Too close last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are scary. I think that's about as close as you're going to get without having a tornado! Close calls aren't fun. My relatives in Northern Alabama (Huntsville) live within a mile of where one of the big ones went in April 2011.

The emergency alert system on the cell phones are pretty nice. They can send out alerts at the tower level to keep it super localized.

Here in Upstate NY we have been seeing worse and worse weather each year. Last year I had a close call with a tornado. Rotation and pretty strong winds. My apartment is all windows so I hid in the bathroom with the cat. First time I've ever been legitimitely scared of a thunderstorm. The whole building was shaking and there was wind blowing through the bathroom.

Stay safe and keep your eyes to the sky!

They are scary. I keep the SPC sight bookmarked.
The NWS on Twitter gives really good info almost live during bad weather.

That the discussion of the plainly apparent, sudden changes in weather and climate have been shunted into our dirty political system is shocking. God help us. A lightening bolt of inspiration to everyone is what's needed.

Action not posturing. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
That the discussion of the plainly apparent, sudden changes in weather and climate have been shunted into our dirty political system is shocking. God help us. A lightening bolt of inspiration to everyone is what's needed.

Say what? Looking back I didn't see anyone shift the discussion in this thread to politics, until you did.

Huh?

what???

No idea what you are talking about.

You need some new reading glasses perhaps?

I am glad I am on the east coast. Not saying there are no weather related issues, but the ones we have are typically less severe.

Huh?

There is absolutely nothing new under the sun about violent and dangerous weather in this part of the country. That's why it is called Tornado Alley. It's the norm. Most people don't even give it a second thought.

If anything, it's been a very quiet year, thus far, for tornadic activity. We've had way too much rain, though.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The emergency alert system on the cell phones are pretty nice. They can send out alerts at the tower level to keep it super localized.
Just got one of those alerts for the first time yesterday morning.

Originally Posted By: Bobcatguy
I am glad I am on the east coast. Not saying there are no weather related issues, but the ones we have are typically less severe.
I've lived here on Cape Cod since 1969 and until very recently the thought of a tornado here would be laughable, but see my response to Miller88 above. Yes, I was actually scared of the weather here for the first time ever.

To those scratching their heads @ kira's comment, miller88 had just said that the weather is getting worse and worse each year in their neck of the woods.
Some might attribute this observation/phenomena with global warming/climate change/etc.
The rules for this board clearly state that discussions of such topics are inherently political in nature, and therefore, forbidden.

Hope that clears things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back