Full face helmet headsets

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys im wanting to purchase a headset system to be able to communicate with friends while riding. I wear a full faced helmet. Do any of you have any recommendations as to which ones are comfortable with full faced helmets and also have decent sound quality?

Last edited:
I use Sena smh10 Bluetooth and couldn't be happier. I can take phone calls and intercom with wifey (up to 4 at one time) and even some GPS units work with it. But for me a great feature is that the mount bracket and speakers/mic are ~25$ so i have multiple helmets i can just snap the controller into. We go from street bikes to dirt quads and range is maybe 1/4 mile or less if its hilly. I think the new 20s has 1.2 mile range, up to 8 intercoms at once and works with gps and GoPro for voice over. thats my next one.

Have to agree. I have the Sena SMH10R and its everything I could ask for. Connect it to your smartphone, you can get directions, calls, and music. One of the best investments I have made. It especially helps with the longer rides on the highway. Again highly recommended.
Last season I put my helmet away and when it was time to get it out again I was extremely surprised that it still had a charge!!

I use the Uclear HBC 100 plus. You can pair up to 4 riders with full duplex communication, up to a 1 mile range using multi hop technology. It works with my phone and GPS. The speakers have good volume, although they lack bass. One really good feature of it, is the boomless mic system. It makes installation much simpler, and the noise canceling qualities are very good. Most people can't believe I'm riding, they tell me I'm coming through very clearly(even at highway speeds)

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
guys im wanting to purchase a headset system to be able to communicate with friends while riding. I wear a full faced helmet. Do any of you have any recommendations as to which ones are comfortable with full faced helmets and also have decent sound quality?

Sena. I looked at the SMH10, but wound up getting the SMH5-FM. Love it.

Important note: if you wear a modular helmet, you want the full-face version.

I have an SMH10 that I bought about a month ago, for a long (both time and miles) trip. My folks got a pair of SMH-10Rs a few days before that. I like the 10 better than the 10R because of:
--The large and easily-manipulated dial control,
--The fact that it's a quick-detach unit,
--The fact that it's all one piece (the 10R uses 2 separate pieces; the control module and the battery pack).

The fact that the 10R is very low profile is certainly nice, but I do not notice the wind drag of my 10 at all, so that seems more a theoretical or storage-related nicety.

My folks rode along with me for the first day and a half of my loooong trip. We were able to talk with one another over the intercom up to 100-200 yards on flat and open ground, with minimal to moderate traffic. Sena's claim of 980 yards (or so?) is utterly ridiculous, IME.

My machine works extremely well with an iPhone 5s, and distinctly less well with an android type phone. I use both, or try to use them, as Pandora music streamers, GPS/direction-givers, telephones, Voxer walkie-talkies, and dictation machines, all from within my Arai full-face helmet. The speakers are loud enough for me with my -33dB ear plugs. My dad, who is completely deaf in one ear from a surgery decades ago, cannot really hear anything above 40 to perhaps 50 mph. He can hear, but does not understand intercom communications. Mom and I were talking back and forth successfully up to 70+ mph. My wife has lost over 2/3 of her hearing in both ears, and does not really want one of these machines because she does not believe she will be able to hear properly. I believe she is probably correct.

Siri understands what I'm telling or asking her quite well most all the time, though there can be some interference depending upon the windshield and turbulence you have on your bike. Today I was riding with my windscreen completely off the bike (Honda NC700X with the tall Touring screen, mostly), and Siri transcribed what I was saying perfectly at 75 mph. I did not try a telephone call today. Previously, I have successfully used the telephone at up to approximately that speed, but have needed to duck behind the windscreen in order for the caller to hear me well. Below about 50-60 mph, most of the people who call me are unaware that I'm on my motorcycle. The noise reduction works extremely well with that iPhone.

HOWEVER, Google maps essentially blanks when I try to dictate to it (such as to enter a destination). I have the same issue with basically all voice functions when using the android-based phone (a OnePlus One, which strictly-speaking is a modified Cyanogenmod OS). This causes me to believe that the noise-cancelling is somehow defeated by, or does not work correctly with, Google apps and OSes. I have no idea or info as to how that might be, it is simply my observation.

So, I do recommend the Sena SMH-10. The 10R also seems to be a good unit, if you're looking for low profile and can work the buttons as well as the large and handy knob of the 10. The battery on my 10 also lasts longer than the batteries on my folks' 10Rs. I can run a _long_ day on a single charge. They can run perhaps 6-8 hours, depending upon how much talking they're doing.

I like the combo units like my folks and I bought, which have both a boom mic (for modular or open-face helmets) and also a loose-wire type mic intended for full-face helmets. The alternative are units with only either a boom or loose-wire mic. The combo units are only ~$10 more, IIRC.

I've been using mine every weekend, and many weekdays, over the past month and 2-3,000 miles. I'm happy with it.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
I have an SMH10 that I bought about a month ago, for a long (both time and miles) trip. My folks got a pair of SMH-10Rs a few days before that. I like the 10 better than the 10R because of:
--The large and easily-manipulated dial control,
--The fact that it's a quick-detach unit,
--The fact that it's all one piece (the 10R uses 2 separate pieces; the control module and the battery pack).

The fact that the 10R is very low profile is certainly nice, but I do not notice the wind drag of my 10 at all, so that seems more a theoretical or storage-related nicety.

My folks rode along with me for the first day and a half of my loooong trip. We were able to talk with one another over the intercom up to 100-200 yards on flat and open ground, with minimal to moderate traffic. Sena's claim of 980 yards (or so?) is utterly ridiculous, IME.

My machine works extremely well with an iPhone 5s, and distinctly less well with an android type phone. I use both, or try to use them, as Pandora music streamers, GPS/direction-givers, telephones, Voxer walkie-talkies, and dictation machines, all from within my Arai full-face helmet. The speakers are loud enough for me with my -33dB ear plugs. My dad, who is completely deaf in one ear from a surgery decades ago, cannot really hear anything above 40 to perhaps 50 mph. He can hear, but does not understand intercom communications. Mom and I were talking back and forth successfully up to 70+ mph. My wife has lost over 2/3 of her hearing in both ears, and does not really want one of these machines because she does not believe she will be able to hear properly. I believe she is probably correct.

Siri understands what I'm telling or asking her quite well most all the time, though there can be some interference depending upon the windshield and turbulence you have on your bike. Today I was riding with my windscreen completely off the bike (Honda NC700X with the tall Touring screen, mostly), and Siri transcribed what I was saying perfectly at 75 mph. I did not try a telephone call today. Previously, I have successfully used the telephone at up to approximately that speed, but have needed to duck behind the windscreen in order for the caller to hear me well. Below about 50-60 mph, most of the people who call me are unaware that I'm on my motorcycle. The noise reduction works extremely well with that iPhone.

HOWEVER, Google maps essentially blanks when I try to dictate to it (such as to enter a destination). I have the same issue with basically all voice functions when using the android-based phone (a OnePlus One, which strictly-speaking is a modified Cyanogenmod OS). This causes me to believe that the noise-cancelling is somehow defeated by, or does not work correctly with, Google apps and OSes. I have no idea or info as to how that might be, it is simply my observation.

So, I do recommend the Sena SMH-10. The 10R also seems to be a good unit, if you're looking for low profile and can work the buttons as well as the large and handy knob of the 10. The battery on my 10 also lasts longer than the batteries on my folks' 10Rs. I can run a _long_ day on a single charge. They can run perhaps 6-8 hours, depending upon how much talking they're doing.

I like the combo units like my folks and I bought, which have both a boom mic (for modular or open-face helmets) and also a loose-wire type mic intended for full-face helmets. The alternative are units with only either a boom or loose-wire mic. The combo units are only ~$10 more, IIRC.

I've been using mine every weekend, and many weekdays, over the past month and 2-3,000 miles. I'm happy with it.

Great information, this is exactly what i was looking for. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back