Drain Plug stubborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaker, longer breaker, penetrating oil.
Impact maybe if the head is in good enough shape.

I've never had to go past that. It would be too much of a lost cause if the above aren't working. I'd be sourcing a new pan.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Try a torch but be sure there's no leaking fuel or let the engine get up to operating temp and then vice grip it off.
Have a new one ready

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not...lol

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
breaker bar to start with.
Ya or a longer wrench. I have never found a plug I cant get loose with regular hand tools.

Agreed.

Lots of complaining BITOG'ers most not eat their Wheaties in the morning?

Take a long wrench or 6 point socket on an old ratchet then give the tool a good hard whack with a dead blow hammer. Make sure your turning CCW, it will probably come right out.

Put a wrench on it and whack it with a hammer a few times. I have a 12v impact I keep around just in case of such events. Just a 30 dollar Kawasaki brand one I picked up online that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Had it save my life before when I had to change a flat and the wheel lugs were super stubborn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Taildragger
No oil change in 5 years???

My thoughts exactly. With this kind of OCI who needs a drain plug. Just weld a plate over the drain hole after this oil change. The motor probably will not last until the next 5 year change.

Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
When you get it off, put a new crush washer on and it'll make it easier next time.

How will a new crush washer do that? Over-tightened is over-tightened.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
When you get it off, put a new crush washer on and it'll make it easier next time.

How will a new crush washer do that? Over-tightened is over-tightened.

Yep. I think that over tightened must be one snug and then at least 3 touches too much.

Hi Mike, were you able to get the drain plug off and do an oil change, or are you just topping off your oil at this point?

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
Attach a ratchet to the drain plug. Grab sledgehammer and swing at the handle of the ratchet.

There is absolutely no reason to use a ratchet in this application. A ratchet with a sledgehammmer (FFS!) is just an awkward way of breaking a ratchet.

Use a breaker bar with a pipe as an extension lever. Electrical conduit pipe seems to be about right.If that doesn't work, pipe wrench might do it but might also chew it up.

Long time ago I removed the sump on a Lada, drilled the plug and used a square taper extractor on it, but maybe I didn't know about oil extracting pumps, maybe you couldn't get them then in the Yook, or maybe I was just being stubborn.

Don't think I actually did another oil change before the car was scrapped anyway.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Hi Mike, were you able to get the drain plug off and do an oil change, or are you just topping off your oil at this point?

I was not able to get the drain plug off. I do check the oil frequently and have added 1/8 quart since then. I make sure the oil level is at the full mark at all times.

Provided the drain plug is in acceptable shape- first eat your Wheaties.. Then get a quality wrench, put the box end on the plug. with your weak hand (usually left) put a little pressure on the wrench in the correct direction of rotation- this takes up any slack. Then, with an open hand (at the bottom, where the all the muscle is) hit that S.O.B. with everything you've got! Yeah, it'll hurt... unless you do it for a living- so suck it up buttercup. But it flat out works. NEVER have I been denied removing a drain plug- as long as the head is in decent shape- NOT ONCE. I am a mechanic, so I've seen a few drain plugs...

Well if you like beating up your hand so be it, but I'll go pull out a ½" drive breaker bar and let the tool do the work...

I did run up with a hellish tight plug on wife's cousin's car... Just has a 13mm head, piece of cake, grabbed a ¼" ratchet and socket, wouldn't budge, back to box got a 3/8", same results... Finally pulled out the big gun breaker bar and it came loose but still didn't give up without pulling with both hands... What was surprising was the threads on plug and pan were fine, could remove it with my fingers once broken loose...

But if you are a mechanic, I am sure you have the vehicle on the lift and you are not doing this lying back on the floor.

Things are a lot more difficult to do without the lift.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Just has a 13mm head, piece of cake, grabbed a ¼" ratchet and socket, wouldn't budge, back to box got a 3/8", same results...

Get one of these and use your own sockets. I keep one of these around just for oil changes, it doesn't have the feel of a nice handled ratchet but its tough and gets the job done.
HD had them under the Husky brand and Wally sold them but they seem to disappearing.
For what it is its a good tool.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NIK9XM?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Originally Posted By: Vikas
But if you are a mechanic, I am sure you have the vehicle on the lift and you are not doing this lying back on the floor.

Things are a lot more difficult to do without the lift.

Actually, no. The shop I worked at before going out on my own with my friend didn't have a lift for quite some time. I can't even begin to tell you how many I've done working under jacks and stands. As for now- again, no lift. We do all manner of repair, from small- like OPE, to large like 30K lb 4wd tractors and various towed implements. A lift would eat up way too much floor space. So when I change oil, it's done the old fashioned way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back