Oil recomendation for 2010 Volkswagen Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys gave me great advice previous hope I could get some help this time also.

The car in question is a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta with 60k miles on it with 2.5 liter gas engine Approved VW Motor Oil Quality 502.00 is recommended.

The car has been owned by us and has had no engine issues at all oil/engine services done on time.

This car is going up to Omaha Nebraska with my wife so it will be in a colder area.

The car is driven easily it will be driven highway about 20 miles each way to and from work.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

*edit because I am a moron*

Last edited:
M1 0W40 or Castrol Edge 0W40 or Valvoline 0W40 ... whichever is cheaper.

Last month I bought 2 M1 0W40 5-qt jugs at Walmart for $22.xx/jug, with $10 rebate from Mobil the final cost was $12.xx/jug, hard to beat for 1 of the best Euro oil.

Are you sticking to the factory 10K OCI? If so, you should also stick to the VW 502.00 approved oil. The M1 0w-40 mentioned previously is an easy choice given its price and availability.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
10W40 Pet-Can Duron E is what I would use.

Car will operate in the USA, in a colder climate - like really cold in the winter and you recommend 10W-40 PetroCan Canadian product?

So wrong in so many ways ..

Like really???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
M1 0W40 or Castrol Edge 0W40 or Valvoline 0W40 ... whichever is cheaper.

Where are you finding Valvoline 0w-40? I know it exists, I just have not seen it anywhere around me yet.

Volkswagen recommends a 5W-40 oil for than particular engine. If 5W-40 is not available, 5W-30 may be used.

Mobil 1 makes a 0W-40 that should fit the bill.

So 502.00 is "recommended"?

If it's required, then I would pay little attention to grade and more to an oil that meets the requirement.

Danno;
I don't remember recommending anything.
I just stated the oil that I would use.

Besides, any 10W40 full synthetic in NB
should be fine and dandy, good to -25C.

In Northern Ontario, 0W40 would be a no-brainer.

Besides, any 10W40 full synthetic in NB
should be fine and dandy, good to -25C.

Just FYI, but 10w-40 synthetics are pretty hard to find in the US. There is M1 HM 10w-40, but I really don't see why the OP would want to run it if he can get M1 0w-40 that actually meets the required mfg approval for same price or less.

As a blanket statement I recommend the engine oils that meet the warranty
requirements listed in the owners manual of all new vehicles.

More often than not I ignore the owners manual and do my own thing.

That is what makes me happy.

Where are all these engine oil related warranty issues that everyone talks about?

Where are all these engine oil related warranty issues that everyone talks about?

Who said anything about warranty issues? The OP's car is out of warranty.

But if you can get an mfg approved lubricant for the same price or less as most other synthetics, why not do it?

Hang on, I know the politically correct thing to do is to say just stick with a 502.00 oil, and indeed M1 0w-40 is great in this application, bitog is for actually THINKING about what will work well in an engine. Lubrizol has helped us, and they know a thing or two. They have looked over the specs and determined that dexos1 oils exceed most 502.00 specs, period. That means if you use a M1 0w-30 in cold Nebraska, its performance will be more than adequate, and you'll get better cold starts. Proof is:
JvMA3Tz.jpg

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Hang on, I know the politically correct thing to do is to say just stick with a 502.00 oil, and indeed M1 0w-40 is great in this application, bitog is for actually THINKING about what will work well in an engine. Lubrizol has helped us, and they know a thing or two. They have looked over the specs and determined that dexos1 oils exceed most 502.00 specs, period.

First, you've picked a very old version of the 502.00 spec. The current version is more impressive.

Second, M1 0w-40 recommended in this thread meets MB 229.5 spec which exceeds dexos 1 in all categories apart from fuel economy and aftertreatment compatibility which is irrelevant to OP's application.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Hang on, I know the politically correct thing to do is to say just stick with a 502.00 oil, and indeed M1 0w-40 is great in this application, bitog is for actually THINKING about what will work well in an engine. Lubrizol has helped us, and they know a thing or two. They have looked over the specs and determined that dexos1 oils exceed most 502.00 specs, period.

First, you've picked a very old version of the 502.00 spec. The current version is more impressive.

Second, M1 0w-40 recommended in this thread meets MB 229.5 spec which exceeds dexos 1 in all categories apart from fuel economy and aftertreatment compatibility which is irrelevant to OP's application.

You are right, I did accidentally pick the older 502.00 (why couldn't they just change the number when they updated it in 2005 like normal companies do????). Below is the new one, and it is very close to the minimum dexos1 requirements, and the soot requirement is mainly for diesels, although direct injected gassers might benefit too. Still, the point is, an oil like dexos1-qualified Mobil1 0w-30 synthetic will exceed the dexos1 envelope anyway, and can, and probably should, be used in a cold climate like NE.
fbOePQC.jpg

As for picking M1 0w-40, thats a tough one, since it does tend to be a little thick for cold climates, although not too bad there. If the vehicle calls for 502.00, Lubrizol is saying a good oil that exceeds dexos1 is right there, and not many can deny M1 0w-30 is decent.

Pet-Can 10W40 E meets the pumping requirement for 5W.
That means, if the car will start at -35C
the oil will pump.
The pour point looks OK too, if that means anything besides
what those test tube videos imply.

Take that old Lubrizol chart and boost the soot handling capability
to CJ-4, or click on the Lubrizol link at the top of your screen.

I didn't pick 10W40 Duron E out of my.....back pocket.

Now tell me, what is not to like about it, or it's European cousin
that is not available in North America?

Still, the point is, an oil like dexos1-qualified Mobil1 0w-30 synthetic will exceed the dexos1 envelope anyway, and can, and probably should, be used in a cold climate like NE.

One of the underlying requirements of the VW 502.00 spec is HT/HS viscosity of at least 3.5 cP. M1 0w-30 has HT/HS viscosity much lower than that. Dexos1 only requires HT/HS of 2.9 cP.

Of course the question is, does this relatively low key VW 2.5 engine require such HT/HS viscosity? Honestly, I don't know. I did not design it. And since I'm not an engine engineer, I will just rely on VW in this area. But that's just my approach and I'm not forcing anyone else to do the same.

Lastly, Dexos1 has a sulphated ash limit of 1.0%, which limits the amount of additives that an oil can have. This may come into play if the OP wants to run the factory recommended 10K OCI, although most likely it won't be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back