Possible problem with window AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Years back we were running a bedroom window unit and turning off the central ac (we like it cold at night too) every night. Ours would do the same exact as yours,it's start blowing cold air and if you turned it off for awhile and restarted it,it'd begin to blow cold again.

Anyway we eventually quit using it once we got the electric bill and saw how high it was. The window unit cost more to run than our central unit. Window units are very inefficient.

Depends on the unit.

My 11.x EER? 6000btu unit pulls about 400watts running.
much more efficient than my central air running an extra 2-3 hours a day to keep the upstairs office(finished attic of a cape cod house) cool.

it runs maybe 50% of the time I usually keep it at 66-68 because of the shape of the room it cools unevenly. However adding a 50watt fan to move air around just uses more power. It also has a timer and I'll set it to kick on an hour before I get home from work. Takes about that long to go from 90f to 75f

Downstairs is usually on 73f-75f depending on cooking, TV etc.

of course my house HVAC is horrid with a central collector return. IT does have a nice shiny new carrier AC and 95% efficient gas furnace.

Yeah, if you can manage the aesthetics of window ACs, they can be quite good, especially given the higher efficiency and more quiet recent units. Their prices cant be beat... An 11.5 EER 6k BTU unit is what, $179 at Home Depot all day long? 5000 BTU ones are like $129.

Weve gone to split units, which are FAR more efficient than central, if you know what youre doing/don't have a ripoff installer, can be very low cost, and are silent and great. You can control locally as opposed to the inefficiencies, duct losses and dust issues associated with central.

Just a quick update, the blinking light phenomenon has started happening at all temp settings. Sharp is having a third party inspect the unit tomorrow.

I'm thinking a sensor or thermocouple made need to be replaced.

Hey Everyone,

I had to cancel the appointment since they wanted to take the AC with them for a few days to clean it out. I ended up buying a can of foaming AC cleaner, what a difference!!

It completely solved the problem, no more issues and no more water coming into my apartment.

I think the coils got blocked by the landscapers always blowing crud around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back