2014 Tacoma 4.0L - PYB 5w30 - 25,000mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
A lot of Toyota UOAs show 1 ppm iron per 1,000 miles, this one is more.... hmmmmm..... just sayin, hate to rain on the parade here.

Not according to the UA for this engine.

^ THIS.

PHM 5w30 might be more shear stable.

What oil did you have in there previous to this?

For warranty purposes, shouldnt a 0w20 have been used? I know they allow you to go up a grade if you plan on towing, but I just assumed you had to stick with synthetic.

Originally Posted By: VR6
I'm getting about 20.5 mpg in mixed city/highway. I live at high altitude and continue to use the 87 mid-grade vs the 85 regular. I noticed quite a bit more pinging on a couple tankfuls of 85.
Thank you !!!

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
For warranty purposes, shouldnt a 0w20 have been used? I know they allow you to go up a grade if you plan on towing, but I just assumed you had to stick with synthetic.

dlundblad, the factory recommended oil for the 4.0L is a 5w30 conventional meeting API SN. The 2.7L four cyl requires the 0w20 syn.

The Tacoma and the 4Runner must have different specs. My mom has a 2015 4Runner TRD Pro with the same engine that calls for 0w20. I assume it needs to remain on a synthetic diet while under warranty?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The Tacoma and the 4Runner must have different specs. My mom has a 2015 4Runner TRD Pro with the same engine that calls for 0w20. I assume it needs to remain on a synthetic diet while under warranty?

The 4Runner has the GRN280 variant of this engine with dual VVT. The Tacoma uses the single VVT engine. The DVVT engine specs the 0w20 syn. And yes... I would recommend following the OEM specified oil type and weight for any vehicle still under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back