Subaru - why all the good press?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

The best products are the ones that continually improve themselves and garner a cult following with constant return sales I think.

This. Which is why the sales argument is completely inappropriate. People will certainly buy junk by the boatload if it is priced accordingly. Look at the China 4-wheelers for example.

On the other hand, certain products, often due to unique features, even when priced much higher, will still garner a cult-like following and subsequently yield consistent, though not record breaking sales.

Yep, people once bought Yugos by the thousands. I saw one Sunday, running OK. Amazing. There can't be that many on the road still.

Originally Posted By: super20dan
bad head gaskets started around 2000 and kept on till depends on who you ask but wait till 2009 to be safe. of course then they started drinking oil so avoid them altogether to be safe. too bad the rest of the car if great except for the motor

So you are saying not to buy a Subaru bc they drink oil..ummm..no...That issue with a small percentage of ring coatings was solved in 2011. Its not possible for Subarus to leak coolant out of head gaskets beginning 2010. Heads have a different coolant loop than the block.

You want a useless FWD based system I suggest a Honda or Ford product, Toyota does better in the Rav4 somewhat.

Rubbish. I'll put my Pilot's VTM-4 against anything else getting up a steep, wet icy hill. And, I have.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
You want a useless FWD based system I suggest a Honda or Ford product, Toyota does better in the Rav4 somewhat.

Rubbish. I'll put my Pilot's VTM-4 against anything else getting up a steep, wet icy hill. And, I have.

I was referring to the CR-V since it is the only model that compares. A Pilot holds more than 5 people but I do see your point that system is actually useful.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Actual survey evidence from thousands of owners over the years lead CR to believe Subaru ranks in the upper half of all vehicle brands. I just don't see them being a huge problem. Sure individual cases exist, but if they are statistically low, then thats all we can ask. http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA970161027.PDF

Yes, and Subaru IS in the upper tier of most reliable brands and models. Consistently over the past five years or more.

I still have the first Impreza Model (1993 GC3A) in somewhere. Just turn the key and drive it hard and it's fine. The best car (former beater) I have. Compare with my ex-cars 2000Civic EX, 1995Taurus 3.0, 2002 Citroen C5 (also a great car). The Scooby is older but eats them all. The little things, like rubber and plastics are way better conserved over time. Saaame exprience with Kawasaaaki motorcycles. They're built better, and I live by the beach ...

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

The best products are the ones that continually improve themselves and garner a cult following with constant return sales I think.

This. Which is why the sales argument is completely inappropriate. People will certainly buy junk by the boatload if it is priced accordingly. Look at the China 4-wheelers for example.

On the other hand, certain products, often due to unique features, even when priced much higher, will still garner a cult-like following and subsequently yield consistent, though not record breaking sales.

Yep, people once bought Yugos by the thousands. I saw one Sunday, running OK. Amazing. There can't be that many on the road still.

Actually, since I am from Ex-Yugoslavia, Zastava was producing much better car before Yugo called Zastava 101. There are more of those 101's on the road in Ex-Yu countries then Yugos.

My family has owned a few. No problems ever with them. Good in the snow.For some reason 30MPG is what they all seemed to get,Everyone,Even various models.

Originally Posted By: ron17571
My family has owned a few. No problems ever with them. Good in the snow.For some reason 30MPG is what they all seemed to get,Everyone,Even various models.

My 1998 Outback never got 27 MPG and usually only 23.5. Mom's little 1995 1.8L Imprezza Outback Sport won't quite touch 30 and it's a slug in comparison. Coworker had an Outback with the H6 and it was a 17 MPG ride.

Anything prior to 2010 is irrelvant to Subura's great press recently. Sales drove up then with a new Forester and Outback that seemed to appeal to so many. It followed up with 2011 Impreza. The Forester and Outback have even gotten better since 2010 with redesigns 2014(forester) and 2015(outback)

Chatting about your 2001 Outback/Forester whatever with blown headgaskets and poor MPG is meaningless to 2010+. Personally I thought majority of pre 2010 products(non-turbo) were abysmal compared to non-AWD peers. I do though have a soft spot for wife's rarer 2005 Legacy wagon with civilized STI(250HP) motor and manual transmission(a hoot!)

Subaru has transformed a niche product more mainstream. Currently Outback and Crosstrek have no real competition for price point at all. Subaru is not even remotely trying to compete with the mainstream and is beyond sucessful and profitable.

I'm disappointed in you bitoger's! Appears that nobody even addressed the original post.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
the jd powers people rate them poorly as a new car, and so does consumer reports (in the readers survey for older in use cars).
something must be bad about them- what are their failure or problem areas?

JD Powers didn't rate them poorly. A large number of people that responded to the surveys had issues with the infotainment system, which Subaru has updated in the Legacy and Outback for MY2015, and pretty much the remaining models for MY2016.

But I don't blame you at all for misinterpreting the facts which the majority of the press does a poor job of telling you the details!

Quote:
First, vehicles that are all-new or that have undergone major redesigns continue to have more problems than those that carry over without significant changes. On average, all-new vehicles or major redesigns had 128 problems per 100 vehicles; vehicles without significant changes had 113. And, among the all-new vehicles, the increase in problems was mainly, once again, in the areas of voice recognition, Bluetooth pairing and audio systems. Consumers continue to report that this new technology is hard to understand, difficult to use, or simply does not always work as designed, according to the study.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/19/automo...-year.html?_r=0

Quote:
First, as its name indicates, it's all about "initial" quality, measured by problems reported by new-vehicle owners in their first 90 days of ownership. If something breaks or falls off four months in, it doesn't count here. Second, the scores are problems per 100 vehicles, or PP100. So Power's 2015 IQS industry average of 112 PP100 translates to just 1.12 reported problems per vehicle. Third, no attempt is made to differentiate BIG problems from minor ones. Thus a transmission or engine failure counts the same as a squeaky glove box door, tricky phone pairing, inconsistent voice recognition, or anything else that annoys the owner.

Traditionally, a high-quality vehicle is one that is well-bolted together. It doesn't leak, squeak, rattle, shed parts, show gaps between panels, or break down and leave you stranded. By this standard, there are very few poor-quality new vehicles in today's U.S. market.

But what "quality" should not mean, is subjective likeability: ease of operation of the radio, climate controls, or seat adjusters, phone pairing, music downloading, sizes of touch pads on an infotainment screen, quickness of system response, or accuracy of voice-recognition. These are ergonomic "human factors" issues, not "quality" problems.

Yet these kinds of pleasability issues are now dominating today's JDP "quality" ratings. "Cars and trucks have never been built better, but frustration with audio, infotainment, and navigation features on new vehicles has never been worse," Automotive News senior writer Jesse Snyder pointed out back in 2012. "For the first time, complaints about such features surpassed those about engines and transmissions as the top category... [And] half the problems reported by vehicle owners after 90 days were design related – things that are confusing or hard to use rather than faulty or broken."

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/23/-j-d-power-quality-ratings-analysis/

That said, I have had my share of major problems with my Forester. I blew a turbo at 80k miles and I had to have a valve job at 130k miles.

Neither one of those issues would keep from considering another Subaru or even another turbo Subaru, although I might think twice about another first year car.

19.gif

Last edited:
Exactly, for what they were designed to do they're the best all wheel drive system. It takes the boxer engine to make them what they are and even with its quirks it can be dealt with.

Best AWD system... even though SH-AWD from the Acura boys is excellent too... ok... coin toss. But, Ford, Chevy, Mopar, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, KiaHyundai, Mitsubishi ... don't come close when in the snow. Been there with them all.

When they were bankrupt, they dumped FWD and differentiated as an AWD only product line here. Now, they have a RWD BRZ. Maybe they'll bring back the products with FWD for the southern climates for improved MPG, weight loss,..... CAFE will force it. I also hate to say it, but CAFE requirements will eventually neuter that superb AWD.

Some of the issues can be dealt with. Consumer awareness... like using a dipstick, topping off oil/coolant.... and non extended maintenance intervals are a good start.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Originally Posted By: ron17571

My 1998 Outback never got 27 MPG and usually only 23.5. Mom's little 1995 1.8L Imprezza Outback Sport won't quite touch 30 and it's a slug in comparison. Coworker had an Outback with the H6 and it was a 17 MPG ride.

Dang that's fullsize pickup mileage there.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
the jd powers people rate them poorly as a new car, and so does consumer reports (in the readers survey for older in use cars).
something must be bad about them- what are their failure or problem areas?

You must be looking at a different JD Powers survey as well as a different CR than that which the rest of us see.
CR loves Subaru and Subarus and the cars also do well in the somewhat meaningless JD Powers surveys.
We have two Subarus at the moment out of three owned total.
Good cars that offer what may be the best AWD system out there.
Fuel economy isn't great and the automatic is a little soft in the '09 Forester, while it bangs out redline upshifts in the older Legacy. This is also one of the better automatics available and is pretty bullet-proof, although an additional gear would be nice.
If you want a relatively inexpensive car and really need (or want) AWD, there aren't any other viable choices out there.
An AWD Subie is magic in the winter and has more off-road capability than many competing pretenders.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Anything prior to 2010 is irrelvant to Subura's great press recently. Sales drove up then with a new Forester and Outback that seemed to appeal to so many. It followed up with 2011 Impreza. The Forester and Outback have even gotten better since 2010 with redesigns 2014(forester) and 2015(outback)

Chatting about your 2001 Outback/Forester whatever with blown headgaskets and poor MPG is meaningless to 2010+. Personally I thought majority of pre 2010 products(non-turbo) were abysmal compared to non-AWD peers. I do though have a soft spot for wife's rarer 2005 Legacy wagon with civilized STI(250HP) motor and manual transmission(a hoot!)

So is this how we will judge all automakers? I know, me being a D bag again. So the next time someone judges GM off the Vega they had in the 70's or the intake gasket they did on their GM in 04, is the response I should give and expect it to be accepted by BITOG? Just asking. You know bored on a Sunday night.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If you want a relatively inexpensive car and really need (or want) AWD, there aren't any other viable choices out there.
An AWD Subie is magic in the winter and has more off-road capability than many competing pretenders.

Ignoring the fact that just about every manufacturer offers a capable AWD vehicle that probably meets or exceeds Subaru. IMHO a lot of their "magic" is more high ground clearance (see how high Subies sit vs others). The other piece is an AWD system that can route power to the slipping wheel. Something that Haldex has been offering for years now.

Don't get me wrong, I think Subarus are nice cars. But magical they ain't.

I can say that my lowly Ford with AWD does very well in the slippery stuff. Plant the throttle and off it goes. Only time I've gotten "stuck" was on our quite steep driveway where I had the rear driver's and front passenger's wheel spinning on ice. A crazy combo for any AWD system to handle. Luckily a running start fixed that.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Ignoring the fact that just about every manufacturer offers a capable AWD vehicle that probably meets or exceeds Subaru. IMHO a lot of their "magic" is more high ground clearance (see how high Subies sit vs others). The other piece is an AWD system that can route power to the slipping wheel. Something that Haldex has been offering for years now.

Don't get me wrong, I think Subarus are nice cars. But magical they ain't.

I can say that my lowly Ford with AWD does very well in the slippery stuff. Plant the throttle and off it goes. Only time I've gotten "stuck" was on our quite steep driveway where I had the rear driver's and front passenger's wheel spinning on ice. A crazy combo for any AWD system to handle. Luckily a running start fixed that.

Subaru has the BEST awd. That said living in snow country and driving for 51 years I never had a awd or 4 wd, just a good set of winter tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCuvwYd9JuE

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Only time I've gotten "stuck" was on our quite steep driveway where I had the rear driver's and front passenger's wheel spinning on ice. A crazy combo for any AWD system to handle. Luckily a running start fixed that.

That is something the Subaru AWD and other top tier AWD prevail at. Many top tier AWD are very expensive and Subaru is exception to that rule in base models across line.

However as you found majority of time not needed unless you live in tough conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back