QSUD / i thought it was ACEA A5 approved...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Quaker State seems to be changing the look of their bottles as referenced in a recent DEFY post and the differences i noticed yesterday while at WMart. With that, the back of the bottle doesn't show an ACEA approval anymore. Or am i mistaken and it never did? It does still retain HTO-6 (back of bottle) and Dexos.

2-5-UltimateDurability_chart.jpg

2-5-motor-oils-ultimate_new_0.jpg

Last edited:
How many new vehicle owners manuals in the US actually specify the use of ACEA oil these days? I'm just curious. Most in the US either reference some API/ILSAC spec or a particular vehicle manufacturer spec.

I know Hyundai had some confusing text suggesting to use either API or ACEA, but I think we beat that one to death, blaming it on a poorly written manual.
smile.gif

What I'm getting at is that maybe the oil manufacturers just don't bother to obtain these ACEA A1 or A5 approvals because nobody bases their purchasing decision on it anyway.

There is no such a category A5. Even just A5/B5 makes little sense if they don't tell the revision date of that specification. I doubt that Castrol Edge Syntec, Pennzoil Platinum or QSUD meet A5/B5. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum likely meets that level. May be the real Castrol Edge (golden bottle) meets as well. American Mobil 1 honestly doesn't put A5/B5 on the bottles.

It was (is)? A5-02. I bought a quart of 5w-30 to top off ones of my parents cars this January, and it still indicated that spec on the back of the bottle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: typ901
It was (is)? A5-02. I bought a quart of 5w-30 to top off ones of my parents cars this January, and it still indicated that spec on the back of the bottle.

The 02 version has long been discontinued/superseded. They'd better not mention it on the label or they may get themselves in trouble with ACEA.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The 02 version has long been discontinued/superseded. They'd better not mention it on the label or they may get themselves in trouble with ACEA.

QSUD probably isn;t sold in Europe anyway, so they can;t really get in trouble.

In regards to not appearing on the site, ACEA isn't exactly an "OEM spec" per se

I see, so even if it was in the past, it was an irrelevant, or out-dated spec. Like bitog member, typ901 points out, i thought i saw it on the label in the past as well. It really makes no difference now that everyone else has caught me back up to speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back