Possible Fram Ultra issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danh
Maybe, despite claims to the contrary, you can't have great filtration and great flow at the same time.

Sure you can, this subject has been discussed many times. If an oil filter is designed correctly you can have both good flow and high efficiency. Don't forget how a positive displacement oil pump works ... they don't really care if an oil filter has a few more PSI of delta-p across the media when oil is being forced through it by the PD pump.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
When you take into consideration the ittzy bittzy base plate inlet holes and a filter element that catches everything including the Ebola virus, you're gonna have some oil starved engines.

Geeez ... zero facts, all hearsay.
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The Ultra is not flow restrictive. It's probably a lifter going bad.

GM 3800's don't have lifter problems; we're talking about a legendary engine here.

Legendary engines deserve legendary oil filters -----> NAPA Platinum.
grin2.gif

nope i did not put him up to it but i am interested to hear about the outcome, both what fram says and if the tick went away with the new filter.

if its a bad bypass and it only happens with the ultra that sort of tells a story.. I have 4 ultras in use and so far i have had no problems. I will be cutting them all open at the 10,000-15,000 mile mark.

Someone said "the higher flowing fram" how do you know the fram is "higher flowing" ? Did you read it on the internet or do some sort of calibrated flow test?

Lets see what Fram says first and go from there. No matter what they say some may not believe them anyway, i personally am curious as to what the outcome will be.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

Someone said "the higher flowing fram" how do you know the fram is "higher flowing" ? Did you read it on the internet or do some sort of calibrated flow test?

You apparently never read what Motorking says about the flow ... he even said it in this thread. He has access to the lab test data, so how much better can you ask for unless you sent one to an independent lab with $5K to pay for the ISO test?

GM 3800's don't have lifter problems; we're talking about a legendary engine here.

grin2.gif

Your right ... those 3800s need a zero restriction oil filter (because they don't filter much) so the oil pump doesn't blow up. LoL
laugh.gif

grin2.gif

Your right ... those 3800s need a zero restriction oil filter (because they don't filter much) so the oil pump doesn't blow up. LoL
laugh.gif

The stainless steel filters still have higher flow than the Napa Platinum and Wix XP lineup. Probably better efficiency too!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Glad to see you taking them up on their offer instead of just saying 'ah, Fram is garbage' and throwing it away.

The only experience I can relate was I put on a M1 filter 2 winters ago on my Tribute, and I got a tick for a few seconds at start-up. But, it was the first use of syn in that engine, so I'm not putting much stock in it.

But, since then I've been cheap, and have only used OCOD and OCOD clone filters, and I hardly ever have start-up tick....so I dunno.

No i wouldn't just throw it away, that filter has a story to tell. I really like the way these filters are made and their efficiency,i believe they are a top shelf filter.
To put it in perspective, like i said..
Quote:
Most of the ticking is gone within a few seconds but if you listen closely you can hear faint ticking sounds for a few minutes. Most people wouldn't even notice them after the first few seconds but i do.

The light almost inaudible ticking that continued could have been from the oil filter mounting area. That noise is also gone.

I don't have any reason to suspect that any engine damage was done, the oil light went out just as quickly, i have been thinking about a mechanical gauge for this but there is nowhere to put it except for the windshield pillar and that's not happening, its just too boy racer style.

I may have jumped the gun posting this before hearing from Fram. No they are not junk and no one should go tearing them off your engine based on this single abnormality.
I just put one on another car and its not making any noise.

Check and see if your turn signal is off.

I've seen lots of "older" people driving around
with a turn flasher on and wondering what the
funny clicking noise is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Trav

No i just changed the filter. The oil stayed in,

I'd let it rest Trav. You know, it's water under the bridge. We all know that Rank doesn't make a single bad product.
After seeing this thread, can you imagine the flak a poster would have received had it been his first post? Poor soul...

I think you're quite right. I have to admit that I'd be skeptical if it were anyone but Trav. My view is that if Trav got confused and this were an ADBV issue or he were out to lunch on this, I'd have to give up driving and hop on my bike, since there would be no reason to trust anything in the automotive industry anymore.
wink.gif

I'm going to say the bypass is being obnoxious, assuming that this filter has a bypass. My GM knowledge is a bit um, out of date, shall we say.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
if its a bad bypass and it only happens with the ultra that sort of tells a story.. I have 4 ultras in use and so far i have had no problems. I will be cutting them all open at the 10,000-15,000 mile mark.

Lets see what Fram says first and go from there. No matter what they say some may not believe them anyway, i personally am curious as to what the outcome will be.

I said higher flowing Fram, not MotorKing, and I also said I was joking. I said the Fram flows oil so fast the lifters can't catch it when it goes by.
No one answers, not joking now, why even a plugged solid filter should still be OK to use for oil flow if the bypass is working. The bypass on this is on the block side, and they are replaceable, for $5-10.
I would guess, an opinion based on construction, not anything else, the Fram does flow better than the other one. Not that it should matter to the engine as both should flow more than is needed.

Originally Posted By: Skittles
Originally Posted By: Motorking
.....I read the entire thread so I know what has transpired......You changed the filter (and oil) and the noise went away. It could have been the oil.....

REALLY? Read it all again, and then maybe one more time to make sure you understand.

Solid point. As the OP had clearly posted previously......

I just tried it again at noon today after sitting since yesterday and no noise at all, its silent as it ever was. So the same oil is in there just a different filter, it appear the problem is in this particular filter......

So NO, it could NOT have been the oil. SMH at SOS now on this board. Kruse comments hit the mark too, if this had been a new or even less experienced poster it would have been really ugly here, 'imo'.

As this car is an older GM and I'm certain the OP purchased the correct filter applications, this GM has a block bypass so it's also NOT the filter integral bypass. There is none.

As for the inlet hole size poppycock, as noted by Zee that horse has been beaten to death so many times it's become absurd. It's not that either.

That leaves the adbv as a possible culprit. And as great as the FU is thoroughly promoted on this board, it is possible that it was compromised in some fashion. Perhaps that's too much heresy for some to read, but it is possible.

Other than that, without a dissection, no idea. Even then it may not show anything obvious. I guess putting another FU on to see if it was just that specific filter, or just FU in general not agreeing with said engine. My .02

Originally Posted By: Garak
I think you're quite right. I have to admit that I'd be skeptical if it were anyone but Trav. My view is that if Trav got confused and this were an ADBV issue or he were out to lunch on this, I'd have to give up driving and hop on my bike, since there would be no reason to trust anything in the automotive industry anymore.
wink.gif

I'm going to say the bypass is being obnoxious, assuming that this filter has a bypass. My GM knowledge is a bit um, out of date, shall we say.

This has the bypass mounted in the filter mount, this one has a 21 psi and the previous years has 11 psi. I have a feeling it has nothing to do with how well the filters media itself flows but possibly something else but i cant figure out what and why.
In theory this sounds impossible but i know the difference between a cracked manifold, stuck on blinker, normal injector noise and lifters.
I have listened to multiple engines a day every day of my life for 42 years.

I will let Fram deal with it and post back their answer. The engine remains quiet at start up even after sitting 24 hrs.

Yeah, I drove about a mile yesterday with the left turn signal flashing, wondering what the funny noise my engine was making.
So naturally I thought......could it be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: used_0il
Check and see if your turn signal is off.

I've seen lots of "older" people driving around
with a turn flasher on and wondering what the
funny clicking noise is.

I'm probably a lot younger than you. No i didn't forget the indicator. LOL

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back