2015 Ford Fusion 1st oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm coming up on 5k miles and that's gonna be my OCI for this vehicle. I have about a 40 mile commute everyday with open road and short trips.

I started using PP in my wife's Kia recently and have been very pleased.

For my Fusion (1.5 EB) should I run PP for every 5k OCI?

Also Motorcraft filter? I've always used Wix.

PP at 5k would work well, but you could probably go longer with the longer drive you are doing each day...do these cars have an OLM?

Go to whatever the max interval is allowed in the manual.

Pennzoil Platinum is always a solid choice but I'd recommend a Fram Tough Guard for the 5k intervals. The 99% efficiency at 20 microns trumps the Wix which is 95% and the Motorcraft is less than that last I heard in the 93%? Range.

On my '13 Accord I go by the OLM and change with it hits 15%. Thats usually 9-10K, with PP or currently with M1 and Ultra filters. Would think the Ford equal to this.

Originally Posted By: clarkmc3
So I'm coming up on 5k miles and that's gonna be my OCI for this vehicle. I have about a 40 mile commute everyday with open road and short trips.

I started using PP in my wife's Kia recently and have been very pleased.

For my Fusion (1.5 EB) should I run PP for every 5k OCI?

Also Motorcraft filter? I've always used Wix.

What does "pleased" mean here? One can rarely tell how an oil is doing inside an engine. Other people make this kind of comment, and I simply don't know where one could get "being pleased" by an oil. If you had a UOA done, maybe that? What pleases you about this oil?

I do think you have picked a winning brand. Any SOPUS (Pennzoil-QuakerState-Shell) full synthetic oil has the engineering behind it. Go with da Fram Ultra oil filter, as I've never seen anything else with a dual layer synthetic fiber media in other choices that filters as well.

These cars spec a 7500 mile OCI. Why are you only running 5k?

Ford's own site on oil changes

I have a 2010 Fusion with a naturally-aspirated 2.5 liter, and I run my oil 7500 miles on a standard Motorcraft filter. Conventional or semi-synth too, not full synth.. so I'd expect you could at least go this far on PP.

.. a few more details:

My car just hit 199,300 miles, and I drive 40 miles each way to work, 80 round trip, 5 days a week, about 95% highway @ 70-75mph.

My car specs a Motorcraft FL910s, but I run an FL400s in it for the extra size (capacity). Use an MC filter with confidence.

I have always followed the "Severe" schedule in my owners manuals. This one calls for 5k-7,444k miles.

5w-20 required.

Also, have used PureOne filters in the past.

Last edited:
I just did the first oil change on my 2014 Fusion 2.5 when the oil change light went off at 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: dothedrew1202
if you want to run a 5k oci why not just run motorcraft? Or atleast run the PP until your olm hits div>

Relatively new design turbocharged, direct injection, Polish or Romanian-made engine with limited real world owner experience. I sure don't blame the OP for using a full synthetic and a conservative OCI. Get a bunch of these engines over 100k and then maybe...

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: dothedrew1202
if you want to run a 5k oci why not just run motorcraft? Or atleast run the PP until your olm hits div>

Relatively new design turbocharged, direct injection, Polish or Romanian-made engine with limited real world owner experience. I sure don't blame the OP for using a full synthetic and a conservative OCI. Get a bunch of these engines over 100k and then maybe...

This was my original thinking as well. I've never owned a turbo vehicle before this. I tend to be somewhat on the cautious side when it comes to servicing my vehicle.

Originally Posted By: wemay
5W-20 is spec'd for the EB 1.5?

It's 5w-30. I mistyped.

Last edited:
The 2.0 Ecoboost and 2.5 engine use 5.7 quarts but the 1.5 Ecoboost only uses 4.3 quarts. It also spec's 5w-20 which is common on the smaller EB engines.

Given the smaller capacity oil sump, the turbo, and possible fuel dilution...I'd keep it at 5k OCI's.

You might run a UOA and check on the viscosity after 5k. If it is shearing down or getting diluted with fuel you might step up to 5w-30.

Filter wise, there have been some tear issues with the Purolator made Motorcraft filters. I'd use a Wix/Napa Gold filters over Motorcraft OR look at the Fram Ultra and use them for 2 or 3 OCI's.

After I corrected to 5w-30 I started questioning myself. It is 5w-20. Had to go check my manual. Ha!

I never own a charge inducted engine, if I ever have one I would use stouter oil and reduce OCI by about 20-30%, especially if I do WOT often.

Synthetic oils that are on Honda HTO-06 is very good for turbo application, along with Fram Tough Guard oil filter will be able to do 5-6k miles OCI.

Originally Posted By: clarkmc3
Originally Posted By: wemay
5W-20 is spec'd for the EB 1.5?

It's 5w-30. I mistyped.

You may want to check your owner's manual: 5w/20 for the 1.5 EcoBoost, 5w/30 only for the 2.0 EcoBoost n

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back