2015 Ford Fusion 1st oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd use the PP 5w30 in both cars. Single inventory!

5k interval unless proven otherwise with UOA data or when 1000's of these Eco-failures engines make it to 100k+ with no issues.

I am also pleased with the oil that I use. PP and PUP are excellent choices.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

Filter wise, there have been some tear issues with the Purolator made Motorcraft filters. I'd use a Wix/Napa Gold filters over Motorcraft OR look at the Fram Ultra and use them for 2 or 3 OCI's.

Care to comment on the tears in Motorcraft filters. Paper, casing, or other kind of tears?

Unrelated question, what are the differences, if any, from this 1.5L eco and the 1.6L in the escape?

I ask because my wife has the 1.6L in her escape. It also calls for
5w-20, but her super short trips leave the oil smelling like fuel, so I've never let the OLM go off, I have always changed early.

Originally Posted By: Joseph_S37
Unrelated question, what are the differences, if any, from this 1.5L eco and the 1.6L in the escape?

5w-20, but her super short trips leave the oil smelling like fuel, so I've never let the OLM go off, I have always changed early.

This is what I found from a quick search on Wikipedia:

A 1.5L version of the EcoBoost engine family was first unveiled in the 2014 Ford Fusion as a downsized version of the 1.6L EcoBoost engine.[17] The downsized displacement is a result of Chinese vehicle tax regulations which tax vehicles with engine displacements of 1.5L or less at lower rates. The 1.5L EcoBoost adds new technology compared to the 1.6L on which it is based, including an integrated exhaust manifold and a computer-controlled water pump clutch to decrease warm up time. In the 2014 Fusion, the engine produces 181 hp (135 kW; 184 PS)and 185-lb ft .

Originally Posted By: clarkmc3
Originally Posted By: Joseph_S37

This is what I found from a quick search on Wikipedia:

A 1.5L version of the EcoBoost engine family was first unveiled in the 2014 Ford Fusion as a downsized version of the 1.6L EcoBoost engine.[17] The downsized displacement is a result of Chinese vehicle tax regulations which tax vehicles with engine displacements of 1.5L or less at lower rates. The 1.5L EcoBoost adds new technology compared to the 1.6L on which it is based, including an integrated exhaust manifold and a computer-controlled water pump clutch to decrease warm up time. In the 2014 Fusion, the engine produces 181 hp (135 kW; 184 PS)and 185-lb ft .

The two engines are unrelated, so the 1.5 is not just a downsized 1.6. The 1.6 is made in Wales, the 1.5 in Poland and Romania. The 1.5 is a more "modern" engine so it's not clear to me why Ford continues making the 1.6 unless it's simply a plant capacity issue. It doesn't seem to make sense otherwise for Ford to support 2 different engines of essentially the same size, output and application. As pointed out, in the U.S. The 1.5 is used only in the Fusion, the 1.6 only in the Escape.

Originally Posted By: TNpowerstroke
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

Filter wise, there have been some tear issues with the Purolator made Motorcraft filters. I'd use a Wix/Napa Gold filters over Motorcraft OR look at the Fram Ultra and use them for 2 or 3 OCI's.

Care to comment on the tears in Motorcraft filters. Paper, casing, or other kind of tears?

Feel free to use the search function and you will find a few threads that include pictures. 99%+ of filters that are used don't get cut open so that fact that there are at least a few reported cases on BITOG alone means it should at least be a concern. Knowing that there are many Purolator reports of torn media and knowing that Purolator makes the Motorcraft filters, that is enough for me to pick something else. For a standard OCI filter the WIX is a great product that costs similar to the Motorcraft and has a excellent record of being tear free. The Fram Ultra is a great extended OCI filter which also has a great reputation (this is not the OCOD). Plus since the OP is looking at 5k OCI's he could easily go three oil changes on the filter which brings its cost down to at or below any other quality filter per mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back