Amsoil SS 5W-30, 5000kms, '14 Subaru STI (EJ257)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Looking to get some input on the latest UOA from Blackstone. Their comments have made me go into a bit of a panic mode even though I know there is not much I can do at this point.

I've been running Amsoil since my first change at 6000kms. The first analysis was over winter. Mild driving with a few hard days. The last analysis saw 2 days of hot lapping and 4 autocross events. Am I right to panic or is it such a small number that i might be negligible?

Car is completely stock. I will convert this to code when I get a chance but here is the report.

iVc3zAa.jpg

I cat see the report as some images are blocked by our Co.'s Barracuda filter.

High Iron and Cu? Is it under 100PPM? Don't worry. Engin erun and sound ok?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I cat see the report as some images are blocked by our Co.'s Barracuda filter.

High Iron and Cu? Is it under 100PPM? Don't worry. Engin erun and sound ok?

Sorry, totally forgot that it might get blocked by networks. Engine runs and sounds great. I just installed an IAG Air Oil Separator to try and keep the oil out of the intercooler. I found a slight film on the pipe between turbo and intercooler. No oil consumption at all.

Here is the code for it.

Code:

OIL AMSOIL 5w30 AMSOIL 5w30

MILES IN USE 5000 kms 7500 kms

MILES 25,000 kms 19,500 kms

SAMPLE TAKEN 6/26/15 3/29/15

ALUMINUM 6 6

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 17 22

COPPER 22 43

LEAD 0 1

TIN 4 0

MOLYBDENUM 153 172

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 1

SILVER 3 2

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 6 3

BORON 152 127

SILICON 16 22

SODIUM 5 4

CALCIUM 3479 3405

MAGNESIUM 16 14

PHOSPHORUS 718 686

ZINC 815 789

BARIUM 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2 0.2

WATER 0 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 420 370

SUS VIS 210ºF 58.2 56.8

cSt @ 100ºC 9.71 9.31

Comment from Blackstone: "It doesn't take much silver and copper to show a bearing problem, and your level has us concerned. You mentioned this engine saw some time at the track, so that could explain a lot of this excess metal, though you'll want to be on the look out for any signs of engine distress (knocking, low oil pressure light, etc.). That is at least until wear improves for you. This engine should be well past break-in now at 25,000kms, so there really isn't any good reason for this excess wear. Try 3,000 kms on the next oil if you'll race more. 5,000 kms should be okay if not."

Last edited:
ImO, AMSOIL is not the best choice for high performance cars, especially 5w30 and especially for STI. It is oriented on long OCIs. You need something more robust from protection point of view. I would give a try to Redline 5w30 or 5w40 or Motul 300. May be Royal Purple HPS series is not too bad. But AMSOIL would be my last choice same as Mobil1, which is good for flush purposes only.
Udachi!

No need to switch brands. If you want to use 5W-30, use Amsoil HDD 5W-30, or better use the full SAPS Amsoil 0W-40 or 5W-40. That's what I use in my 2014 WRX.

It wouldn't hurt to go up to some kind of XW-40 especially pushing the engine hard.

Originally Posted By: timeau
ImO, AMSOIL is not the best choice for high performance cars, especially 5w30 and especially for STI. It is oriented on long OCIs. You need something more robust from protection point of view. I would give a try to Redline 5w30 or 5w40 or Motul 300. May be Royal Purple HPS series is not too bad. But AMSOIL would be my last choice same as Mobil1, which is good for flush purposes only.
Udachi!

I don't know where you get that. What?????
Completely disagree. Amsoil and M1 have plenty of anti wear additives for protection, and all or part PAO. I don't think you can always blame high copper/iron/etc. on the oil. The tolerances, maybe particle contamination, etc. has a lot to do with what's going on.

Granted I have seen tech papers saying the calcium overbased detergents do antagonize wear a bit, and Amsoil is certainly slightly higher in detergent than most synthetic I've seen. OK, maybe you could make a case there. Amsoil is careful not to put in too much calcium though.

Last edited:
Best results from all points of view (consumption, protection/UOA, mpg, fuel resistance) for me and my turbo Subie (EJ-255 in my Baja) came from RLI's 5W40HD. Accordingly, that's what I recommend to you. :)

If you're concerned about the silver, contact Terry Dyson. Silver _can_ be a fairly specific issue in a turbo Subie.

As an aside, and while they are right about as often as coincidence and/or luck allow, Blackstone Labs' comments are useful solely for amusement.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
No need to switch brands. If you want to use 5W-30, use Amsoil HDD 5W-30, or better use the full SAPS Amsoil 0W-40 or 5W-40. That's what I use in my 2014 WRX.

I agree with Pablo. Stick with his recommendations you'll get plenty of protection.
thumbsup2.gif

Hmm I find it weird that some of the comments are saying Amsoil isn't the best for protection. I actually chose Amsoil specifically because I've heard nothing but good things about it. From my report it seems that it has only sheered 7% in 5000 kms with two long days of tracking. Maybe I'm just not familiar with what a "good oil" is.

The car is primarily a daily driver and does not see high loads except for an autocross event once or twice a month. The HPDE tracking days were an exception during the last oil change.

I'm going to wait until my next UOA and see how the wear is at that point and then decide whether I want to go up to a 0W-40 weight. Hopefully the copper and silver content was just an oddity due to the HPDE weekend.

There have been quite a few bearing failures on late model STI's and WRX's. In some cases there were bearing failures on uoa's with silver as low as 6 ppm's which is why Blackstone is flagging this .

I also agree with Pablo on the oil recommendation. Run an oil with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher, especially if you hit the track. Amsoil has many better choices, IMO.

Last edited:
Another +1 to Pablo's recommendations. If you are hitting the track with this vehicle at all get an appropriate oil for protection under the more demanding conditions.

If you go with a 40, stick to the 0w-40 or 5w-40 year round. There's no point in switching. Also, with Amsoil, generally speaking, they do tend to have some of the best cold weather numbers out there.

Originally Posted By: timeau
Udachi!

Back in 09 terry dyson told me to stop using mobile1 in my wrx do to it was not adequate to handle fuel dilution.
He recommended redline, which seemed un effected by fuel dilution I also had success with GC, rotella, and val.racing. Never tried amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Nurp
Okay sounds good.

Would you recommend using 0W-40/5W-40 during the summer while tracking and then switching back to 5W-30 during winter months or would 0W-40 be fine to run year round. We get cold temps down to -35*C here in Winnipeg.

EDIT: This stuff is okay? http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=AZFQT-EA

Amsoil 0w-40 is among the best there is. Also, I'd use M1 0w-30 or Amsoil 0w-30 in the tough cold winters there.

Originally Posted By: Nurp
Okay sounds good.

Would you recommend using 0W-40/5W-40 during the summer while tracking and then switching back to 5W-30 during winter months or would 0W-40 be fine to run year round. We get cold temps down to -35*C here in Winnipeg.

EDIT: This stuff is okay? http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=AZFQT-EA

No, have Pablo link you perhaps. So, what you want is the European 0w-40 or 5w-40 (Full SAPS).

I'd just go with the 0w-40 and be done with it up in Canada.

EFO is the product code for the 0w-40 Euro version.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
No, have Pablo link you perhaps. So, what you want is the European 0w-40 or 5w-40 (Full SAPS).

I'd just go with the 0w-40 and be done with it up in Canada.

EFO is the product code for the 0w-40 Euro version.

Why would he want to use the full SAPS Euro version as opposed to the new Signature Series 0W-40? To save money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back