Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 1500
Engine: 5.3L V8 Ecotec3 (L83)
OCI: 7,242 miles
OLM: 5%
Oil: Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20
Filter: Fram Ultra XG10575
Make up oil: none
Driving conditions: 80/20 (Highway/City) with some light trailering (maybe 500 miles)

First time using EP version of M1 0W-20. Doesn't really look much different the AFE version. I bought few 5 qt containers of EP when it was priced the same as AFE so I'll be running it for the next couple oil changes. Glad to see my iron went down from last sample. Not sure why it went up to begin with.

UOA_7-1-15_zpsix3p4hel.jpg

Thank you for posting your XW20 results.
Now I know what I have been missing, and
will stick with XW40 in the 5.3 2013 and
future GM vehicles.

For only 7k miles on a broken-in engine, those results are not great at all.

Can't prove it, but I don't doubt that engine would show less wear with a thicker oil, but GM has spec'd a 20-weight, so that is what it should get.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
For only 7k miles on a broken-in engine, those results are not great at all.

Can't prove it, but I don't doubt that engine would show less wear with a thicker oil, but GM has spec'd a 20-weight, so that is what it should get.

As we know GM engines often show higher iron and copper than other makes of engines, but has nothing to do with decreasing the engine life. Also notice that this OCI is at least as good as the Univ average shown at the right of the report. Actually, this is a very good report for this type of engine, with Vis and Flash point holding very well. Could run 10K without a problem.

Absolutely.
GM has specified a XW20 so that is what it should get.

I would never recommend anything other than the manufacture, who designed, tested and warranties their vehicles.

What's interesting to me is that the EP numbers don't differ from the AFE numbers, but this chart indicates that they ought to: https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.ashx

robert

Great. I'm running this in my hemi. So far so good with just over 6k on this oci.

Not gonna do a uoa but it seems to be real tough .

Thank you for posting, I'm also glad to see the Iron go back down. Very solid report in my opinion.

It is interesting that the EP appears so similar as the AFE

looks like a lot of iron and copper at 41k miles but maybe this is normal for your specific motor? You should get a TBN next time to see how much additive life is left.

Looks good. No oxidation and wear is fine. It's a GM engine, enough said. Highly doubt any other oil would look any different.

If you've seen one GM LS V8 UOA, you've seen them all. I'm with Buster. Wear looks fine. No need to recheck TBN/TAN. The run at 26K showed plenty of life at this interval.

2 things I'm happy about. Being this is GM's first attempt at a DI V8, the FP looks great and no trace of fuel which is astounding. Second, being they are down to 20W oils, the viscosity held fine and wear looks normal/consistent with every other previous generation LS motor.

I'd follow SteveSRT8's recipe for GM motors. Cheapest synthetic Dexos 0W-20 for the life of the OLM and enjoy it for the next 300-500K.

Very nice, everything looks great. The previous higher iron run is coming off a North Dakota winter, so that makes sense. Thanks for the post.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
Great. I'm running this in my hemi. So far so good with just over 6k on this oci.

Not gonna do a uoa but it seems to be real tough .

Is it noisy?

How is changing oil on the Ram? Does the 14 require covering the steering box or pump or whatever to avoid a mess or is that different years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back