So, Where Do We Put Our Investment Money Now??

Status
Not open for further replies.
US Stock Market zoomed way back up and is near a high.

You know what's going on in Europe & Asia.

There's plenty of credit & debt concerns.

Say we need to re-balance/re-deploy. I'm 54 and retired early. Too much in "cash" accounts.
Bond Funds are not looking good.

Where should I (we) put our Regular, IRA & Roth investment money?

Last edited:
Many would say to stay put!
Others will say to put your money into the safe haven and ride it out there!

I would put the 401K/IRA monies into the safe spot! No Growth/No Loss!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Turk,

I thought you were a dividend investor that likes 'boring' stocks with a nice consistent yield ?

Yea, got some of that, not too much though. I'm a little heavy in mREIT's, which is good for income, but bad for total return unfortunately.

Got way too much in "cash accounts", but not sure what to do with it. "MINT"? Something else?

More "boring" stocks, like ED, PG, etc?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Do you know about Shorting?

SH, sure. Not a good track record in a 6 year bull market, lol.
Not sure I wanna go there.

My wife and I started our 12th year of retirement effective @ 0001 hours today.

We use Edward Jones through a local office and have been well pleased.

The metals market is just not doing well right now. Gold is way down now.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Turk,

I thought you were a dividend investor that likes 'boring' stocks with a nice consistent yield ?

Yea, got some of that, not too much though. I'm a little heavy in mREIT's, which is good for income, but bad for total return unfortunately.

Got way too much in "cash accounts", but not sure what to do with it. "MINT"? Something else?

More "boring" stocks, like ED, PG, etc?
smile.gif

Don't sell your mReits, they will come back. Whole Reit sector is oversold right now. I like the health related Reits - VTR,OHI,HTA,MPW,DOC are just a few. LXP is also cheap. ED & PG are both cheap and safe - same with JNJ. Avoid anything oil upstream - they'll be cheaper in 6 months after Iran comes online. Some good drug stocks - GSK and PFE also have room to go up. Technology should be higher in a few years - the IoT is exploding. I own INTC, MSFT, QCOM, SNDK, MU, AMAT & IDTI. I expect the DOW to hit 19k this year. Growth is so slow, I don't see a bubble yet.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Many would say to stay put!
Others will say to put your money into the safe haven and ride it out there!

I would put the 401K/IRA monies into the safe spot! No Growth/No Loss!
Inflation or devaluation of the dollar is a looser.

Not getting political here: It's been said that ACA (Obamacare) will help healthcare / pharmaceutical stocks.

I bought HCA 3 years ago, biggest hospital chain in the USA and ran very well. THC and UHC look to do well. I don't work for HCA but deal with their local CEO's, COO's, CFO's....etc...

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
For good Financial Advise, I like the web-site:
www.bogleheads.org

For me it's as good for investing as BITOG is for automotive info.
Bogleheads believe in:
* Low Cost
* Index Funds
* Stay the Coarse

+1 on this advice. Best is dollar averaging, investing xx a month.

I'm not an indexer but I'd agree that dollar cost averaging would be the way for the foreseeable future. Personally, I don't think that's ever wrong and you can make the decision to dump larger lump sums into the market once the near term volatility is settled and the market picture is clearer.

I've make good money with a diversified health care fund versus strict biotech or individual health care stocks over the last few years. That and financials might be a place to overweight for at least the next year or two.

I just make sure I have my 15% principal payment amount ready at the beginning of every year to put against my Mortgage.

I make an appointment at the bank, plop down the money, but have the monthly payment amounts reduced to reflect the reduction on the principal.

I do this to increase my cash flow, reduce monthly costs (which also reduces the amount of interest the bank gets).

Then each year with the added cash flow it makes meeting my next lump sum 15% easier to save for.

I figure, if you are an investment idiot, nothing beats simply increasing your cash flow by reducing your debt.

Money saved isn't taxable, so in Canada you have very few "free lunches" but reducing your mortgage is one of them as it has to be paid off anyway. In Canada you can't write off mortgage interest against earned income...

In Canada with our high taxes, this is the only safe thing I have found out that is risk free.

Last edited:
I hope Greece does pull out of the EU and then those pie-in-the-sky dudes will know what hurt really is. Five years of using borrowed funds and the country hasn't done squat to get their financial house in order. There is no free ride.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I figure, if you are an investment idiot, nothing beats simply increasing your cash flow by reducing your debt.

^^ YES!

That right there, along with eliminating credit card debt, will help one's finances (and planning for the future) more than most people realize. Pay off what debt you can first, then you have more available to save and invest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back