Old Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas for best dry senior cat food? 13 year old Maine Coon(long hair). She's an indoor cat but want to stick to a low fiber food. Since those don't seem to agree with her.

Just been switching brands trying to what is the best bang for the buck. She seemed to lose weight when on Purina One Indoor. Most of the indoor cat foods have 6% fiber while Iams Senior Food has 3% fiber. So thinking I'll try that next. A year ago tried some different canned foods for her but those became a pain when she would only eat a little bit at a time then had to the rest in the fridge.

Looking at this:

http://www.petco.com/product/118452/Iams-ProActive-Health-Senior-Plus-Cat-Food.aspx

There's even a food for Maine Coon's but kind of pricey and not for senior cats. Was going to try "Taste of the Wild" but again looking for senior food.

while mine's not a senior by any stretch of the imagination (5ish?) we went through several var of taste of the wild, and a couple Blue buffalo, but invariably within 6mo to a year, she would stop eating it, or throw it up regularly. recently switched to the new Purina beyond. she loves it. no vomiting.

my sisters (2-3yr old)Tabby (from a litter of barn cats, so who knows what all she is) had been on blue her whole life, and had always been really aggressive towards my niece(while being a rag-doll for my nephew)

the switched her over to the beyond, and the aggression is 90% gone. (still has her moments)

they mixed the remaining blue in with the barn cat's Food, and they started attacking each other...

I thought this was going to be about Catalytics or Caterpillar earth moving equipment.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
I thought this was going to be about Catalytics or Caterpillar earth moving equipment.

Or clogged catalytic converters.

Yes, there's that special niche food from Royal Canin: one kind for Maine Coons, one kind for Persians, etc. Awfully expensive stuff. My Siberian (a cat) doesn't have a specialty food for his breed, so he gets Iams hairball care. His adopted brother the big black longhair will eat that, and anything else, it seems.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Yes, there's that special niche food from Royal Canin: one kind for Maine Coons, one kind for Persians, etc. Awfully expensive stuff. My Siberian (a cat) doesn't have a specialty food for his breed, so he gets Iams hairball care. His adopted brother the big black longhair will eat that, and anything else, it seems.

Thanks guys.

The Royal Canin is about $5/lb and the first ingredient isn't even meat. While you can get Taste of the Wild for $2/lb where the first ingredient is chicken/salmon. That's a lot more food.

Our 3yo cat gets taste of the wild, mostly green bag, tan bag occasionally. We get the big bag from amazon or a local pet shop. The cat eats it and seems to have no problems.

I have three dogs and three cats and I feed them all Merrick brand food. One of the dogs has food allergies and after reading many positive reviews I tried Merrick and the skin and hair problems cleared up. The other animals also liked the food so that is all I feed now. Check out the reviews online.

Nature's Variety Instinct, Merrick, Halo. All dry food contains a binder.

I have a 16 yr old and two 2.4 year old Coons and they ges this dry mixed in canned Instinct (canned helps them stay hydrated).

You can also try incorporating raw into his diet (Stellas or Nature's Variety for example).

Last edited:
Have you considered Hill's Science Diet? I am personally not a fan of it because corn is the first ingredient as I prefer to see meat, but this stuff really helped our old Siamese when she was alive. They have a senior cat variation as well as hairball control if you need it. Maybe you could do a blend?
laugh.gif

Not sure if they have this for cats or not, but for dogs at least they have something that is a bit easier on the stomachs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back