costco gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow is all I can say to so many of these responses.. Ignorance unfortunately.. and I don't say that in a mean way. I hauled gasoline, jet fuel, and aviation fuel in Austin, Tx and Dallas/Ft Worth for 7 years. In Austin there is ONE loading facility.. all gas for Shell, Chevron, Texaco, Mobil, Exxon.. all the major brands and all the independent brands come out of the same tanks. The only difference being the additives (Techron etc.) that are squirted into the fill lines during loading. DFW is served by 2 pipelins.. Koch and Explorer.. there are different loading facilities but the base gasoline is refined in Houston and piped to DFW..again you get either a Koch or Explorer base Gasoline with the only difference being the additive package that is injected at loading. What do I do?..I buy the cheapest gas available then about every 4th fill up hit a Chevron or other major brand and let their additives do a little cleaning. Moral of the story.. the base gasoline is the same across most brands regardless of where you live so making a big hoopla about brand x or y being better gas is not a good idea..If you have an additive preference.. cool, no problem. If you ever get bad gasoline in your car it is usually a malfunction with the station's equipment or filtration.. not the gas itself. Peace.

I don't think any of us have an issue with the base gasoline itself. Most of us know that if there's a problem, it's that the station uses as little in the way of additives as they can, or they have tank issues or other equipment problems, or it sits around in their tanks forever. Here, there's essentially one loading place, too, as I've mentioned multiple times on the board.

Originally Posted By: Garak
it's that the station uses as little in the way of additives as they can

The additives are added at the station? I thought it was at the terminal (except for Costco).

Obviously, it depends upon market, but independent gas stations order what they're willing to pay for. Some additives can be done at the station, with most cases done primarily before delivery.

If an independent wants to buy Shell V-Power+ (or equivalent) and sell that as regular, they're perfectly free to do so. They're also perfectly free to buy the most bare bones finished gas they can get their hands on, and that's more commonly the case.

As for equipment, I'm sure Shell, Esso, and the like don't want their name at a station that's falling apart and selling gas from leaky, rusty tanks and seldom maintained pumps. The independents only have to worry about the regulators.

There can be 20 loading facilities. In DFW I was authorized at 12 and there were several others. The numbers you count are the pipelines that the loading facilities draw from. Ind DFW there were 2 pipelines... in Austin there was 1.All the loading facilities in a given area will draw gas for their Tank Farm/Loading Facility from the locally available pipelines.Gasoline has a specific chemical formula and the gas that enters the pipeline at the refiners end is required to meet that formula.
Even the house brand gas.. Koch or Explorer Gas that is sold to independent stations has an additive package. It may not be as strong as a major brand or have been given a Fancy name like Techron or Vektron but they do have detergent agents in them.
I wouldn't place alot of credo in the "factory recommended" brand of fuel.. Did the gasoline manufacturer pay the automobile mfg to recommend their product? "But the factory engineers said" blah blah blah...
I can tell you this.. the Engineers without hesitation will suggest you keep carbon deposits off your engine internals. There are a myriad of safe/economical ways to do that. If a major gas mfg's additive package meets the carbon deposit abatement standards and is willing to pay for advertising with the auto manufacturer .. well.. there you go.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Originally Posted By: Garak
it's that the station uses as little in the way of additives as they can

The additives are added at the station? I thought it was at the terminal (except for Costco).

They are added at the loading Facility .. at least the base additive package is. There are big electronic injectors on the pipes that are clicking away as the fuel is going onboard the truck. Those are putting the additive pkg in the base fuel. If costco has additional product they are offering..mixed at the pump.. it is on top of the base additive package.

Originally Posted By: kyledallas
Even the house brand gas.. Koch or Explorer Gas that is sold to independent stations has an additive package.

Of course, there are minimum standards that must be met.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Costco gas is the best gasoline you can get. The only gasoline that comes close to it is Union 76.

How did you come up with those conclusions? And what do you mean by "the best"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back