new to changing lawn mower oil, help

Status
Not open for further replies.
That link didn't go to any specific mower, just the FAQ. Do you have the model number? It'll probably be on a label stuck somewhere on the unit.

I'll try to look it up. Is synthetic blend sae30 the best it gets as I saw they had synblend at oreillys. Do they have a full synthetic for sae 30? If so, by whom?

Also, on an unrelated side note, is kingsford brand charcoal and its lighter fluid worththe extra cost over store brand ones esp hthe fluid or is the cheaper store brand fluid good enough? Motorrcrsft now has 5w 30 Iin 5 quart jugs at walmart now! Will they begin selling 5w30 motorcraft elsewhere now?

Also, I heard from my tire place that goodyear integrity tires were being phased out by this fall. Is that true or no? Thanks.

Just get synthetic 5W-30 for small engines. Conventional 5W-30 sometimes has a problem with burning off, but synthetic 5W-30 is fine in the high heat of air cooled engines. Literally any brand of synthetic 5w-30 will work fine. I currently have Mobil Super Synthetic in my tractor because it was pretty cheap.

For charcoal, I can't recommend lump charcoal enough. I like it so much more than the little kingsford bricks. And get one of those charcoal lighting chimneys! It lights the charcoal on fire using a crumpled up newspaper with no lighter fluid. I only use lighter fluid when in a pinch now.

Originally Posted By: VetteElite
... get one of those charcoal lighting chimneys! It lights the charcoal on fire using a crumpled up newspaper with no lighter fluid. I only use lighter fluid when in a pinch now.

+1 on the chimney... never have to mess with fluid again.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
i lost the manual but it's a Toro 22 inch recycler,

what oil filter does it have or does it not have an oil filter?

Your mower does not have an oil filter. Very few Toro super recyclers ($650 premium mower) have an oil filter. Toro recyclers do not have oil filters.

Your engine is likely a Tecumseh if older, Briggs if a few years old, or Kohler if fairly new.

Went to weingsrtz for the first time this weekend, it was confirmed it didn't have an oil filter and a quart was more than enough for an oil change as it was a 20 ounce capacity. He said there's no drain plug. You pour it out then add, is that right?

I was in a rush and did it thru tipping it over and then filling it up. THe oil level was below the low mark (gasp!) and I sent it in for an oil analsyis. The oil was really bad. it was gray, and really dirty and thick in consistency and it was like liquid graphite! was that bad?

also, in other news, i had a minor accident today:

Thanks for the answer. Today, an accident happened. I had a 5 quart jug I used but there was some leftover oil at the bottom of the jug that was hard to get at or pour, so i poured it into a little powerbait trout fishing bait container. It had one piece of bait left (you can google it , powerbait trout bait if you're unsure of what it is, but it's small and sticky but not hard but perhaps dissolvable in water). I didn't think the piece would fall in the crankcase, but when I used the powerbait container (as an intermediate between the jug and my crankcase) on the taurus, the powerbait piece fell into the crainkcase! I tried to fish it out but it was impossible. Is this going to damage my engine or be bad for it or should my engine be able to handle it and would it go into the oil filter or would it clog anything? THanks.

This entire thread HAS TO BE A JOKE.

I was like.... using a swimming pool acid bottle to pour my oil into the mower. It's for above ground pools, really. And a sleeper sofa jumped into the oil sump. Mower seems fine. Are you sure I EVEN HAVE A FREAKING MOWER AT ALL? What is this keyboard doing in front of me? What are all you people doing reading my emails?

BTW I'm doing my first oil change EVER. Thought I would try it out on this poor neglected mower first. Wonder why our mowers don't last very long??? OMG

slomo

you can use 10w30 and multiviscocity oils in a lawn mower that should take SAE 30?

And does my model have a drain plug. I tipped it over but that didn't get all the old oil out and the old oil was in REALLY BAD SHAPE and they mixed and now the "new" oil is stained too, so should I do another oil change soon or no?

And is changing the oil to a snow blower similar? I have a gray larger one (unsure of the model as of now but I'll post it later). Do you tip it over or does it have a drain filter or an oil filter? Thanks.

And does my model have a drain plug. I tipped it over but that didn't get all the old oil out and the old oil was in REALLY BAD SHAPE and they mixed and now the "new" oil is stained too, so should I do another oil change soon or no?

You can use a colorimeter to determine how stained it is, a scanning spectrophotometer is better but more expensive. That can help to determine if you need to change it out sooner or later.

And is changing the oil to a snow blower similar? Do you tip it over or does it have a drain filter or an oil filter? Thanks.

It has a drain filter but you need a drain filter wrench. Those are available online or at Walmart. Make sure you get the right size.

This guy has got to be trolling. 350 posts on Bob is the Oil Guy and this thread happens? No way. And he's an engineer? Gentlemen, we are being trolled here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back