royal purple question

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, i have a question for any royal purple oil filter users. i am looking for a premium filter with the bypass valve located on the end nearest the threads rather than on the closed end. i have seen some pictures of cut open royal purple filters and some have them on the open end and some on the closed end, but not recent pictures of the oil filter i would use. i tried to locate royal purple filters here in Canada and couldn't. after phoning and talking to a sales rep he said it was because they don't feel like putting french on their labeling... so, are any of you USA guys using any of these filters and can check for me? 10-2808, or 10-2867, or 10-2876. or if anyones in a store do you mind to open a box and see for me? i have always used wix because thats where they had their bypass valve but now they are changing some of them and im thinking i would like a synthetic media filter instead of a cellulose one.
i did see a picture of the 2876 from 2012 or 2013 but maybe they have changed now, i know wix has gone back and forth
Thanks!

Why not just use a Fram Ultra?

They can be had on sale from time to time at CT for $9.99, and they are an excellent filter.

Another option is the M1 filter, but it doesn't go on sale very often.

Again, you are over-thinking and obsessing over this for nothing...

do you know what i am thinking and obsessing about with this?
when i cut my filters apart the cans are full of junk that is not attached to the media.
in the winter the bypass valve opens.
i dont see that as obsessing.
2elb334.jpg

i would like to keep that junk in the filter where it belongs is all

If the PN fits, I could care less where the bypass is.

I like the RP filters so I won't state to try another brand.

Will have to check pepboys this weekend to see if they have them .

Originally Posted By: addyguy

They can be had on sale from time to time at CT for $9.99, and they are an excellent filter.

Addyguy is right youre definitely over thinking this the amount of oil that passes through the bypass is nothing vs the amount of oil that goes through the media nothing is going to be flushed through

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

Everyone has their preferences.
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: robo339
Originally Posted By: addyguy

Addyguy is right youre definitely over thinking this the amount of oil that passes through the bypass is nothing vs the amount of oil that goes through the media nothing is going to be flushed through

I didnt really want this to turn into a bypass valve debate but o well. You have your opinion and i have mine, do you have any proof of yours?

With the mileage you have on your cars, you have no proof that what is happening is shortening engine life...

Your car got this far on what you have been using, and NOW you start to worry?

I don't get it.

You said you wanted to keep the junk in the filter...which is where it is! You have a pic that shows this!

The dirt is trapped in the media, and in the oil left in the filter being 'swished around' during the oil change and cutting, it ends up on the can...its not in your engine, so the filter did its job!

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

"Couldn't" care less... I can't let that go when it completely changes the meaning of a sentence, sorry!

Bypass events aren't as often as you think especially with synthetic microglass filters since the differential pressure is much lower than cellulose filters. Even when it does open its mostly going to crack open slightly when you give it too much gas when the oil is cold and it will not fully open or stay opened long.

Jim Allen did lots of testing with custom differential pressure setup to prove this.

I have 2 1.7L civic motors behind my shed with thrown bearings. A neighbour 2 doors down had to replace his 1.7L because of a thrown bearing. These are not durable engines. Does anyone tear them down and figure out why they quit? No, because a used engine is 500-700 and rebuild kits are way more.
That filter is a wix, bypass being on the thread end, hence junk still in the can.

I talked to an engineer at royal purple briefly, he believes every single particle gets buried so hard in the media that it doesnt matter. Didnt want to talk about it when i said the filters i cut apart arent like that.
Assuming something is designed perfectly isnt always the best idea. Do the people who design filters cut apart the ones they have made after they have been in use on an actual car?
Its guys sitting behind a computer running simulations. Then they test it with warm oil to see how well it filters and if it blows up or not.
I deal with designs from engineers almost every day where i work. I have to build their designs. Its admittedly not automotive related but its incredible what they dont think of. Even when we build things. Seems like a great idea, everything works, send the product out to be tested and it comes back because they forgot to tell us some important detail or something we just never thought of was important.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Bypass events aren't as often as you think especially with synthetic microglass filters since the differential pressure is much lower than cellulose filters. Even when it does open its mostly going to crack open slightly when you give it too much gas when the oil is cold and it will not fully open or stay opened long.

Jim Allen did lots of testing with custom differential pressure setup to prove this.

Thanks, i am aware that they dont stay open long, rarely open and cycle open and closed when they do. Do you happen to have any links for that testing or perhaps the title of his thread i could search for?

Here's some of the threads i can find. In order of posting

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2935796/1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2975410

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3197094

IF you ever want to find anything on BITOG, just try this. This is what i typed into google to find this.

"Jim Allen Differential Pressure testing Site:Bobistheoilguy.com"

basically you type what you are looking for and at the end of it you type site:bobistheoilguy.com

You will be able to get Royal Purple filters in Canada. The bad news is you may have to get a case in by special order. Any RP dealer should be able to get you the filters that way. My RP dealer advised me I could if I so chose.

Use any top tier filter-Ultra,Mobil 1,Napa Gold etc.
These will keep all the junk in the filter where it belongs.
You do know who makes RP filters don't you?

I agree with the OP to try keep the bypass at the base end in theory. But do my fleet filters have this currently - no :)Thinking as an M.E., down-shift throttle blipping for rev match on MT cars could cause a very short bypass event with warm oil. Choice depends on your tolerance for bearing streaking.
Ironically, a well placed main or rod streak could possibly demonstrate BETTER oiling for a long while - until there is no bearing left
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Festiva_Man

I talked to an engineer at royal purple briefly, he believes every single particle gets buried so hard in the media that it doesnt matter. Didnt want to talk about it when i said the filters i cut apart arent like that.

The RP engineer is right. You're missing a key point here... when bypass DOES occur, it occurs AFTER the rated pressure has already developed across the media due to flow through the media. For example- if bypass happens at 8 PSI, then oil must already be flowing through the media fast enough to develop an 8 PSI differential across the media, and that flow firmly pins all debris to the media BEFORE the bypass valve opens.

When you cut a filter open, there's zero pressure differential, and the leftover oil in the filter even flows backwards through the media to drain out, and then gets further sloshed and swirled around as you're cutting.

You're worrying about the wrong things. You should be wondering why whatever oil you're using is letting crunchy bits form in the crankcase in the first place... that's not acceptable.

Originally Posted By: Festiva_Man
Assuming something is designed perfectly isnt always the best idea. Do the people who design filters cut apart the ones they have made after they have been in use on an actual car?
Its guys sitting behind a computer running simulations. Then they test it with warm oil to see how well it filters and if it blows up or not.
I deal with designs from engineers almost every day where i work. I have to build their designs. Its admittedly not automotive related but its incredible what they dont think of. Even when we build things. Seems like a great idea, everything works, send the product out to be tested and it comes back because they forgot to tell us some important detail or something we just never thought of was important.

If you don't trust RP oil filter engineers, why don't you design your own perfect filter and have someone build it for you? If you can design it so much better than RP, Fram, and M1, then your new filter should sell like crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back