Longevity of VW paint...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: iahawk
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
I will never understand the need to do any of what's listed above to a car, If you seriously enjoy doing it then more power to you.

by doing this, there is no overall benefit other then MAYBE how "good" it looks later on and it's not a rare car so you won't really be helping it's value for the time spent.

Enjoying a clean, detailed car is something that I (and many others) happen to like. There's nothing like smoothe shiny paint and an interior that looks as good as, if not better than, the day you drove it off the lot!

What is more curious is why you are hanging out on a detailing forum?? No offense, but if you don't get 'detailing' a car, why this forum? I see detailing like a hobby, something that you enjoy doing...it's not for everyone, but what is?

So very true, it is indeed a hobby...and for me I find detailing very therapeutic.

I just went out and took these pics of the 2013 Beetle TDI. It's "Tornado Red" and chips very easily from rocks. I haven't seen any other car do this other than my Beetle which was repainted years ago with terrible paint. Other than that the paint seems fine, maybe a little swirly. The 2004 Beetle isn't too bad, it's black and hasn't lived the clean gorgeous life like your Accord. Haha.

The car hasn't been washed in about 1 1/2 months so I apologize in advance for it being so dirty, but here's the pictures of the chips. It probably has 20+ chips now.

10hr85l.jpg

2vajnt0.jpg

google "fixing road rash" and pick up one of those kits to do a thorough job or pick up a paint stick to patch big chips.

Originally Posted By: iahawk
I will never understand the need to do any of what's listed above to a car, If you seriously enjoy doing it then more power to you.

by doing this, there is no overall benefit other then MAYBE how "good" it looks later on and it's not a rare car so you won't really be helping it's value for the time spent.

Enjoying a clean, detailed car is something that I (and many others) happen to like. There's nothing like smoothe shiny paint and an interior that looks as good as, if not better than, the day you drove it off the lot!

What is more curious is why you are hanging out on a detailing forum?? No offense, but if you don't get 'detailing' a car, why this forum? I see detailing like a hobby, something that you enjoy doing...it's not for everyone, but what is?

Well said.

I also love the use of absolutes when the poster only wants such a statement to be true.

BTW, I was able to get a significant amount of money knocked off the price if my last vehicle due to the paint being significantly trashed. Overall purchase pirce was a ways under market pricing. Had the car been treated to a wax a few times a year and the non-touchless car washes been avoided it would have looked significantly better when I bought it.

Proper vehicle car, be it inside, outside or underhood, almost always has some sort of return on the back end.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I just went out and took these pics of the 2013 Beetle TDI. It's "Tornado Red" and chips very easily from rocks. I haven't seen any other car do this other than my Beetle which was repainted years ago with terrible paint. Other than that the paint seems fine, maybe a little swirly. The 2004 Beetle isn't too bad, it's black and hasn't lived the clean gorgeous life like your Accord. Haha.

The car hasn't been washed in about 1 1/2 months so I apologize in advance for it being so dirty, but here's the pictures of the chips. It probably has 20+ chips now.

10hr85l.jpg

2vajnt0.jpg

Wow, that is pretty rough looking Nick. Any way you could get a shot of the car overall? So far the Jetta has 2 rock chips but they are pretty tiny.

Yes, I greatly enjoy detailing cars. Also, a clean car in good cosmetic shape is a HUGE factor is resale. Most buyers are oblivious and could care less about asking about maintenance history. If the car is clean and shiny they assume its been well cared for and will be willing to pay more. This is not why I detail my car and others though, I just want them looking nice! Plus, many waxes do have UV protectants in them which should help ward off some sun damage, and we have plenty of sun here in FL.

I washed the 2004 Beetle today and waxed with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax, just did a quick job. The paint isn't too bad, it has lots of flaws but most of them are from road debris or people dinging it in a parking lot. It was garaged at home and at work for 10 years, this past year it's only been garaged at home and occasionally in the afternoon and has seen a lot of sun this past year, although it still looks ok I suspect it would start fading after many more years in the sun like many Arizona cars. Overall, not too bad.

Also ignore the front bumper and hood paint, years back the tread from a semi-truck tire was flipped into the front of the car at 70 mph taking out the hood, headlight, and caved in the windshield and the body shop used terrible paint.

I'll probably wash the 2013 Beetle this weekend.

2wod2qg.jpg

2czx4s7.jpg

eiwja0.jpg

5euadc.jpg

I washed the 2004 Beetle today and waxed with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax, just did a quick job. The paint isn't too bad, it has lots of flaws but most of them are from road debris or people dinging it in a parking lot. It was garaged at home and at work for 10 years, this past year it's only been garaged at home and occasionally in the afternoon and has seen a lot of sun this past year, although it still looks ok I suspect it would start fading after many more years in the sun like many Arizona cars. Overall, not too bad.

Also ignore the front bumper and hood paint, years back the tread from a semi-truck tire was flipped into the front of the car at 70 mph taking out the hood, headlight, and caved in the windshield and the body shop used terrible paint.

I'll probably wash the 2013 Beetle this weekend.

2wod2qg.jpg

2czx4s7.jpg

eiwja0.jpg

5euadc.jpg

Looks good! Thanks for sharing.

Greg, I washed the 2013 Beetle yesterday. Here's some pics. Hasn't had spray wax at all, and the last time I waxed it was with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax in April. Has 30k miles.

rlyp29.jpg

2yo4r9j.jpg

vi342w.jpg

ht74hh.jpg

52gllc.jpg

nlbibn.jpg

My aunt has owned the car for 20 1/2 months now, here's some pics for comparison that I took in January 2014 when she owned it for 3 months.

2wod26d.jpg

ehlwjk.jpg

e5sdwy.jpg

n6ujt.jpg

The car looks good overall...but wow, those rock chips! Hopefully the paint on the Jetta holds up better than this. Thanks for the pics!

It should do a lot better, Phoenix is a desert with lots of rocks all over the place, the sides of all of our highways is all gravel.

Greg, I washed the 2013 Beetle yesterday. Here's some pics. Hasn't had spray wax at all, and the last time I waxed it was with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax in April. Has 30k miles.

rlyp29.jpg

2yo4r9j.jpg

vi342w.jpg

ht74hh.jpg

52gllc.jpg

nlbibn.jpg

That seems like a lot of rock chips for only 30,000 miles. My 2012 Honda Accord(which is supposed to have paint that is not durable) has 2 tiny chips and 45,000 miles. It seems like the Paint Honda used on my Accord is super tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back