Weird Oil Change Experience- Honda 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
our 06 tsx and 01 integra both drain more when only the front is jacked up. I do cold drains and that brings out even more oil.

Two quick thoughts: First, this is a three-year-old thread.

Second, up until 2012 or so, Honda owner's manuals included a fairly complete specifications section. Among the specs was one for the total engine oil capacity, in addition to the usual oil-change amount with or without a filter change. The total oil capacity was (and likely still is) roughly 9/10th of a quart more than the oil-change amount, with or without filter.

So, if you are one of the obsessive/compulsive types who not only jacks up your Honda to change the oil but also, deliberately or incidentally, lifts one side of your car higher than the other to get just that much more oil to drain out, you're going to end up adding more than 4.2 or 4.4 quarts.

I went through this confusion while doing a change on daughter's 2006 Civic Si. The 2.0 engine showed two specs. Can't remember the lower one (4. Something) but the correct one was 5.8 qts. I used a 5 liter jug of Motul and then lightly topped it off. As others have mentioned it's easy to come home from the store with a gallon jug and then need those more expensive individual qts. to top it off. It's one of the few beefs I have with RL - Gallons are the only mass qty.

With my 05 CRV, I ride it up home made ramps front end raised 4.5" and let the oil drain for ~10 minutes (oil is warm/hot). Simply put in ~4.5 litres and walk away. Don't even need to check the level. It always ends up around the 1/2 - 3/4" full on the dipstick. 5 qts on this engine would be the absolute max I would put in.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Hot oil expands, typically raising the line on your dipstick a good bit. That explains the higher level after driving it.

...and perhaps why some makers recommend checking oil when the engine is COLD...

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: webfors
Hot oil expands, typically raising the line on your dipstick a good bit. That explains the higher level after driving it.

...and perhaps why some makers recommend checking oil when the engine is COLD...

Oil volume expands by about 6% in going from room temperature to operating temperature hot. Thats a third of a quart in a 5-quart sump. More than I thought! Expansion coefficient is 0.039 per degF, and I figured about a 150 degF change.

Last edited:
Ok, I will chime in since I have a tsx and I service this car since the beginning. This happens to me only when switching to a different brand motor oil. I've always used PP 5w-30 and jack up the front end only. All it takes is 4.4-4.5 qts until full mark on the dipstick. But when I switched to GC 0w-30 for the first time, it took all 5 qt. bottles of the GC. It was weird but I have no idea why. Not an oil guru or anything, just sharing my experience. Btw, my car is smoother with GC but the k24 on the tsx is a high compression, high revving 4 cyl, and it felt more sluggish than the PP 5w-30.

Last edited:
My 2010 Acura TSX 2.4L takes exactly 4 quarts without filter and 4.2 quarts with filter. Exactly. I change it so often I dump the oil in and know it is going to be exactly at the full line on the dipstick when I'm done. The dipstick will be wrong if you check it in the driveway when you are done. You need to drive it around the block for 5 minutes and than check it later on a level surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back