Blowby versus engine load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they are painted that way by the train fairies at 2Am in the morning so that the Eastbound trains know which track to stay on.

What's your other theory ?

(and where do your tyres go ?)

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I don't know about your camry but the ones on my vette go from solid to gaseous state.

A quick visit to a quarry or any place that heavily loaded vehicles are under load will show the fairies are busily painting away.

The same evidence can sometimes be seen at the scale exit at weigh stations.

What about the stationary units? I don't recall seeing any dump spot on the GM EMD 20 cylinder 2MW unit I had experience with. I wrote maintenance procedures for the unit and spent months crawling all over it. It was clean enough to eat off. It was a shutdown power unit at a nuclear plant.

Power Stations have other fairies...they like to be called "greasers" and "cleaners"...

Some EMD's also have airbox cannisters (catchcans if you will)...our older loco's did. The newer one's had closed ventilation systems. The only place they ever made a mess was at the fuel island.

Power Stations have other fairies...

1E qualified fairies. I would think as an efficiency engineer you'd know that.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
Some EMD's also have airbox cannisters (catchcans if you will)...our older loco's did. The newer one's had closed ventilation systems. The only place they ever made a mess was at the fuel island.

exactly, Why different rules for a traction unit which is basically the same engine. Especially since its so easy to have a closed system.

Another pic, this time off a branch that at least half of these 3000 tonne plus payload coal trains use to get to the main line.

IMG_07651.jpg

This bit of track, being a branch, they accelerate from a standstill under light load, and run at walking pace off into the distance and the main line.

Again, the train track fairies have been busy, but their pallet is a little less full.

Update, had a few beers with a bloke who drives the coal trains.

The older trains have straight breathers/vents onto the gap between the engines and the tracks, and emit visible blowby under load.

The newer ones have breather "catch cans" for want of a better word that drain (into the fuel tank).

Both require the driver to confirm engine oil level before moving off.

He's never seen a track painting fairy.

Those are not EMD 2-stroke locomotives.
They look like older GEs.
"Rail Fans" are better at identifying power
than most rail employees are.
After all, it's their hobbie. lol

I've driven past this very spot over 4,500 times (more than double that if you count going the other way at the other part of the day)...and I have noticed this effect, but only yesterday it sunk in.

You're kidding.

Originally Posted By: onetwoothreee
I've driven past this very spot over 4,500 times (more than double that if you count going the other way at the other part of the day)...and I have noticed this effect, but only yesterday it sunk in.

You're kidding.

Over 5,200 now...Every working day since 1992...

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I don't know about your camry but the ones on my vette go from solid to gaseous state.

Hopefully only the rears ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back