07 Accord 2.4 sudden oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much oil consumption is expected from a bad PCV valve? This car has never needed oil added between oil changes but recently was over a quart low when I checked the stick. Pulled the PCV valve and was clogged with oil along with oil in the hose. Replaced with new OEM valve but wondering if I have other issues. Car has 170K and replaced plugs about 5K ago. Doesn't smoke or leak any oil. Power seems good although mpg was down to 30 mpg from usually 33 mpg. I did use a different brand 5-20 oil on last change. I have used QS Defy, Penzoil Platinum, Valvoline and Havoline over the years and used Peak Conventional the last time but didn't think that would make much difference in consumption.

A plugged air filter can cause increased oil consumption by way of the PCV system. Check the filter and clean the throttle body if it's covered in oil.

Forgot to mention I did clean the throttle body with TB cleaner which was dirty and the air filter which did have some dirt in between the pleats. Are the properties in different name brand oils that different that an engine would consume oil of one brand and not another?

170k is well past when the PCV would survive on most cars.

Then again, some need to be replaced every year, and some will last longer than you have the car...

Originally Posted By: wolfehunter
How much oil consumption is expected from a bad PCV valve? This car has never needed oil added between oil changes but recently was over a quart low when I checked the stick. Pulled the PCV valve and was clogged with oil along with oil in the hose. Replaced with new OEM valve but wondering if I have other issues. Car has 170K and replaced plugs about 5K ago. Doesn't smoke or leak any oil. Power seems good although mpg was down to 30 mpg from usually 33 mpg. I did use a different brand 5-20 oil on last change. I have used QS Defy, Penzoil Platinum, Valvoline and Havoline over the years and used Peak Conventional the last time but didn't think that would make much difference in consumption.

Old PCValve, dirty air filter, then listing all those synthetic oils with an abrupt change to a cheap, inexpensive conventional oil, would create more oil loss.

Now that you've replaced the PCV and air filter, go back to synthetic oil and see if the loss is reduced. Let us know.

Last edited:
When the PCV hose on my A6 froze up on cold winter day, I burned through 1.5 liters of oil in the 15 mile drive home from a friend's house. All kinds of misfires and a James Bond type of smoke screen.

Once it warmed and thawed, back to no consumption.

I changed the PCV valve on my 05 once and it was pefectly clean when I did. I sold the car with 180k miles on it. I'm not sure what could be causing it to clog. The car always consumed 1/2-1qt of oil every 5k miles. fwiw.

The Peak 5W-20 shouldn't have been the problem.

I've found Peak to be work very well and not require any top offs in my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

I've found Peak to be work very well and not require any top offs in my vehicles.

Did you a run of near-lifetime of synthetics until the switch to Peak?

If not, then how do you know this? I've run 130K of synthetics, then switched to conventional. Only difference is I would never run Peak when I switched. I use name-brand oils like Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil....etc. I trust they use less when a switch like this occurs.

Secondly, I never said the entire consumption issue was caused by Peak. Geez' O' Pete!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

And the OP found out that is not working is his 170k engine. It created more volatile compounds (vapors) than previous oils, clogged fully the PCV valve that probably was already past due, and the increased crankcase pressure pushed the oil film faster past the worn rings and was burned off... Next thing to fail with this oil are the O2 sensors (probably never changed) and catalytic converters.

It is what it is. At 170k miles I would never use a 20 weight oil. Especially in the summer.

Last edited:
Yes, got engine light code for downstream O2 sensor while running the Peak and decided to just replace both of them right away. ran conventional when we first got the car and then QS Defy since 100K mark. I had seen a post here on BITOG about Peak on sale at Dollar General and it being a good oil so I snagged some. And I am in no way bashing Peak as it sounds like any conventional may have given me the same results. Or it might just be the air cleaner and pcv valve to blame. So what grade oil is suggested I run in this car? Manual calls for 5-20. Suggestions appreciated.

Coincidence on the Peak. I've run just about everything 5w30 and 5w20 in Honda 4 and 6cyl engines and they don't even seem to care. Defy is a great lower-cost blend, I've run it for some time as well. Addressing the PCV was likely the main issue. I'd stick with Defy 5w20 for at least 2 OCIs. Go back to conv afterwards if you want to.

(Many Kmart locations have Defy on closeout, probably because of the recent blend change).

Originally Posted By: wolfehunter
Manual calls for 5-20. Suggestions appreciated.

That's for a new car, with zero miles on it. You have 170k, time to up the number to at least 5W-30. If you intend to keep it longer, that is...
And if you read my post about O2 sensors, it said something about cat too. Downstream sensor bad might mean that it was a lot of oil passing by the catalytic converter too...

Last edited:
After reading this post, checked my oil and it was waaay down,after 4,400 miles, yet it has never previously used oil.

So at 181k miles I have just changed the PCV valve. And 5W-30 with the next OCI in ~1200 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back