time.

My braking point came when I wanted to get 2 gallons of paint for a room.
Half an hour of him measuring the room, deducting doors and windows, and studying the coverage instructions on the can, he announced "We need 7.3 litres" I told him to "go and f-ing buy 7.3 litres then"

He did not see it, he could just not bring himself to guesstimate.

Engineers are very precise in their calculations for everything.

27 years at the same company, luckily met and worked with many good folks. Different career fields will change your outlook of people.

Originally Posted By: expat
I remember working with a retired Engineer on some simple house renos.

He was insistant on working everything out on paper first, even though we were pushed for time.

My braking point came when I wanted to get 2 gallons of paint for a room.
Half an hour of him measuring the room, deducting doors and windows, and studying the coverage instructions on the can, he announced "We need 7.3 litres" I told him to "go and f-ing buy 7.3 litres then"

He did not see it, he could just not bring himself to guesstimate.

As a non-retired engineer I generally estimate nothing. I will use generous rounding though to try and ballpark something, and if it is something I've done several times then maybe I can quickly get an answer.

I find that if I stick to things I know I generally do ok. Something I have never done before I invariably screw up. I'll do better the second time, but the first is always a fiasco.

I'm not sure how my career has shaped me. Paid the bills for sure. Gained some experience in my field. Not sure I feel anything but older now.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Very interesting story, but don't know if it's the same topic as the question in my thread.

I don't clearly understand your question. After you work in a field a while, you become a skilled expert of said field. You know your field, and can correct and train others based on your past experiences. If you love your profession, then you will no doubt share that knowledge with others and apply said knowledge to your own life.

There is nothing wrong with this, it is broadly Groupthink.

Last edited:
Careers definitely shape people. Talk to someone that has worked a entry level job their entire life vs. someone who has a degree, certification, trade etc.

Does the career shape the person, or is the person drawn to the career because of their personality?

Originally Posted By: whip
Does the career shape the person, or is the person drawn to the career because of their personality?

whip, that's a good point...can search BITOG on "INTJ" and [censored] convention ... I've moved to INTP since then.

But you are correct, and the OP is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back