Nitrogen in my tires - halarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been covered here many times, and has supporters on both sides.

The bottom line here is, for most shops, this is purely a cash-grab / profit channel. For the vast majority of consumers, 'nitrogen-filled tires' are of no real world benefit.

Why? For starters, the air that we breathe, and for that matter put in our tires using 'normal' methods is already about 78% nitrogen. What does moving up the ladder to close to 100% nitrogen really do for us that 80% doesn't?

The real advantage that proper nitrogen fill would impart is dry air. I say proper because quite a few of these nitrogen fill places use a cheap method to get nitrogen, and thus leave lots of moisture in the nitrogen fill that they use. If done properly, the nitrogen that goes into the tire has been properly 'dried' and thus there is no residual moisture left inside the tire. The moisture is the greater problem here.

The take here is, for most of us, filling with regular air from a standard compressor, is not going to hurt anything and your overall savings over the life of the tire is minimal, at least for the vast majority of us.

When I worked in the fire protection field they used dry Nitrogen to refill fire extinguishers for 2 reasons. 1, it didn't cause the power to clump because of lack of moisture, and 2 it appeared to be more stable in cold temperatures. Like in a cold unheated warehouse during the winter. In summer it would heat up and expand I guess as much as regular compressed air would. Being dry might keep corrosion from building up on a wheels bead, or rim. I'm not sure that's a real problem these days but if it is, it should help.,,

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
This has been covered here many times, and has supporters on both sides.

The bottom line here is, for most shops, this is purely a cash-grab / profit channel. For the vast majority of consumers, 'nitrogen-filled tires' are of no real world benefit.

Why? For starters, the air that we breathe, and for that matter put in our tires using 'normal' methods is already about 78% nitrogen. What does moving up the ladder to close to 100% nitrogen really do for us that 80% doesn't?

The real advantage that proper nitrogen fill would impart is dry air. I say proper because quite a few of these nitrogen fill places use a cheap method to get nitrogen, and thus leave lots of moisture in the nitrogen fill that they use. If done properly, the nitrogen that goes into the tire has been properly 'dried' and thus there is no residual moisture left inside the tire. The moisture is the greater problem here.

The take here is, for most of us, filling with regular air from a standard compressor, is not going to hurt anything and your overall savings over the life of the tire is minimal, at least for the vast majority of us.

Why is dry air so important? Last I looked, the outside of my tires are exposed to regular air and lots of rain and they seem to hold up just fine until I wear off the tread. BTW, I was more interested in the humor of the article than what or what not N2 will do.

Like syn oil nitrogen has benefits, but does the average consumer get all the benefits either claims.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: philipp10
Nitrogen in my tires - halarious

Indeed. Downright "halarious".

I was a good speller before computers and spell checker...lol

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Tire pressure sensors inside newer wheels can corrode with moist air.

Yeah, about 5 years after the 10 year battery sealed inside dies.

Originally Posted By: philipp10

Why is dry air so important? Last I looked, the outside of my tires are exposed to regular air and lots of rain and they seem to hold up just fine until I wear off the tread. BTW, I was more interested in the humor of the article than what or what not N2 will do.

Fair enough. Guess this sort of thing just irks me. You're right of course - the article is funny, if only for the fact that people can misunderstand the subject so completely.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
When I worked in the fire protection field they used dry Nitrogen to refill fire extinguishers for 2 reasons. 1, it didn't cause the power to clump because of lack of moisture, and 2 it appeared to be more stable in cold temperatures. Like in a cold unheated warehouse during the winter. In summer it would heat up and expand I guess as much as regular compressed air would. Being dry might keep corrosion from building up on a wheels bead, or rim. I'm not sure that's a real problem these days but if it is, it should help.,,

Correct, but you're talking 99.9% nitrogen here, with contaminates down to parts per million.

Tire shop, membrane unit produced nitrogen produces maybe 90% nitrogen. You can get ~80% nitrogen for free.

It surly doesn't hurt anything to use this cleaner, mostly nitrogen product, but as far as being beneficial? Meh..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back