Need input on home made bypass system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whelp that does it for me. Not like I am going to have a ton of flow on a four banger anyway. Transdapt with either a Fram ultra or a Cummins filter and a BP filter. Will post pictures as soon as I get it all and put it all together. Will take a few weeks.

Thanks for all the help and insight everyone!

Here's my latest UOA at 28,000+ miles on the oil in the second column. Note: I have to add oil roughly .5 qt per 1000 miles. A Donaldson fuel is used as the bypass filter. See earlier post. I don't keep records on the amount of oil I add. I started with Supertech conventional and later added Mobile One and Pennzoil synthetic.

Code:

DATE SAMPLED 10-Apr-14 14-Jun-15

DATE RECEIVED 02-May-14 14-Jun-15

DATE REPORTED 05-May-14 30-Jun-15

TIME ON UNIT 216762 245194

TIME ON OIL 8571 28432

OIL BRAND SuperTech SuperTech/Mobile 1/Pennzoil

OIL TYPE Conventional Conventional/Synthetic

OIL GRADE 5W30 5W30

OIL ADDED .5 quart per 1000 miles

Metals (ppm)

Iron (Fe) 7 17

Chromium (Cr)
Lead (Pb)
Copper (Cu) 1 2

Tin (Sn)
Aluminium (Al) 2 4

Nickel (Ni)
Silver (Ag)
Titanium (Ti)
Vanadium (V)

Contaminants (ppm)

Silicon (Si) 6 6

Sodium (Na) 11 26

Potassium (K)

Additives (ppm)

Magnesium (Mg)
Calcium (Ca) 2284 1745

Barium (Ba)
Phosphorus (P) 742 587

Zinc (Zn) 841 704

Molybdenum (Mo) 2 39

Boron (B) 66 20

Contaminants

Water (%)
Coolant No no

Physical Tests

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 9.8 10.8

Physical / Chemical

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 3.2 3.5

So.. what oil are you using in the 28,000 mile run? I would NOT be running Supertech oil in a bypass, that's goofy. .5 qt in 1000 miles is alot of consumption... does it take a few thousand miles before it starts consuming, or does it occur right after the oil is new?

Originally Posted By: zpinch
So.. what oil are you using in the 28,000 mile run? I would NOT be running Supertech oil in a bypass, that's goofy. .5 qt in 1000 miles is alot of consumption... does it take a few thousand miles before it starts consuming, or does it occur right after the oil is new?

Goofy?

Sure looks like it's working just fine to me. Makes Amsoil look like a total rip off actually.
This guy runs supertech for over 20000 miles with some top off. Why bother wasting money on a boutique oil that may or may not perform better in his application

I say keep using supertech. Why spend big bucks on by-pass filtration just to spend big bucks on oil. Why not save a few bucks on the oil,since it's obviously able to handle it and let the filters do what they do.
Amsoil today is no better than any off the shelf name brand. They just aren't.
My fleet used to run Amsoil exclusively for a decade. Engines. We're spotless and ran great. I now use on sale syns and engines are spotless and run great. Spending double on oil isn't going to get my engines any cleaner or running any greater.
I used to drink the Amsoil cool aid,today I drink the keep my money in my pocket cool aid. My engines aren't running any worse,dying any sooner,and running any dirtier so in my experience with a fleet of 15 Amsoil costs more for no gain.

So I started with SuperTec, probably the first 10K. Then I had some Mobile One laying around so I used that. Then I read about Penzoil being made out of natural gas. I wanted to try that. On the current oil change I'm using Mobile One.

I bought the car used and it used oil from the day I bought it. I've put about 105K miles on the car. I've read many places that engine manufactures consider 1 quart per 1000 miles as acceptable. It not worth it to me to spend any money trying to "fix" the oil use. In this specific car, all I care about is that it's dependable and safe.

I don't think using SuperTech in a bypass is goofy. If you understand that oil doesn't go bad you would agree with me. Oil just gets contaminated and loses the ability to neutralize acids as the additives are used up. In my system the bypass filter keeps the contamination low and the ability to neutral acids is replenished when I add oil on a weekly basis. Thus the limiting factor in my system is the bypass filter losing its ability to filter the oil. If I wasn't adding oil, I'd agree with you.

What's goofy to me is guys using full synthetic and doing oil changes every 3000 to 5000 miles plus doing a UOA. That's goofy. In the only study I've been able to find, the conclusion was conventional oil was good to about 10,000 miles. In the study, 10,000 miles was about when the TBN equaled the TAN which they defined as the oil being "bad".

Tef, Are you changing the full flow as required?

Toilet paper bypass filters were used without synthetics and without UOA...and those engines lasted

1qt oil consumption in 2k miles is nothing to worry about. Try a thicker grade as a top off.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: zpinch

Goofy?

Sure looks like it's working just fine to me. Makes Amsoil look like a total rip off actually.
This guy runs supertech for over 20000 miles with some top off. Why bother wasting money on a boutique oil that may or may not perform better in his application

I say keep using supertech. Why spend big bucks on by-pass filtration just to spend big bucks on oil. Why not save a few bucks on the oil,since it's obviously able to handle it and let the filters do what they do.
Amsoil today is no better than any off the shelf name brand. They just aren't.
My fleet used to run Amsoil exclusively for a decade. Engines. We're spotless and ran great. I now use on sale syns and engines are spotless and run great. Spending double on oil isn't going to get my engines any cleaner or running any greater.
I used to drink the Amsoil cool aid,today I drink the keep my money in my pocket cool aid. My engines aren't running any worse,dying any sooner,and running any dirtier so in my experience with a fleet of 15 Amsoil costs more for no gain.

Do you run Supertech oil? Didn't think so...

Why does Amsoil always cost twice as much to you over other off the shelf full synthetic oils such as Mobil 1 EP? It doesn't.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Tef, Are you changing the full flow as required?

Nope. Changed both the full flow and bypass the same time I changed the oil.

I see nothing wrong with running ST oils.

I've run several UOAs with ST lubes and they have done every bit as well as the big brand names. In fact, I ran two back-to-back OCIs at 10k and 15k miles each, with dino ST lube, using "normal" filters, and the UOAs came back perfectly fine.

If you want to dis the ST lubes, then please provide a basis (other than simple opinions) which would support your position. VOAs show the ST lubes to be reasonably constructed, and UOAs show they perform just as well, even under extreme OCIs. So, what's wrong with ST lubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back