Should new cars burn oil? C-R report

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) The Chevy Spark has 70 HP/L, which isn't outside any norm for a naturally aspirated engine.

2) Same.

3) The manufacturers establish which oils should be used, same in "Murrica" as in the enlightened Europe.

4) Varies by manufacturer.

Don't forget, in the future you can look these things up.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
CR just stirring the pot to gin up some publicity if they can make a stink, as usual.

I more than loathe that organization...

I mostly agree but if this is true I'd be [censored] as well...

Quote:
Consumer Reports found that some engines — mainly from Audi, BMW and Subaru — require an extra quart as often as once a month.

Once a month is not a quart in a 10K mi OCI(as other posters suggested)...

Originally Posted By: TFB1

Quote:
Consumer Reports found that some engines — mainly from Audi, BMW and Subaru — require an extra quart as often as once a month.

Once a month is not a quart in a 10K mi OCI(as other posters suggested)...

OK, but how many are in the "quart per month" vs. the "quart during one OCI" category? The table they put together makes no distinction.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Completely false assertions about how forged pistons equal oil loss!

Completely? You don't think 2.5 vs 6 thousands is going to make any difference on oil consumption?

I guess I have to teach again. Search "oil consumption forged pistons".

The first time I rebuilt the vette, it consumed more oil than before the rebuild because of the forged pistons. Yea I probably could have had them run tighter side clearance, but then you run the risk of scuffed or seized pistons the first time you get the engine really hot.

My concern is all the public hoopla over oil consumption may be leading to an inferior product. A case where the consumer is driving things in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Completely? You don't think 2.5 vs 6 thousands is going to make any difference on oil consumption?

No I don't think it will matter very much. The ring package is what keeps the oil out of the combustion chamber, not how tightly the skirt fits the cylinder wall. And once forged pistons are hot, the final clearance is about the same as final clearance with cast pistons, or even hypereutectics. Its just that cast (and especially (hypereutectic) pistons can be fitted so that they start out tighter in the bore when cold.

Low-tension ring packages for high performance engines definitely will increase oil consumption.

And yes, I totally agree that consumer hoopla can drive things in the wrong direction. Just like piston slap- its a byproduct of highly efficient piston designs, but manufacturers had to back off some of that efficiency because of complaints about an unfamiliar sound.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
1) The Chevy Spark has 70 HP/L, which isn't outside any norm for a naturally aspirated engine.

Don't forget, in the future you can look these things up.

And don`t forget that all oil "guzzlers" have TFSI engines and HP/Liter ratio around 100HP/Liter....

Something that doesn`t exist in Murrica....unless if it is imported :p

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
And don`t forget that all oil "guzzlers" have TFSI engines and HP/Liter ratio around 100HP/Liter....

Really?

GM has a 2.0T engine that makes 136HP/liter.
Ford has a 2.3T engine that makes 135HP/liter.

Just to name a few.

Like the Ford Ecoboost family of engines?

Or the GM Ecotech family of engines?

And while not American in country of origin, I don't see any GDI Hyundais or Kias on the list, including the high output turbo models.

Ford: 1.0L - 100+ HP/L
1.6L - 100+ HP/L
2.0L - 100+ HP/L
2.3L - 100+ HP/L
2.7L - 100+ HP/L
3.5L - 100+ HP/L

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

Really?

GM has a 2.0T engine that makes 136HP/liter.
Ford has a 2.3T engine that makes 135HP/liter.

Just to name a few.

The new thing these days seems to be throw out silly statements, get refuted, and then hide.

Not surprised. The German makes are designed to run on the autobahn. US models are probably leased grocery getters for a majority of owners so they're not being driven enough at high enough speeds.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Not surprised. The German makes are designed to run on the autobahn. US models are probably leased grocery getters for a majority of owners so they're not being driven enough at high enough speeds.

GM had that exact issue with the Northstar V8's they put into Cadillacs. A high-revving V8 that needed the revs to avoid issues put into cars gently driven to church on Sunday. All manner of oil burning and clogged intakes from improper break-in and continual short-tripping at low revs.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

No I don't think it will matter very much. The ring package is what keeps the oil out of the combustion chamber, not how tightly the skirt fits the cylinder wall. And once forged pistons are hot, the final clearance is about the same as final clearance with cast pistons, or even hypereutectics. Its just that cast (and especially (hypereutectic) pistons can be fitted so that they start out tighter in the bore when cold.

Low-tension ring packages for high performance engines definitely will increase oil consumption.

You should study it more. The piston fit at nominal operating temp for forged is going to be looser because they have to incorporate margin in the case of overheat. An overheated forged is going to be larger than an overheated cast. The pistons are tapered so you have even more clearance at the ring. Its harder for the ring to seal up a bigger clearance.

Low tension stuff is just used in drag racing, not on passenger cars, so I dont think that's it.

Low tension stuff is just used in drag racing, not on passenger cars, so I dont think that's it.

turtlevette, the last 20 years is sending you a wake-up call.

They have been using low tension rings for fuel economy for decades...you can study that stuff you know.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

GM had that exact issue with the Northstar V8's they put into Cadillacs. A high-revving V8 that needed the revs to avoid issues put into cars gently driven to church on Sunday. All manner of oil burning and clogged intakes from improper break-in and continual short-tripping at low revs.

Yep and this list per CR is mostly full of V8's with a few 6 cylinders. My stepfather had one of the first Northstar Caddies (late 80's) when I was in high school and he regularly ran that car in the high 70 mph range when on the hwy. Never an issue.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

turtlevette, the last 20 years is sending you a wake-up call.

They have been using low tension rings for fuel economy for decades...you can study that stuff you know.

Agreed Ford went to low tension rings in the 5.0 along with roller lifters in the mid '80s... Engines I've pulled apart that had reasonable care have had no more than .0005-.001 wear at 150K miles(a couple had immeasurable wear), all those still showed the original crosshatch hone patterns...

Time to scour the Net for more details.

Once again the book smarts are short on details. You missed this one bad. Please stop "teaching"...

Last edited:

Once again the book smarts are short on details. You missed this one bad. Please stop "teaching"...

Best write down the date and time. It won't happen much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back