Alignment issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed my outer tie rod to ONLY the front left axle. Now it veers to the right ever so slightly. I need to adjust the alignment, maybe a turn or two of the tie rod. Since the car veers to the right slightly, do I need to move the front left wheel inwards or outwards? Thanks in advance. I don't want to spend 60 for alignment.

You want to shorten the left front tie rod if it's behind the ball joint and lengthen it if it's in front, however that happens. I would put a laser level on the tire when the steering wheel is straight, and aim it at the rear tire. This will 1) get you very, very close and 2) help you see if you're turning the rod end the correct way-- it's real easy to get mixed up/ backwards.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Spend the money for a professional alignment.
This.

You're going to end up needing new tires at a cost of much greater than $60 if you don't get this professionally taken care of.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
You're going to end up needing new tires at a cost of much greater than $60 if you don't get this professionally taken care of.
Yup, always worth it for an alignment. I just did the outer the rods on my car a couple weeks ago and it was worth every penny for the alignment, although I got it pretty close.

From a lifelong backyard mechanic ...if you know what you're doing a backyard alignment with rudimentary tools/contraptions can be every bit as good as a pro alignment. but In either case after it is done and vehicle is driven regularly. every now and then run your hand across your tire treads for and aft and side to side. you can feel the tread blocks and if there are hard edges one way and rounded edges the other way that will indicate subtle alignment errors. After that you can tweak an alignment to the point that all edges are same and your tires will seem to last forever. Only car I ever had aligned at a shop was the wife's G8 after replacing suspension components.

You replaced a part that impacts the front end alignment and can lead to excessive tire wear. The result is your car now veers to the right.

Do you really think it's a good idea to try and fix this yourself? The other three wheels could be out of alignment for all you know.

Car drove perfectly before, and when I say it goes to the right, it's very very slight. In fact so slight that most people wouldn't even bother to get an alignment. I'm just gonna do what eljefino said. When I say it's literally one or two rotations of the tie rod, that's it. The front right and both rears have never been touched. Like I said car drove perfectly before I changed the outer tie rod. I counted how many turns when I took it off, and turned it that many times when I put the new Moog one in. It's gotta be only a turn or two off. But if I can't get it right, I guess I'll get it professionally done. Thanks for the help though guys. BITOG is always so helpful and informing.

You're supposed to count the threads going into the adjuster sleeve BEFORE pulling the outer tie rod off. If you had done that, you could've gone a little while without an alignment. As it is now, you're gonna have to take a measuring tape center-to-center to the front of the tires and compare that measurement to the center-to-center distance across the back of the tires. If the two measurements are with in an inch of each other, your toe is probably close enough to drive with for awhile.

Just an FYI, front (steering) tie-rods can only cause toe in/toe out changes to the alignment.

This means that if incorrectly installed, the pair of front tires act as a set, either toe-in or toe-out. And won't cause a pull. That's most likely to be tire pressure, or caster/camber adjustments.

AND, it's possible to have the steering wheel centered with either condition.

Often, steering wheel centering is done by adjusting both tie rods at the same time, once alignment is correct.

Note: Toe out can cause a car or vehicle to be "darty" and wander left/right, being difficult to drive straight at speed. Sometimes it's worse under heavy braking from high speeds. Remember that both front tires act as a pair. One is not aiming to the right and the other straight.

Example: your RF tie rod is too long due to installation error. The tires are now toe out while driving. And, your steering wheel is now slightly turned to the left.

Last edited:
2 turns of the tierod to bring the wheel in, and now it's perfect.hopefully it holds up for a while. I'll rub my hands over the tires periodically to make sure it has even where. I appreciate the advice guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back