Looking to get a first dirtbike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry had to make a 3rd post.

Yeah just glanced over at what the Yamaha tw200 has to offer and I would say heck yeah. Have two set of tires for it and it could work for my liking.

Cool, I'll do some researching in it and find a local dealer that's either around here or more south to go sit on it and see how I like it and post on here what I thought.

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper

KDX? Never heard of those? Where are they generally made or originated from.

Kawasaki made the KDX175 back in 1979 which then by 1983 had morphed into the KDX200. Final design years were 95-06 for the 200 and 97-05 for the KDX220.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/

Made in Japan by Kawasaki Heavy Industries. My old 90s Kaw two stroke still runs wonderfully.

Then I read last night that the TW200 only has one set of tires that works? Is that true?

All in all to find one of them for a good price and in good well taken cared of shape... I would be a happy camper.

Then I read last night that the TW200 only has one set of tires that works? Is that true?

All in all to find one of them for a good price and in good well taken cared of shape... I would be a happy camper.

Do you have a lot of sand in your area? If so the fat tires would be worth it.
If you ever foresee yourself riding a bit more aggressively off road, maybe a 1990's 200cc 4T dual sport would be good to start with too, as they are still low but have a little more suspension than the TW and normal tires to carve some turns with. A buddy had an XR200 and it was a fun little bike to wring out. Once you ride for a bit, you'll know what you want to try next.
I like honking around on my YZ250 but that's with lots of experience, motocross bikes of any size are not good to learn on, or good for much relaxed trail riding.
You want your first couple whiskey throttle moments to happen on some thing slow... I put a CT110 about 4' up a tree with no scars to show for it, the same mistake on even a CR125 could've put me in a wheel chair.

Yeah, IndyIan. Yeah the soil type around here has a lot of sand more or less clay red dirt.

The dirt roads have a great deal of sand on the sides as well as half the fields around here, too. That's where I would enjoy riding in friends fields when they are not tilled yet or maybe tilled, too.

With the fatter tire and ride quality does it give more cushiony of a ride because the tire itself is more rubber and flotation?

I never thought the day that I really consider like 75% or better of my way of thinking would love to get a bike. But soon after riding that youngster size bike for a 3day weekend I think my heart is set at getting one finally because I always kinda wanted one. NOW I do!

I have already figured out how I can haul it with the jeep or the truck without a trailer.
Ever seen or used one of the hitchhaul carriers for bikes?
The tacoma has a camper shell so that will always stay on for the most part. But at times I would take it off to haul the bike a good distance if needed.

I saw in Cabelas the masterbuilt dirt bike hauler. Up to a 400cc bike I think it said. Then I looked on Amazon and read reviews.

That's how intrigued with the idea of getting a bike. The

The dual purpose of the yamaha TW200 is probably a great fit for me.
I'm going to a dealer soon to see how it feels to sit on it. I might even consider doing a demo test ride of one thereafter.

Do some Craigslist searching. Buying new is a sure way to loose a lot of money fast on a dirt bike IMHO.

There are a lot of great low hour bikes on craigslist if you look around for a week or two.

I along with others will recommend you get at least a 125 2 stroke/ 250 4-stroke. My Recommendation would be a a KDX 200/220 as well. A 125 2-stroke will probably be a bit peaky for your liking as a farm putter, but a 200cc+ 2-stroke will provide you with strong putting power as well as plenty of power when you want it.

You can find a good well taken care of KDX or 125-250 2-stroke used for $1500-2000.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Do some Craigslist searching. Buying new is a sure way to loose a lot of money fast on a dirt bike IMHO.

There are a lot of great low hour bikes on craigslist if you look around for a week or two.

I along with others will recommend you get at least a 125 2 stroke/ 250 4-stroke. My Recommendation would be a a KDX 200/220 as well. A 125 2-stroke will probably be a bit peaky for your liking as a farm putter, but a 200cc+ 2-stroke will provide you with strong putting power as well as plenty of power when you want it.

You can find a good well taken care of KDX or 125-250 2-stroke used for $1500-2000.

That's the kind of advice needed. Which cc I am more likely will be suited for.

Talking today on the phone with the good friend who had the wreck when he was in his 20s. Well he said when I mentioned 2stroke he thought that those bikes really have the power that if I am not aware of it at all times I can have the bike get away from me. 55mph or less is really how fast I want to go. Nothing really more. As for around the farm a good 1st or 2nd gear speed is really what would be where I'll be at most where I'm driving. On the road 45mph to 55 is all I'll probably go for to get somewhere in a hurry.

I've already thought of craigslist as well. I even told the friend that I would probably find a bike near his hometown all because he and his brother would tell me if a potential bike is worth getting it not if I find a great buy used. If not there both of them would have to take a road trip with me to check over and test drive any prospects.

They have a '99 ktm 650 4stroke 4valves
And a 70s or 80s triumph among what other bikes they have

So a good used bike shouldn't cost anymore than perhaps $2,500? Because if any more I kinda would want to go ahead and buy new as I think once I buy a new if that's the route I go. I'll keep the bike a longer time than if it was used.

I have finding a great deal of bikes online not on cycletrader or craigslist but at bikefinds.com and another site.

I also found the first year they were made was in 1987 and the ones prior to 2000 yr models had both kickstarters and electric starters. I'll definitely want both. 60mph is the top speed depending on size of rider. Perfect! I don't want to ever go any faster than that.

I have finding a great deal of bikes online not on cycletrader or craigslist but at bikefinds.com and another site.

I also found the first year they were made was in 1987 and the ones prior to 2000 yr models had both kickstarters and electric starters. I'll definitely want both. 60mph is the top speed depending on size of rider. Perfect! I don't want to ever go any faster than that.

not sure where you are in Alabama, but here are a few ive found listed around birmingham that look like decent bikes. They are also considerably less than a brand new one.

http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/5100315641.html
http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/5099267940.html
http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/5070770518.html
http://huntsville.craigslist.org/mcy/5080871278.html
http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/5069427281.html
http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/5051734991.html
http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/5096931753.html
http://huntsville.craigslist.org/mcy/5065130112.html

I tried to select a variety of 2 and 4 strokes bikes. I think most of these would be decent buys at considerably less than a new $6000+ bike. Good luck!

OP, it's not so much the speed of a 250 2-stroke but the on/off powerband that can get you in trouble. The recommendations on the KDX 200/220 are great. That's an excellent trail bike- cheap, reliable and has enough power to be fun but won't kill you as quickly as a 250 2-stroke MX bike.

I won't say that I found one that is a 2014 with only 29miles. Dealer but it's what people use to do a lot of before Craigslist came around. If that ain't a hint enough.

If anyone got it. I will buy it off of you if you are unsatisfied with it because I cant quite get one just yet due to my budget. But soon enough I will.

I'm glad to the few of you that pointed out the TW200 and I even would consider the XT250.

I'm thinking the ktm bikes would be a bike that I would get hurt on much faster due to the insane powerband. I'm not using it for dirt tracks or jumps!!! I rather hurt myself 3 other ways than on a dirtbike.
But I know a motorcyclist knows the saying "it's not if you are going to have a mishap... It's when."

I would seriously consider an on-off road bike. You can always put more aggressive tires on it if you're going to be riding strictly off-road. I had a Suzuki DR-350 and wish I would have got the street legal version. This way you're not limited to where you can ride, and you have the option of buying plates for it in the future even if you're not going to be riding the streets for now. Don't get something too small, like the others suggested. You will regret it 6 months from now (I thought my 350 was too small after riding it the first couple times, but I was experienced with motorcycles).

And I happened to check last night the licensing of motorcyclists.

All street bike dirt bike hybrid have to have the license or endorsement on a regular license. Dirt bikes obviously none bc it's offroad duh.

If it were used for around here county Mounties would be the ones to question me. If I take it for a ride through any small town which are a ways away. Then i could be a rebel.

I did find in bikefinds.com that it is a great database for bikes and Powersports of craigslist ads across the country. I have even considered jumping on board of getting two used bikes within the next 6mths if not sooner. A enduro and a strictly dirt/trail/back roads demon that goes 55mph or less!!! Because the prices that I have seen I'm like for that price I could buy two for the dual purpose and the other for getting dirty on. And that would make more sense than paying double what one bike would cost new!!!

But now which to really go for .... Get used to a dirt bike that is 150cc to 250cc dirt

Or get a enduro because I need to learn more street smarts while being on a motorcycle than on the dirt of the backwoods and country side.

Mik. Thanks for those links. The first link was cool that a 2stroke could have the oil injected instead of worrying with mixing. Then reading about the other bike on the 2nd link.. I'll just have to see.

Dirt is by far the best place to learn to ride. You can learn to master all aspects of riding (including front brake use, something many "pavement queens" never get) without having to worry about some distracted soccer mom running you over.

Enjoy the ride and don't be too worried about falling (wear proper gear and experiment). Trust me, you will be a much better (and safer) rider in the end.

Good luck with your purchase and welcome to the wonderful world of bikes!

cheers

MiK

Especially the respect in a certain aspect. We all looking out for other bikers. The infamous "wave" is always great to see in the world of bikers,,, true bikers on the roadways.

Yeah, I'm thinking dirt, too. When I was using the mini dirt bike crf 70. Just for a few days. I got use to using the front brake anyhow those three days bc obviously the foot brake was kinda difficult to mash down with bigger feet than a typical youngster that the bike is intended for.

So now I'm still looking at the yamaha TW200 for the big rear tire for around the farm. Yet will still check out a test drive on a Honda, Kawasaki and yamaha 250 or less for being an agile trail bike. So smaller yet powerful low range is a must in first 2 gears as I don't need speed whatsoever. And yes I'll get proper gear as well. I don't my knees and elbows and shoulders messed up. Helmets.... There's a wide variety for all kinds of crazy money.

Hayfields will be my perfect playground to get the hang of how the bike will really show its true colors. Plus I will have a softer landing that dirt road or trail typically...

Thanks again to all of you for your input.
If any more questions come to mind once I test drive or find someone that has the size bike I woukd want to get... Maybe I can leave them the keys to my truck just for collateral if they are unsure with me taking their toy fifty yards and back to them. Only makes sense, doesnt it?

There are two within a few miles of here but they are distant neighbors that may be unsure with me test driving theirs for a short distance. I think they are both Hondas. Not quite sure what size engine. But soon I will ask them when I catch them out ridingto talk it over how they like it and if they are willing to sell to get a bigger bike. 😇😇

The 350 KTM enduro is only 236 lbs without gasoline.
Best of all it is street legal, so you can ride to
where you want to ride.
Mine, I have to load it in the truck, drive to where I
want to ride, load it and unload it again.

Honda XR 650R, aftermarket everything. No power. Ha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Knee guards are the most important thing you can have for basic riding gear on a dirt bike. I wiped out a knee at low speed because I figured at the time I don't ride like a wild man and I'm not going to wreck. Set your tire pressures low so you'll handle better in the dirt. Get a decent helmet, gloves, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back