Switched to Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my 2012 Honda accord V6 EX-L over from Honda's 0w-20w to Pennzoil platinum. The car runs smoother, but the low end torque seems diminished.(starting from a light or stop sign) Is this normal with a full synthetic oil? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly doubt the switch made any engine operation changes to be felt, probably the weather?

I've ran 5W20 Ultra, then switched to TGMO 0W20 in my Accord, and nothing changed, MPG remained the same as well.

I doubt your low end torque was altered by chabgibg oil brands. I have used Honda Genuine blend 0w20 in my Accord and Pennzoil Platinum. I noticed no difference. TGMO does seem to make the engine a little more "free spirited", but it's probably just a placebo effect.

Make sure the oil is not overfilled. Give the oil 500mil to bed in. If it Dexos 1 it will be more viscous in use. Dexos Valvoline in my sig is so thick I had to dump 1&1/2qts and sub in 0w20 PU to get my car to be even slightly spunky again. You just drained a USED oil that was likely in the mid 6cSt range with < 2.5 HTHS and replaced it with an oil that was likely 8.7 cSt w/ ~2.7 HTHS

After this (short) OCI Im going back to WALMART WPp full synthetic. The Rogue at this point doe not like the Valvoline. SHhhh. Big secret = GREAT stuff on the cheap. The Wpp with its big Boron makes big full throttle power for you race inclined. GM 4718 spec.

Also, If you just had a big pollen month, maybe change or blow out your AF. My car started getting boggy after a couple weeks of tons of pollen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Like Leonardo629 said, hot weather, lower charge density, lower performance.

Yes, hot weather is the most likely culprit for decrease performance from standing start. I experienced the same with my S2000, it didn't move for split seconds when ambient temperature is above 80-90F and intake temperature is above 150-160F.

Originally Posted By: bebbus234
I changed my 2012 Honda accord V6 EX-L over from Honda's 0w-20w to Pennzoil platinum. The car runs smoother, but the low end torque seems diminished.(starting from a light or stop sign) Is this normal with a full synthetic oil? Thanks.

It is all in your head. A different brand of oil is not going to alter how the engine runs.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
A different oil brand will not effect torque! Lol

Exactly. I'd like to know how "butt torque" is even measured.

Thanks guy's. I think it's a matter of getting used to the feeling of much less friction of the flow from the synthetic, and the outside warm temps too. It's filled perfectly to the full mark. It's so smooth it almost feels like my last car, an 07 SE accord... 4-cyl!

Thanks guy's. I think it's a matter of getting used to the feeling of much less friction of the flow from the synthetic, and the outside warm temps too. It's filled perfectly to the full mark. It's so smooth it almost feels like my last car, an 07 SE accord... 4-cyl!
With friction modified oils these days there is no difference in friction. Flow? really.

Obi Wan, the placebo effect is strong in this one....

Originally Posted By: stchman

It is all in your head. A different brand of oil is not going to alter how the engine runs.

You are correct unless you went from 0-20 to a heavy oil like a 50 wt.

Last edited:
Edit: can not delete post
frown.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back