Old Glory on a utility pole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
I love some of you guys...

We all preach patriotism differently. If some absent minded student body wants to debate something which we all know will start and end in their local area let it. Freedom cannot be contained and certainly not afforded to only the oldies who view the US flag as the only legitimate one on the planet.

So what if a small community celebrates a national holiday that is not of the US? You do know why they came here? Freedom...freedom from a police state, or despotism/communism. Just because they celebrate something that more than likely has a religious or emotional reason associated with it we are soon to send them packing.

I do not view the US flag as the only legit one on the planet nor have I see anyone make such a claim in this thread? No one is talking about other country's flags but rather our own flag displayed in this country. Your comment seems like a big stretch to me.
21.gif

I also have NO problem with a community celebrating a holiday such a CDM. However, if they want to be offended that some wore US flag pins or t-shirts then I do have a problem with them. This is the US not Mexico. As I said before if you do not want to see any US flags at your CDM celebration because it offends you then go to Mexico to celebrate it. A US flag, displayed in the US, should never be offensive. Period and end of story. People at that CDM celebration being offended by US flag pins or t-shirts would be like me being offended if I was in Mexico and I was offended at all the Mexican flags being flown on July 4th. That would be stupid on my part just as it is stupid on theirs.

I am tired of having to accommodate the feelings and cultural differences of immigrants and illegals. We are the people who live here. This is OUR country. If they come here they should conform to OUR standards and society not the other way around. Just as I would do if I went to their country. I don't mean they have to totally give up their ethnic history or anything. Nothing wrong with remembering and celebrating it but it should not be something that takes precedence over the US culture and flag.

Nothing wrong with displaying your love for your country but don't use the US flag as a shield to breed hate & ignorance. People do not have to love it or leave. The whole point about the US is to have a dissenting opinion about something without being shot at for sedition.

I have to disagree with you here to some degree. This is the US and in this country the US flag should be respected. People have a right to differing views certainly but it is because of the blood that has been shed to give them that right and to preserve it. The flag is a symbol of that freedom and to disrespect the flag is to disrespect everything we stand for in this country and all those who fought for and even died for that flag( my Dad was one of them - WWII D-Day Invasion landed at Omaha Beach and eventually wounded in Germany and sent home ).

Don't come here as an illegal or an immigrant and then raise a stink about the flag offending you at some celebration from your country. Why should we respect your country, your flag, and your culture when you have none for ours. Not even when you are in it. THAT is what gets me riled up. That and stupid, moronic, tools who actually are US citizens and think it is cool to trash the flag so they can get on tv or social media videos.

I think some of you get a little to hardcore about that aspect. Sure I hate it when I see a Puerto Rico or Mexico flag being flown with no US flag in sight but honestly would good would do being the flag police? I just make sure I am doing it properly, for myself.

That is a big deal. A US flag should be flown above it period. It would do a lot of good actually if you and more people spoke up. This country needs to get back to having some pride in ourselves and not letting others treat us poorly. We can't expect the world to respect us if we don't respect ourselves though. If someone comes to this country they need to respect our culture, our citizens, and even our flag. If they don't then they need to get the [censored] out!

A few years ago we had a situation locally where a VFW's members had placed flags on several bridges over freeways. Unfortunately, they hadn't consulted the highway department before putting them up. There was a large uproar when the highway department removed them, but by law they had to come down because it's illegal for anyone to put any sign, banner, flag, etc on a bridge. Eventually they came to an agreement where the VFW provided the flags to the highway department, who then legally installed the flags on the bridges. Now they're on more bridges than they were in the first place, and the highway department also installed solar powered LED lighting so they're properly illuminated at night.

The flag is mounted on a utility pole with a light at the top, which is why the pole was put there in the first place.

Last edited:
God Bless America! I love to see the Stars and Stripes flying proud! If someone tells you to take it down tell them to come see me.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: raytseng
I'm not sure if you guys are being open to the flipside to this though.

But keep in mind when the "border militia" folk take up the US flag and open carry their rifles and guns and go around pretending to be law enforcement and bothering folks who they THINK look like illegals.

I think around cinco de mayo, this argument was rehashed when boys in high school did the same thing when they purposely organized to wear american flags on a planned cinco de mayo student celebration. At least that was a real story.

That's not cool and their intent was to be offensive, but they were not only a-holes but being cowards by hiding their message of hate behind the "i'm just being patriotic" line.

If you're on the said that "on shouldn't be offended", then you're basically sticking up for all the a-holes who will use co-opt and stealing your symbol to mean something else, but tacitly pulling you into agreeing with their cause.

ref: westboro baptist church. If they just carry around the flag does that then make their disgusting hateful speech OK in your book?
If the KKK wears around flags and uses it when they go as their symbol to lynch people then you're OK with it?

There is no flip side to this I need to be open to. This is the United States. There should be no restrictions on flying our flag because it might offend someone. Especially not if it offends immigrants/illegals.

I could give a flying flip if anyone was offended that some wore American Flag pins on Cinco De Mayo. This is the US not Mexico. If you want to celebrate a Mexican holiday without any US flags then go to Mexico and do it.

If seeing the American flag, while in the United States, offends you then perhaps you need to rethink your choice of where you are living.

Good lord. What has happened to our country.

Great post...some of these guys seem to be hung up on people wearing the flag being disrespectful...the point is people who live in this country who find the flag, and what it stands for offensive. THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! If you find our flag offensive, then you shouldn't be living in this country! Period!

We all preach patriotism differently. If some absent minded student body wants to debate something which we all know will start and end in their local area let it. Freedom cannot be contained and certainly not afforded to only the oldies who view the US flag as the only legitimate one on the planet.

So what if a small community celebrates a national holiday that is not of the US? You do know why they came here? Freedom...freedom from a police state, or despotism/communism. Just because they celebrate something that more than likely has a religious or emotional reason associated with it we are soon to send them packing.

I do not view the US flag as the only legit one on the planet nor have I see anyone make such a claim in this thread? No one is talking about other country's flags but rather our own flag displayed in this country. Your comment seems like a big stretch to me.
21.gif

I also have NO problem with a community celebrating a holiday such a CDM. However, if they want to be offended that some wore US flag pins or t-shirts then I do have a problem with them. This is the US not Mexico. As I said before if you do not want to see any US flags at your CDM celebration because it offends you then go to Mexico to celebrate it. A US flag, displayed in the US, should never be offensive. Period and end of story. People at that CDM celebration being offended by US flag pins or t-shirts would be like me being offended if I was in Mexico and I was offended at all the Mexican flags being flown on July 4th. That would be stupid on my part just as it is stupid on theirs.

I am tired of having to accommodate the feelings and cultural differences of immigrants and illegals. We are the people who live here. This is OUR country. If they come here they should conform to OUR standards and society not the other way around. Just as I would do if I went to their country. I don't mean they have to totally give up their ethnic history or anything. Nothing wrong with remembering and celebrating it but it should not be something that takes precedence over the US culture and flag.

Nothing wrong with displaying your love for your country but don't use the US flag as a shield to breed hate & ignorance. People do not have to love it or leave. The whole point about the US is to have a dissenting opinion about something without being shot at for sedition.

I have to disagree with you here to some degree. This is the US and in this country the US flag should be respected. People have a right to differing views certainly but it is because of the blood that has been shed to give them that right and to preserve it. The flag is a symbol of that freedom and to disrespect the flag is to disrespect everything we stand for in this country and all those who fought for and even died for that flag( my Dad was one of them - WWII D-Day Invasion landed at Omaha Beach and eventually wounded in Germany and sent home ).

Don't come here as an illegal or an immigrant and then raise a stink about the flag offending you at some celebration from your country. Why should we respect your country, your flag, and your culture when you have none for ours. Not even when you are in it. THAT is what gets me riled up. That and stupid, moronic, tools who actually are US citizens and think it is cool to trash the flag so they can get on tv or social media videos.

I think some of you get a little to hardcore about that aspect. Sure I hate it when I see a Puerto Rico or Mexico flag being flown with no US flag in sight but honestly would good would do being the flag police? I just make sure I am doing it properly, for myself.

That is a big deal. A US flag should be flown above it period. It would do a lot of good actually if you and more people spoke up. This country needs to get back to having some pride in ourselves and not letting others treat us poorly. We can't expect the world to respect us if we don't respect ourselves though. If someone comes to this country they need to respect our culture, our citizens, and even our flag. If they don't then they need to get the [censored] out!

Best post in the entire thread right here!!!!

So some good ol' boys decided to wear US Flags on their shirts. Perfectly in their right to do so in a respectful manner but to enrage or otherwise add friction for whatever reason however minute then they are totally in the wrong. The flag is not weapon to breed hate and misunderstanding. If anything they should have asked for Mexican flags because had the battle of Puebla gone south. The US would be a FAR different place. Be proud of both, celebrate the fact you live a free country and the fact that Mexico was not overtaken by the French.

This brings up something I saw at a gas station in PA near Harrisburg on our return trip from TX. A pickup truck with a large Confederate Flag mounted on the back. Now the said the individual could be a southern transplant or just some kid identifying with the "rebel ideal". I hope he only feels that and not some misguided attempt at thinking anything involving the Civil War was about anything other than abolishing slavery. The south was not in the right and never will be but they did what good dissenting American would do. Said no this will kill our method of producing goods/money and will likely send us all to the poor house. They weren't ready for such an abrupt shift in economy and took to arms just the 13 colonies did with taxes.

Now as this all raced through my mind because I found his way of displaying it offensive just I would if it was a US flag. It is not a toy for your car window or the back of your truck. However I was tired and not in any mood to educate a child.

Much better put than I could ever convey.

I think some of us are on different pages, but probably the same book.

The US flag should never be considered offensive and should always be respected.

Showing up to an even you have no interest in, with the flag on your shirt, painted on your face or anywhere else for the sole purpose of instigating disquiet is not respectful to the member interested in the event,nor the flag...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
The flag is mounted on a utility pole with a light at the top, which is why the pole was put there in the first place.

Right, but is it illuminating the flag or everything else, and the flag just so happens to have sufficient light to be seen?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Who sets the flag rules/etiquette?

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf

That's interesting. I always wondered. So they are basic guidelines with no actual rules or enforcement. The other thought I have is what happens when the code is so outdated to everyday life? The guidelines are almost irrelevant these days in many of the details (for example you shouldn't use the flag in advertising).

The flag is sufficiently lit at night to be seen from a block away. What is ....IS? We seem to be splitting hairs here?

Last edited:

21.gif

See I don't like it when people only quote what they choose to read and not respond to the whole thing and the context it was written in. The comment I made about the US flag being considered the only legitimate one was a stab at some old timers and their ways. Sarcasm, not to be taken in a literal sense.

Those guys purposely used the flag as a shield to disrupt a cultural celebration. They were misusing the flag by definition. Whether they choose to fly it or not on their own accord is their choice not yours. No one can be forced to fly a flag because what does that prove? Will they love it more if forced to display it? You missed the point entirely. The people celebrating didn't find the US flag offensive, they found the hate filled bigots forcing them to display it offensive. Again they used a US flag as a shield to breed hate...nothing more.

I bet those same people wear US flags and display them proudly on July 4th just like you and I.

I answered this mostly above and you are I are one in the same, those boys, that kid I saw, are stupid moronic tools that do nothing to further patriotism. They hurt it more than anything. Again those immigrants didn't care about the US flag they cared about stupid kids ruining their celebration by using the flag as shield to be bigots. You want to get riled up then there is a reason.

I agree to a point, I've learned that people are way to stupid or just don't care about rules. Heck we all know about this when driving. So I've bit my tongue many times just because I either didn't want to get stabbed/shot/beaten other something so trivial.

One thing I think we can all relate to is parenting. No one appreciates being told how to raise their child even in the nicest manner. I've tried being completely respectful in the face of soooo much bad parenting. It never ended well even when I told one lady it is child abuse and I would report her. She was cursing at/slapping/telling the kid she didn't love it/telling it she wound sexually abuse it, ya it was bad. After that incident I've learned to only do good, preaching it doesn't seem to work as well.

I even offered to hand a US flag for people...I get blank stares and caustic remarks. I just live and let be now because that last thing I want is someone taking the flag down and trashing it out of ignorance or anger.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
]

Much better put than I could ever convey.

I think some of us are on different pages, but probably the same book.

The US flag should never be considered offensive and should always be respected.

Showing up to an even you have no interest in, with the flag on your shirt, painted on your face or anywhere else for the sole purpose of instigating disquiet is not respectful to the member interested in the event,nor the flag...

That is exactly my point, we are all here just not in the same spot on the issue.

If you outright disrespect the flag you deserve any hate you get for it.

Using it as tool to further any agenda is misuse especially if you preach on understanding but just push hate.

I work for an electric utility. If you asked I'm sure they would say no to anything attached to their pole, including stapled posters - staples can preset climbing issues for the lineman's gaffs.

That said, everyone does it and they don't care unless it is in their way. Linemen don't climb anything they can get at with a bucket truck.

See I don't like it when people only quote what they choose to read and not respond to the whole thing and the context it was written in. The comment I made about the US flag being considered the only legitimate one was a stab at some old timers and their ways. Sarcasm, not to be taken in a literal sense.

I broke up your comments into the sections I was specifically commenting on. I didn't leave anything out that mattered in my response. Lots of guys on here cherry pick tiny portions and leave out most of the comments that make it sound/mean something else so they can berate you. I did not do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back