Best tequila for the $?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't bought tequila in forever. I love making margaritas and need some good tequila for the $. Only brands I've ever bought are Jose Cuervo and Cabrito. The Cabrito I'd bought so long ago that I can't remember where I bought it.

What would you all recommend,and where should I buy it? Specs,Western Beverages,etc?

I like 1800. I have never tried Don Julio but i hear its good.
I buy at the local ABC store, state controlled.

Last edited:
the intersection of price and quality lands at Sauza. Have heard the Kirkland Signature is a better value due to better quality and slightly more money. Stuff makes me dizzy so I stick to gin and whiskey instead.

For the $, maybe some blancos that are labeled 100% de/pure agave, if you can find it around $18-22 range - tres agaves, camarena, jose cuervo tradicional (not the especial stuff), milago silver, el jimador, epsolon, cazadores.

Given your location, I think you should hop the border, consult with the experts, do a little tasting, and report back here with your conclusions.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I haven't bought tequila in forever. I love making margaritas and need some good tequila for the $. Only brands I've ever bought are Jose Cuervo and Cabrito. The Cabrito I'd bought so long ago that I can't remember where I bought it.

What would you all recommend,and where should I buy it? Specs,Western Beverages,etc?

Sauza Hornitos.

ONLY 100% AGAVE! I don't buy the expensive stuff, in the purty bottles....that's just nuts.

You love making margaritas but haven't bought tequila in forever? How is that? Someone else pay's your booze bill?

Spec's here has a very nice, 100% agave reposado that's smooth enough to drink neat with a lime: EL DESTILADOR TEQUILA. About $18/750mL.

750123371141.jpg

I use something MUCH better than the cheap 3Sec or orange curacao on the cheap end and the outrageous Grand Marnier & Cointreau on the top end. I heartily recommend Cazanove...orange liqueur. Produced & bottled in France. A great deal at $15/L at Specs! Makes a great hand-thrown margarita. Should they be out of Cazanove, then I recommend Grand Gala as #2. It costs more, but not by much. Still far less expensive than Grand Marnier & Cointreau.

I'm off to make one myself now that I've cooled down from sweating outdoors.....it's FRIDAY! Cheers!

Don Julio without question (at least IMHO). Tried it in 1998 in Mexico City and was sold on it.

Without a doubt Espolon. My friend and I had a bit of a tequila taste off and while I don't recall all of the details, Espolon was unbelievably smooth.

Here are my recommendations;

El Espolon^
Tequila Cabeza
El Jimador (made by Herrardura and tastes almost identical)

Here's a trick for you. Look for the NOM number on the tequila label and enter it here.

http://www.tequila.net/nom-database.html

I won't butcher the Spanish, but it is the Mexican government registration number for the distillery and the online database will tell you what other tequilas are made in the same distillery. Now, they can taste different due to yeast strains and process variations, but overall they are usually similar.

For example, the Cabeza brand I mentioned above is made in the same distillery as Gran Dovejo and Don Weber. Both are expensive and Cabeza is $30/bottle (bottled at 43% to be more present in a cocktail).

Every little trick helps because there are over 1,200 tequila brands/varieties available in the U.S. There are far more available here than in Mexico, in fact. El Jimador is supposed to be the top selling brand in Mexico.

Familia Camarena is NOM 1456. Click on my link and enter 1456 to see the other tequilas made in the same distillery. There are twelve.

When you enter Cuervo's NOM you'll get nearly 50. Lots of good ones that you never thought could be Cuervo.

Lots is good. 2 shots Tequila with a shot float of Grand Mariner over ice ,,,yum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back