I want a block heater with a pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2.2 GM ecotec engine and the factory block heater is an external bolt on type that is very inefficient and not as strong as I would like. The heater hoses come out of the engine close to the firewall and at about the same height as the inlets to the heater core so I don't think a "thermal siphon tank" style heater will circulate the water well enough. I'm thinking an engine heater with a real pump inside of it is what I need. All I can find is European style heaters that are 2000 watts and operate on 240 volts. [I have 120V]

Anybody have a suggestion or experience with this?

Originally Posted By: KzMitch
http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.com/kat_s

These guys have some.

This.

I used circulating heaters, (Kat brand too), for the twenty five years I lived in Alaska.

A single 1500 watt circulating heater and a 1 amp trickle charger on the battery and a vehicle left outside overnight at -60 F will start like it's 50 above, even if you put it on a timer to kick on say 2 or 3 hours before you need to start it.

Good stuff.

Meant to say that the 1500 watt, while necessary for a large V8 would be overkill for a smaller engine, so size appropriately. :)

Last edited:
Model Ts didn't have water pumps.

Do you have control over your wiring? A 220V block heater would make the neighbors jealous, and a midsized 2000 watt one could be wired with "normal 12 ga romex," a double-breaker, and a "squinty eyed" outlet.

I could update the wiring but it would be a lot easier to simply find a 750-1000 watt 120 volt unit that would work in this situation. Should have mentioned the engine will not accept a frost plug heater. I could install a pad type heater on the oil pan but I doubt the heat from those would rise much.

I found some for stationary engines. The only ones for smaller road-going engines were thermosiphon type.

I'm across the lake from you in Rochester, NY. A 200w oil pan heater on the smaller engines in both our cars heats them up pretty well in the winter. Heat isn't instant like with a thermosiphon type heater, though. It does noticeably reduce the time until the engines start producing meaningful heat.

There is this kind of thing available from Canadian Tire, in various sizes, although I wouldn't exactly say they have a "real pump," but they might be worth considering.

A Webasto would be nice, but costly.
wink.gif

Doesn't look like there is an answer for this. I doubt a coolant heater without a pump will work. Only thing left is an oil pan heater. I'm thinking 250 watts, better not cook the oil.

I like magnet bottom heaters better than dipstick heaters. Seems the little dipstick is too "pointy" a heat source. Like a little glow plug-- what if it's not in all the way, would it cook the little o-ring where the tube meets the pan? And you still have an oily, regular dipstick to put somewhere.

However the magnetic doohickey isn't strong enough to stay put while driving, so you have to put its grungy self somewhere, like in a shopping bag in your trunk. At least with its magnet it won't roll around.
wink.gif
I have a magnetic heater but I only break it out when it's below -15'F.

Though there are those adhesive external pan heaters.
20.gif

My oil pan is aluminum and it has a good size flat area that I can glue one of those square heater pads to. Wish there was a better way.

What year of car? My understanding the newer GM cars will throw a code if there is a difference between the coolant temp and the IAT after the car has been off for a while.

That being said, an oil pan heater may not trip this. I have a Wolverine heater on my TJ for when I go up to the snow. So far so good.

It is an 06, it has a factory external [bolt to side of block] heater but it's on the weak side. Like to put some other heater on it but the choices are limited. A coolant heater with it's own pump would do the trick but they don't make them in 120 volt. Strange that there is such a push for fuel efficiency yet they don't make engine heaters for these cars.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
What year of car? My understanding the newer GM cars will throw a code if there is a difference between the coolant temp and the IAT after the car has been off for a while.

That being said, an oil pan heater may not trip this. I have a Wolverine heater on my TJ for when I go up to the snow. So far so good.

My Cruze hasn't done that with the oil pan heater. It does heat the coolant up a little bit, maybe 20*F above ambient, when it's been on for 2 hours or so.

I have mine set up on a timer and extension cord running to the car.

Ask Clevy. I'm pretty sure he's used the type of heater I linked with some good success. And a stick on oil pan heater doesn't hurt matters, either. You're not going to cook the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back