York PA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,
I am going to an event south of York, PA.
So I thought I would make it a vac with the 2 girls and Grandma.

We went there once before for a quick night and trip to Hershey.
I see the Susquehanna River is close.
So, what are some must do/see, any bike trails, how safe is the river front

I grew up there and honestly there's not a ton to do. You can tour the Harley plant, York barbell, there are a few parks (Pinchot/Lake Redman/Rocky Ridge), you can go to Strand Capitol theater, Hershey park, Gettysburg, Lancaster, or see a York Revolution baseball game.

Touring the Harley Davidson factory is free and really interesting. Although they have tours weekdays, try not to go on Fridays because they don't have much happening on the factory floor Fridays. Sometimes we have to wait an hour or so for the tour depending on that day's turnout, but they have a showroom and sample products from points along the assembly line on display in the waiting area plus a large gift shop. There is an age restriction to go on the factory tour so depending on the ages of your kids this might be a bust. Also be aware "open" shoes are not allowed on the factory floor.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
You won't be too far from http://www.roughandtumble.org/ altough you'd have to be in the area when they have one of their events. It looks like a John Deere Days is in July and the Thresherman's Reunion is in August, that's their big shin dig.

Good stuff, deere days are after my trip days :-(

York is right up the road from me, and like whats been said there's not much to do unless you like bar hopping. There is the Gettysburg battlefield right off 15 that's pretty neat if you're into history. Hershey is a hit or miss, but it would be something for the kids to do. If your into hiking Caldonia is on Rt 30, theres a shortcut to Mont Alto from there that is a real pretty drive if that's your thing. It's too bad it isn't winter, Whitetail Ski Resort is practically in my back yard, and only about 1.5hrs from York. Flying Dog Brewery is in Fredrick, MD and I know they do tours. It is also a short drive down 15.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Go visit the Troegs Brewery for tour and more if you'd like!

the 5 year old is not into ale yet, maybe if they have ale popsicles... ;-)

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Go visit the Troegs Brewery for tour and more if you'd like!

the 5 year old is not into ale yet, maybe if they have ale popsicles... ;-)

Well they also have a decent restaurant on premises and it has a children's menu.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Delta
York is right up the road from me, and like whats been said there's not much to do unless you like bar hopping. There is the Gettysburg battlefield right off 15 that's pretty neat if you're into history. Hershey is a hit or miss, but it would be something for the kids to do. If your into hiking Caldonia is on Rt 30, theres a shortcut to Mont Alto from there that is a real pretty drive if that's your thing. It's too bad it isn't winter, Whitetail Ski Resort is practically in my back yard, and only about 1.5hrs from York. Flying Dog Brewery is in Fredrick, MD and I know they do tours. It is also a short drive down 15.

That sounds like fun, we will pack a picnic and do the drive.

Any suggestions on where the girls could cast a few for some pan fish?
FYI we are going next week.

Originally Posted By: glock19
I grew up there and honestly there's not a ton to do. You can tour the Harley plant, York barbell, there are a few parks (Pinchot/Lake Redman/Rocky Ridge), you can go to Strand Capitol theater, Hershey park, Gettysburg, Lancaster, or see a York Revolution baseball game.

glock,
my 5 year old is the limiting factor, she won't do well in as she puts it "boring" adult stuff :)
Lake redman looks good for some water activity. they have boat rentals, yeaaah.

Cowans Gap State Park is in Fort Loudin, which is about an hour and a half from central York. You can picnic, swim, and I've seen several people catch fish. I'm sure the kids would love it and you have a great view of the mountain. Might like it even more than Caldonia since the kids can swim.

As far as the scenic road around Caldonia to Mont Alto, you'll come to an intersection on Route 30. Going West to the left will be Rocky Mountain Road (AKA 233), to the right is Pine Grove Road. You want to take Rocky Mountain, after several miles you will dead head, stay on 233. Keep that road till you get to Mont Alto, then you will hit 997 (take right), which will take you right back to Route 30. It's no Tail of the Dragon, but it's a nice drive. It's about 20-25 min way through there.

If you need more info, just PM me.

Cowans Gap State Park is in Fort Loudin, which is about an hour and a half from central York. You can picnic, swim, and I've seen several people catch fish. I'm sure the kids would love it and you have a great view of the mountain. Might like it even more than Caldonia since the kids can swim.

As far as the scenic road around Caldonia to Mont Alto, you'll come to an intersection on Route 30. Going West to the left will be Rocky Mountain Road (AKA 233), to the right is Pine Grove Road. You want to take Rocky Mountain, after several miles you will dead head, stay on 233. Keep that road till you get to Mont Alto, then you will hit 997 (take right), which will take you right back to Route 30. It's no Tail of the Dragon, but it's a nice drive. It's about 20-25 min way through there.

If you need more info, just PM me.

Delta,
I found the drive you mentioned, that area is just north of Hagerstown,
fishing is out, pa youth regs are bit too complicated for this trip. we will just drive home a 1 day early and fish in MI ;-)

Delta,
I found the drive you mentioned, that area is just north of Hagerstown,
fishing is out, pa youth regs are bit too complicated for this trip. we will just drive home a 1 day early and fish in MI ;-)

Yup, just up the road from me. Fact, I live less than a mile from the MD line.

I forgot about the fishing regulations around here, I haven't even got around to getting my fishing license yet, and summers getting to be in full swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back