Amsoil to add 0w40 euro formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this was posted already or not but I saw a newsletter today saying amsoil is adding a 0w40 euro formula. It should be a nice addition to their current lineup.

Last edited:
Amsoil says it is "recommended for" LL-01 and 229.5. Do they actually have LL-01 and 229.5 approval, and have they actually run all the tests required for that approval?

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Amsoil says it is "recommended for" LL-01 and 229.5. Do they actually have LL-01 and 229.5 approval, and have they actually run all the tests required for that approval?

I was wondering about that too.

Scott

I see it plays at the low end of the SAE 40 grade,
so it's not a big leap from someone using a 10W30
or 5w30 and wanting to move up a notch.

HTHS of 3.7 is what we have been discussing and cussing
over for the last week.

If someone wants 4.1< HTHS, then they can buy a 5W40
or 10W40 and give up a little fuel economy.

Their 0W-40 AZF looks very nice but the new EFO 0W-40... with so high Noack is just a copy of 5W-40 EFM - exactly the same specs but a 0W-40 (reason for even higher Noack than the EFM) + higher viscosity index - typical for 0W-40. Many cheap oils like this one in Europe. Disappointing..

I suppose the additive supplier will instruct the blender
to use this additive and that combination of base oils
to arrive at what should be a certifiable finished product.

Would that be good enough for you?

Still a 5W30 with a HTHS of 3.6 looks better to me than
a 0W40 with a HTHS of 3.7, unless I'm out in -40 weather.

The long list of 5W40s, suggest that this
is the preferred grade for manufactures seeking engine
protection instead of fuel economy.

Regarding 5W-30, Amsoil AEL low saps had Noack 7,8% and HTHS 3,7 in gray label and now it is 10% what is MB229.51 max allowed.

Amsoil AFL 5W-40 mid saps also had Noack 7,4% in gray label and now it is 10% too but MB229.51 listed.

Approvals cost money so blenders use cheaper base stocks probably to keep current prices.

More and more examples like the above of Amsoil oils changes recently.

IIRC,someone made a post that NA (or USA) is going to switch to the low sulphur petrol /gasoline? If so this full SAPS oil will be short lived at least for the new car market.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
If so this full SAPS oil will be short lived at least for the new car market.

New car market would most likely not use this oil anyway due to lack of official mfg approvals.

I would use it in my 530i if Pablo could make it as price competitive as M1 0w-40.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: used_0il
Nobody is going to put Amsoil in a new car.

Sorry,I was under impression this oil meets all current full SAPS approvals for European engines sold in NA. If not then why choosing this over Castrol or M1?

Originally Posted By: chrisri
If not then why choosing this over Castrol or M1?

Because Amsoil provides their own engine warranty. For some people that's good enough.

Oh that's nice, but how can someone warrant 15 year old engine that was on mineral oil all of its service life up to the last oil change with Amsoil, and hypothetical failure afterwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back