Long storage on engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a honda 610 twin 18 HP.TWIN hooked to a 10 KW gen ....Propane...10 years oid with PENSOIL 30wt...Total run time 30 minutes.....After 10 years I went to ZROD amsoil 10 W30 with new honda filter...It say 1.5 QTs with filter I have done that but not started it yet...Want to run it every 6 months and change oil ever 3 years...I want to pull plugs and put in the 10W30 maybe and let it sit with filter empty.... How many CCs?...Good Idea to leave the Filter empty?...will the oil protect anything in the filter.....? Appreciate all input and questions....

Your post is not entirely clear. If the engine has not been run in 10 years, the generator may not put out any electricity. Load test it. It may need to be re-excited.

I see no benefit to leaving the filter empty.

You do not need to pull the plugs and add oil to prevent rust in the cylinder for 6 months. If you decide to I would use fogging oil as it will stick to the cylinder walls rather than pooling as the lowest point.

Are you relying on this for backup generation, or just storing it? If you are relying on it, you should be running it weekly, or at least monthly.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Are you relying on this for backup generation, or just storing it? If you are relying on it, you should be running it weekly, or at least monthly.

^ this

When I ran remote work camps, the main backup generator got started every 4 days and ran 30 minutes.

Last edited:
If you protect the intake and exhaust from dust and moisture the engine does not need to be run often. I would run it annually myself if you are sure that bugs, dust and other detritus doesn't get into the works.

Do not spin on a new oil filter and leave it empty. That's asking for rust on the unplated steel parts.

As was mentioned you need to test the generator part, not just the engine. Start the machine with the output breaker open. Run it for a minute or so and then put it under load. Space heaters are great loads. You'll need 5 1500W heaters to get a good load. Run it for at least 30 minutes so that everything gets good and hot. Check the output voltage and frequency if you can. Shut it down and if it's due an oil change do it now while it's hot. Refill it, restart it, shut it down and check the oil level before putting it in storage. Do not put the generator away in a condition that it can't be put immediately into service.

It took 2 minutes for the voltage to come up....The gen manufature said run every 6 months...Carried 4 1500 watt heater just fine...Will run to fill the filter and then seafoam it....Thanks to all

If it took 2 minutes for the voltage to come up the residual magnetism in the rotor was weak. It's probably a good thing you ran it.

Seafoam is for cleaning. For storage you want a fogging oil, 2-stroke oil or even crankcase oil. Assuming you are lubing the cylinders.

Yes lubing the clys is the goal...I thought seafoam was great......(Marine people) Tell me better....Charlie

Thanks.....Tried to find it at Orilies today and they had none....Auto zone tomorrow and then maybe Amazon....

Originally Posted By: ceast
Thanks.....Tried to find it at Orilies today and they had none....Auto zone tomorrow and then maybe Amazon....

Try an Outdoor Power Equipment shop (chainsaws and mowers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back