Mann W917 cut open 10,110 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut open another Mann W917. This one ran for 10,110 miles. Rubbers are soft and pliable and my impression is that the media has quite a bit of life left. What do you guys think?

u21qw0ql.jpg

VpMEMMNl.jpg

7SFF7OAl.jpg

Larger images in the imgur gallery (click).

If the ADBV is put on the bottom metal end cap, and the baseplate put on, is there a space for the ADBV to open? In other words, assembled as it works in use. Or must the ADBV push the cartridge up to open? There doesn't look like much "collar" or protrusion on the end cap to hold the ADBV at a distance from the baseplate. The media looks like it collected some black stuff, but to me I must say it looks sort of hard and thin?

The anti-drain flap does have room to move without displacement of the end cap. My photos don't show it well but there's quite a standoff in the baseplate side end cap, which the anti-drain flap rides in.

The media wasn't exactly soft but it wasn't brittle. It's definitely thicker than, say 20# bond (or 75g/m^2 if you're metric) paper. I manipulated it a lot cutting it out and positioning it for the photos. It didn't tear while doing so. The media has some ripples in the area between the pleats, I assume just like sheetmetal this makes it a little stronger.

The only basis for comparison I have is the media from this neglected filter. The can from this one had some dirt in it too. This one was definitely used beyond the end of its lifetime, it looks like it's fully loaded.

Last edited:
After looking at a couple of other filters with less accumulation of dirt in the media there is probably less 'life' left in this one than I first thought. I am changing my conclusion to: I changed this filter at about the right time.

That's the type of Mann oil filter I wish we could get here , instead of the purolator made clones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
That's the type of Mann oil filter I wish we could get here , instead of the purolator made clones.

+1

Originally Posted By: Bud_One

W917 is sold worldwide (I bought all mine in the USA.)

There are some nice ones available:

Instead of ML1003 (L10241), try W712/80 (5.34 at rockauto)
Instead of ML1005 (L20195), try W719/12 (4.01 at rockauto)

I am also looking at Mahles to fit on this toyota application
smile.gif
(the W917 in my photos were all used on Volvo.)

Last edited:
Amazes me oil can flow through media that's so tightly packed. Same goes for some Motorcraft and AC Delco models. Makes a Microgard look substandard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back