Drain Plug stubborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I was trying to change the oil in my 2001 Grand Am GT and its impossible to get the drain plug out. I havent changed the oil in 5 years, has this anything to do with it? Would I be ok just changing the oil filter only? Any suggestions?

Try a torch but be sure there's no leaking fuel or let the engine get up to operating temp and then vice grip it off.
Have a new one ready

Do you have a breaker bar that you can use for some leverage along with the proper size socket?

If that fails, i have used big vice grips to get them off before, but I had to run to the parts store to get a replacement drain plug as the teeth of the vice grips really need to dig in if it's frozen bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Try a torch but be sure there's no leaking fuel or let the engine get up to operating temp and then vice grip it off.
Have a new one ready
Have an extinguisher handy too.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Have a new one ready
Have an extinguisher handy too.

no smoking in the shop! LOL

Only if the bolt is stripped and what the other guys suggested fails, if you're very careful, cut a slot in the bolt head with a cutting wheel and then tap the edge with a chisel or even better yet a pneumatic chisel.

I like the extraction pump idea if the plug doesn't come out fairly easy by the above methods. Skip the torch idea as too dangerous in MO. Ed

the extraction pump works good, i bought one of those cheapie ones from walmart(orange in color) for about $8 and i have used it many many times to get most of the tranny fluid out of the pan when doing transmission fluid and filter changes on vehicles with no drain plug on the pans(most)!

Thank you for the replies. I will have to try a breaker bar, if I can get one. I used the same wrench when I tightened the plug during the last oil change but that was 5 years ago. I think maybe I put it on to tight last time. I am just afraid of the bolt being stripped off in the oil pan if I try to hard. Is that even possible?

Extraction pump, if it will go down the dipstick tube.

Breaker bar, or just whack the wrench with a hammer. Same idea as an impact wrench. Which is probably better idea, bit I assume if you had one you would have used it already.

Pipe wrench broke the one free on our old Chevy Venture. No idea why the dealership cranked it in like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back