Subaru FB oil burning update; new threshold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't recall if anyone has submitted proof of this yet, but Subaru is now replacing the short block in FB motors where consumption is greater than one-third quart in 1,200 miles. That's one quart in 3,600 miles. I'm within that; mine burns a quart between 3,000 and 3,500 (using 0w-20) depending on my driving at the time; 75 mph cruising burns oil at a higher rate than my normal 60 mph commute on back country roads.

I'll be making an appointment for the oil consumption test before the summer is out.

Here is a direct link to the current TSB.

16qutf.jpg

Subarus engines blow up. blow head gaskets ,leak like sieves,Burn oil,etc , but they are great cars.

I had an '06 Fozzie that used 2/3 qt every 3k. Only car I ever owned that had to be topped off. And yet it was one of my favorite vehicles.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Subarus engines blow up. blow head gaskets ,leak like sieves,Burn oil,etc , but they are great cars.

I have a wagon with decent ground clearance, AWD, and a manual transmission. There aren't many options. Oil burning aside, I've been pleased with the car. It's gotten me through some exceedingly nasty weather. I put General Grabber tires on it, and even deep snow isn't a problem. Plus, it's fun to pass Escalades that are struggling to get up hills.

My two Toyotas, Dodge, and Volvo from years past all had some issue. I'd take this car over the disastrous 2001 Dodge Dakota any day.

If I could order a new Levorg or Forester XT with a manual transmission, I'd buy another Subaru today.

Yes, My co-worker had to take Subie to small claims court last year to get his engine in his crosteck repalced.

You would think in this day and age a OEM could get the ring package and machining correct so there would be no oil consumption, poor engineering and quality.

They're busy dealing with Ford attacking them with the Focus RS AWD, constantly improving their AWD, and advertising.

$23K for a new AWD car,yet no one else can offer one for the price....tells me something has to give....cost cutting...

Originally Posted By: VNTS

Yes, My co-worker had to take Subie to small claims court last year to get his engine in his crosteck repalced.

You would think in this day and age a OEM could get the ring package and machining correct so there would be no oil consumption, poor engineering and quality.
Same problems with certain Honda accords too. Ask my co-workers. And my wife's meticulously maintained 2azfe Toyota-engined Rav4 gave up the ghost at only 57K miles - the reason I joined this forum.

Agreed but:

So THERE!

Last edited:
Better than many other manufacturers who wouldn't admit to any problem. Good to see Subaru step up and take decisive action.

There was a guy on here about a month ago that mentioned he spent around $8k to have the engine in his Subaru replaced. I forgot his username and not sure if he could get reimbursed for the expense from corporate. Just bypass the dealer.

edit: now that I think about it I believe it was a year or two beyond the warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
Better than many other manufacturers who wouldn't admit to any problem. Good to see Subaru step up and take decisive action.

+1

I remember when we had a 2004 Nissan Quest. There were several issues with it and Nissan stepped up to the plate, came up with fixes, contacted the owners, got the issues resolved, and extended the warranty. It made for a good experience.

thats a shame, hopefully subaru can go back to basic engine building school and figure it out next time.

Mine seems to be behaving on 5w20 better than 0w20. Mine falls w/in the 1qt/3500mi for sure, but I'm not interested in a consumption test and/or short block over it.

Definitely good to see them owning up to it. I loved my 08' forester. Had to move on unfortunately...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back