Honda Fit suspension freshening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Really? How does anyone know that the spring rate is correct/accurate, or that the subcomponents are up to OE spec?

This is only a problem with cheap Chinese non-name ebay quick struts.

Quality, name-brand quick struts like Monroe, KYB, and Gabriel are just fine. Sachs has started making them too, but their applications are still limited. All four of the above are OE suppliers.

The subcomponents are the same as the standalone counterparts for the same brand. For example, KYB's quick struts probably use the same KYB strut mounts they sell separately.

But, unfortunately, this is all moot for the OP because they don't make any for the Fit.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

It is Showa, they also make the rack and pinions for the Ohio-made Honda's. I've been in the factory.

Cool, good to know.

most of the Monroe OESpectrum line of struts are rebranded brand name stuff mostly from 1st-rate industrialised countries.

In the case of my BIL's MPV (recently serviced with OESpectrum all 4 corners): fronts are rebranded Jpn made KYBs, rears are Tenneco house stuff (shocks).

Works well.

Q.

Recently I refreshed the entire suspension on my old Saab 9-5. The front Mac struts were replaced with Monroe OESpectrum, despite protest from my Saab buddies. But they were 1/3 the cost of the Saab parts, and 1/6 the cost of Koni yellows. The Monroes actually work well. Not sure how long they'll last, but I'm happy so far.

My biggest concern with quick struts is the spring rate of the coil spring. So much goes into chassis tuning (at least with some manufacturers), and I'd hate for a third party to use a spring that's just "close" in a quick strut.

It's interesting to hear that Monroe may be simply re-branding true OES dampers with their OESpectrum line. That's kind of a neat idea -- buy genuine OE stuff in bulk and sell it at the retail level.

The Monroe OESpectrums that I put on the front of the Audi appeared in every way to be unbranded duplicates of the OE Sachs dampers that they replaced. Monroe doesn't even put their name anywhere on the damper body, but actually provides stickers with their name on them. The stickers lasted all of one winter before disintegrating.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Really? How does anyone know that the spring rate is correct/accurate, or that the subcomponents are up to OE spec?

This is only a problem with cheap Chinese non-name ebay quick struts.

Quality, name-brand quick struts like Monroe, KYB, and Gabriel are just fine. Sachs has started making them too, but their applications are still limited. All four of the above are OE suppliers.

The subcomponents are the same as the standalone counterparts for the same brand. For example, KYB's quick struts probably use the same KYB strut mounts they sell separately.

But, unfortunately, this is all moot for the OP because they don't make any for the Fit.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

It is Showa, they also make the rack and pinions for the Ohio-made Honda's. I've been in the factory.

Cool, good to know.

Just an example of some of the issues with these Quick Struts:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t769402-monroe_quick_strut_repeated_problems___.html

Just get the Monroes and be done with it. They are good and reasonably priced. Your wife isn't a "car guy" and probably doesn't want the harsh ride that KYB's or Gabriels would give.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t769402-monroe_quick_strut_repeated_problems___.html

First, the mounts are just as good or bad if bought separately.

Second, that was a long time ago. In fact, I had an ES300, and I used Gabriel Readymount quick struts (in 2012) and had them on for a couple years, 20k, no problems. (they weren't listed for the ES, only the Camry, but they still worked great)

The problem with the ones you linked is that the top nut wasn't torqued down enough. Once you tightened it, the strut was fine
smile.gif

(mine were not under-torqued)

Standalone mounts and components have a short warranty. The premium name brand quick struts have a lifetime warranty that applies to all components.

The only reasons to not use quick struts is if they're not available for your car, like the Fit, or if you want high performance. In all other cases, quick struts are the way to go.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: The Critic

First, the mounts are just as good or bad if bought separately.

Second, that was a long time ago. In fact, I had an ES300, and I used Gabriel Readymount quick struts (in 2012) and had them on for a couple years, 20k, no problems. (they weren't listed for the ES, only the Camry, but they still worked great)

The problem with the ones you linked is that the top nut wasn't torqued down enough. Once you tightened it, the strut was fine
smile.gif

(mine were not under-torqued)

Standalone mounts and components have a short warranty. The premium name brand quick struts have a lifetime warranty that applies to all components.

The only reasons to not use quick struts is if they're not available for your car, like the Fit, or if you want high performance. In all other cases, quick struts are the way to go.

Fair points, I'll give you that.

Here are my issues:

1) The spring rates are unknown. At the OE level, they usually have different springs available for auto/manual, sports pkg/non-sports pkg, etc. There's definitely a lot of "consolidation" at the aftermarket level and this means that someone is getting the short end of the stick.

2) The bump stop and bellow boots used are often of a generic design. The OE design is often much different -- like on some Toyotas, the bellow boot attaches to the upper spring seat.

3) You are right in that the mounts could be just as "lousy" if I had bought them on a standalone basis. But then again, if I had a choice, I would buy OE mounts and not aftermarket.

At the end of the day, most cars getting quick struts are usually ones that have very very high mileage (175-200k) and are probably near the end of their life anyways. So most buyers would be happy if the units last another 30-50k and they probably won't be the pickiest drivers.

All four corners got done. Like others, the front struts were relabeled OEM while the rear shocks were generic Tenneco. Combined with the Michelin Premiers on it, this little car rides very smoothly now while still retaining its go kart handling. Color me impressed!

Originally Posted By: sciphi
All four corners got done. Like others, the front struts were relabeled OEM while the rear shocks were generic Tenneco. Combined with the Michelin Premiers on it, this little car rides very smoothly now while still retaining its go kart handling. Color me impressed!

What did you end up using for replacements?

I rode in a newer (maybe 6 years old, over 100k on it) civic last week, owned by an automotive service manager who likes to tinker on the weekends. he told me after trying different brands he preferred monroes the best. didn't tell me which. says they were more predictable in the hairpins on his daily commute and were less likely to bottom out on the edge.

I think monroe quality varies per line. I've had some very basic gas shocks that were an improvement but nothing special, and I've had very good experience with the sensa-trak and reflex shocks in the right application.

m

I've done struts on my newest Civic twice in 150k. For whatever reason the rubber on the top deteriorates and get horrible noises. The Civic I used to pull a trailer with and weigh down with heavy stuff never had the issue. Maybe I need to be meaner to the one I drive now.

My mistake, that wasn't clear. The car got OESpectrum suspension.

got it, thanks.

Did the front shocks say "SHOWA" on them? I recently got some Genuine Honda shocks from the dealer, and that was how they were labeled.

Last edited:
The fronts said Monroe on them. They were made in Japan, and were identical to the OEM struts.

The fronts said Monroe on them. They were made in Japan, and were identical to the OEM struts.

Interesting. Other than the made in Japan markings, were there any signs of the struts being made by an OEM supplier.

The new struts had the exact same drain holes in the spring perch as OEM, and were the same weight, and identical mounting points, including thickness of any stampings, to the OEM units off the car. The resemblance was uncanny.

The OESpectrum struts I bought for my 07 Sonata were clearly made by the OE supplier, Mando. Like the OP's, the were identical to the original equipment struts in every detail, except the OESpectrum were missing the "mando" stamp.

And I'm not talking "they were both black, so they were the same." Every detail as far as welding, country of origin, placement of other holes and markings. They were clearly made by Mando and were just missing the "mando" stamp.

Your car might not have adjustable camber from the factory, however, if 2 bolts hold the strut to the knuckle, you can buy a camber adjustment bolt. I get mine from Eibach, and pay $25-$30 from my local speed shop.

If the strut is held to the knuckle by a pinch bolt, you would have to adjust camber by installing a "camber plate." It is a spacer that goes between the upper strut mount and strut tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back