Wedding problem - fake DJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda

I can picture this redneck "band" in my head. Who in the [censored] wants to hear your cousin play Hot Cross Buns on the recorder at a freakin wedding? Get real.

[censored] is wrong with you? Insult my families talent based on your skewed imaginations and lack of said talent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I find DJ's and paid bands at weddings are not that great...

Seriously, you have to HIRE someone to play MUSIC? [censored] is wrong with people, nobody in your family has a musical instrument? SAD.

It is really nice to cover some good hits, with your own spin. Every family should have musical talent. Just like the old days with Grandpa and his bucking wings, the same pair Great Great Grandpa used in the log cabin!

Seriously, I play the Banjo, Great Grandma played the Harmonica, cousin plays the recorder and wash board, another cousin is good with Rap.... bring them together would make a GREAT reception band.
Sounds better than most of the brainless dance music that most DJs play these days, anyway. I've heard more than a few decent bluegrass bands!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Not enough alcohol was served. After enough alcohol any DJ and music sounds good. Alcohol works wonders.

...especially in creating humiliating YouTube videos!
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Happened to my sister in law. DJ was a sleazebag on the mic, very unprofessional, terrible music selection, started packing up his stuff to leave half way through the reception. Actually demanded more money or he would leave. Caused a pushing, shoving, and yelling match with the father in law.

Good old "Uncle Buck" solved the problem. Pulled the DJ aside and told him that he had already been paid upfront, he wasn't getting any additional funds, and if he attempted to leave before finishing the reception he would have four slashed tires and a bunch of busted out windows on his van. Thus, the DJ was persuaded to finish the ceremony.
wink.gif

***Uncle Buck's name has been changed in the above story until the statute of limitations runs out***
wink.gif

He's lucky the dude didn't call 911 and report that he was threatened.

My friend's brother is a DJ...his wedding gift was doing the reception for nothing. (Did the same at his brother's wedding.) He doesn't do it full-time, but he's good. His setup looks a little hokey, but sounds great.

The last two weddings I attended had DJ problems. At the first, the bride's father wasn't at all pleased as the DJ didn't play the music he was contracted for.

At the second, the dude-J was overbearing, and far too loud + the "sound quality" wasn't....in went my ear plugs. It was so loud, the guests were shouting at each other while trying to visit. That's just nuts....

This is the big day of the rest of your lives together. People fly/drive in, pay for a room, the want to see & hear the new couple, visit with people, mingle, eat, drink, etc. Then some idiot dude-J shows up with a sound system, makes a fool of himself on the mic, and (mistakenly) believes this is ALL about him! WRONG....the couple and their friends & family is the center of attention...NOT him!

It's truly pathetic what passes for most indoor "live sound" these days. It's not even fidelity, much less "high". Give my ears a break....

Seriously, you have to HIRE someone to play MUSIC? [censored] is wrong with people, nobody in your family has a musical instrument? SAD.

It is really nice to cover some good hits, with your own spin. Every family should have musical talent. Just like the old days with Grandpa and his bucking wings, the same pair Great Great Grandpa used in the log cabin!

Seriously, I play the Banjo, Great Grandma played the Harmonica, cousin plays the recorder and wash board, another cousin is good with Rap.... bring them together would make a GREAT reception band.

The ask your family to do something could go the completely opposite way depending on your family dynamic.

Wouldn't you want your musical family members to enjoy themselves as guests rather then basically be "working" to provide music? It depends on your family dynamic.

A song or two during the ceremony or cocktail hour or reception usually is the extent of the ask to a guest at a wedding, especially if it was a gift that was not taken for granted.

Several hours of and djing/playing/mcing can cross the line from being a gift to then being "working". That's why you pay people to do it.

You can make the same statement, doesn't your family cook? Why would you hire caterers, just roast up a couple turkeys grill up some steaks and fixins' and grub on.

Last edited:
A wedding is not about the ceremony, the DJ, the photographer the caterer or anyone except the bride and groom.

It is about two people starting a life together and promising such to each other and the usually higher power of their choice.

A DJ cannot ruin a wedding. Your friend should not give the DJ that sort of power over his or her life.

That said, probably the time for investigating was before the hiring was done...

The DJ at my wedding sucked also.

He was the "house" guy at the wedding hall that we rented.

He played mostly oldies and we were in our early 30's.

The old people loved it, but the guy was lame.

It didn't ruin the wedding everybody had a nice time, just kind of funny actually. He didn't get much of a tip.

He even asked us what kind of music we liked, and we did not tell him oldies.

The DJ we had for our wedding did an awesome job. We went with a well known local company that's especially known for weddings. They have you meet with your DJ well in advance and completely customize your reception so everything is exactly the way you want it.

A DJ's job at a wedding reception isn't simply to sit and play music. A good DJ runs the entire reception and provides a fun and entertaining environment for all your guests.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Sounds better than most of the brainless dance music that most DJs play these days, anyway. I've heard more than a few decent bluegrass bands!

Boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and .....

For my highschool graduation party, we had one of the neighbors play guitar and sing. He was a long time family friend and really good. GREAT mix of classic rock, classic country (my favorites) and even some bluegrass mixed in there! Was 100X better than a DJ.

He wouldn't take any money, either. I think we ended up shoving it somewhere in his car when he wasn't looking.

As it is a typical wedding is loud enough. Why do people need even more noise? Ins't wedding ceremony a reason to get together with all your relatives and friends? Do you enjoy yelling over the music to talk to each other?

Frankly, I just don't quite understand the DJ concept at any social gathering! And I come from a culture where we put huge loudspeakers blaring Bollywood songs so that the entire city would know that we are having a wedding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back